Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Once all the fibre is laid, what work needs to be done to your house/phone line to enable the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Whispers wrote: »
    Once all the fibre is laid, what work needs to be done to your house/phone line to enable the service?

Nada. That's what makes it so (comparatively) attractive. You might need a new router, but that's the height of it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

Khannie wrote: »
    Nada. That's what makes it so (comparatively) attractive. You might need a new router, but that's the height of it AFAIK.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Eircom were offering an option to have a tech come out and install the supplied router if you couldn't do it yourself?

I have a Belkin N300 as a router at the moment and it does me fine. Is there a list of routers compatible with the switch over?

briany wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Eircom were offering an option to have a tech come out and install the supplied router if you couldn't do it yourself?

That's a possibility alright. I'm not being a bollox, but that wouldn't have even crossed my mind. To a geek like me it's like asking if I want someone to come out and plug in my toaster. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

They are getting there , kn network's were laying a plinth on the main street in rush, at hand's lane today.
    Just on a off note , lusk / rush train station is now an eircom wifi hot spot , one of the lad's I know installed it last week , so it should be active by now.
    Tnk's SB,I had forgotten and was't taking in to account the six month's notice etc , which mean's that if rush / lusk / skerries etc (phase iv) is fully completed by say june / july , it won't be probably available till christmas/ new year time frame, which is why the company have listed the completion of phase iv for this dec.
    I'm now hoping , that's not six month's notice from next dec , meaning a going live date of next june 2014.
    I will ask around and see what the story is , I'd just assumed that once the may 20 th launch date had passed , that area's that were completed would be immediately made available to the public.

This is v bad news. The sales guy that sold be the eircom assured me that I'd be on fibre within 1 month. I was adement about this.
    very unhapppy if this is not the case. v unhappy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

I can confirm anyone signing up too or upgrading to the fibre will require a tech to vist to do a tech install.
    The link's to the 2 modem's are below ,

a zyxel modem ---- http://www.neatdesign.ie/index.php/projects/project/47-eircom-fibre-modem-3d-visuals

and a technicolour (thomson) ---- http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/digital-home/mediaaccess/dsl/advanced-service-gateways/vdsl/tg789vn-v3

GinjaNinja , eircom have not actually made public yet what exch's are being launched on 20th may , also depend's where you are , re exch area , hth's.
    I see KN network's installing vdsl cab plinth's in rush main st + church car park channel rd today , the one at rogerstown harbour is done.

I know Eircom are offering a free upgrade to the fibre once it's available in your area, wonder does that mean the new router as well. That would probably mean a new 12 month contract.

Are Sky using Eircom's backbone for their new offering? If so, I won't be rushing into any new agreement for a new router until I see their offering.

I can confirm anyone signing up too or upgrading to the fibre will require a tech to vist to do a tech install.
    The link's to the 2 modem's are below ,
    Khannie wrote: »
    That's a possibility alright. I'm not being a bollox, but that wouldn't have even crossed my mind. To a geek like me it's like asking if I want someone to come out and plug in my toaster. :o

If 10belowzero is correct, it would suggest that the install is not necessarily as simple as plugging the router into the phone line and the computer. It suggests some change at the hardware level besides the router. Why would Eircom be sending out techs otherwise? IIRC, when I got BB back in 2006, they just sent out the router with some instructions. No tech needed but I'm sure you could call one out if you were stuck. I hope it's not a power play by Eircom to exercise more control over what you do with the equipment. I've read some horror stories on Reddit regarding what companies like Comcast in America are trying to charge extra for or control to a extent like how you much you use WiFi or whether you have more than device hooked up. Hope Eircom don't start trying to pull any of that kind of shíte.

Yes it will mean a new modem , as an adsl modem , won't work with vdsl2 , although you should be able to bridge them , if need's be.
    The reason for a tech install is to ensure that the cust's c.p.e (cust prem's equip) is up to standard , also we will now be covering all companies c.p.e issue's , which we have not done up too now.
    Briany , ye can relax , it's just to make sure from the offset , cust's get the best speed available , the basic idea is to provide one wired modem point from the point of entry/ntu , if the cust require's one , if not cust can use the wireless option . The main point is to check for dodgy wiring , intl extn's etc , alarm's properly wired, that kind of thing.
    Sky are an wholesale cust of bt , who are in turn a wholesale cust's of eircom , so sky will have access to vdsl2 along with all the other competitor's from may 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

, which mean's that if rush / lusk / skerries etc (phase iv) is fully completed by say june / july , it won't be probably available till christmas/ new year time frame, which is why the company have listed the completion of phase iv for this dec.

oh ffs, I knew things just can't go smoothly in this Country

Please say it ain't so 10Below

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    oh ffs, I knew things just can't go smoothly in this Country

Please say it ain't so 10Below

I'm hoping that maybe Eircom are doing the old 'conservative estimate' routine so as to look good if they get it up sooner than the given time span. Can that 6 month thing be flexed if the resellers go to ComReg and announce that they're good to go in a given area?

if rush / lusk / skerries etc (phase iv) is fully completed by say june / july , it won't be probably available till christmas/ new year time frame

Riddle me this....will I get the full 24Mbps that I'm currently paying for and not getting in the mean-time?

They can give the 6 month notice early as they can get from pulling the last subduct in ( before groundworks/plinth) to fully commissioned and acquired by the OAM systems in 6 months, easily. KN and eircom are very much in the groove on deployment now and should be dropping 100 cabs onto plinths per WEEK ...nationwide by now.

They can give notice on a per exchange basis, Dec 2013 should mean BY Dec not IN Dec for many areas.

I think sponge bob's assessment above about sum's it up , better than I can so ,I'm just hoping that the north county area's along with other's that are completed will go live asap. I'm gonna use logic here ( I know I should know better by now , logic has no place in the modern business world)esp the comm's world, you would like to think that a list of exch's completed ready to go + those nearing completion along with a time schedule for the rest would have been presented to comreg and in turn to the other companies and the appropriate arrangement's made to facilitate (hate that word) these companies going forward on an on going basis(god i hate corporate clap trap).
    In all fairness all these companies will have access to vdsl 2 one way or another,be they eircom wholesale cust's , or wholesale reseller's , either way it's in eircom's + all the player's invovled interest to get as many people on vdsl2 asap.
    I have to say , it's not like this fibre roll out fell out of the sky yesterday , as usual all this should have been sorted last year by all concerned and not left till the train was leaving the station.

Absolutely gutted here to be honest. Got switched to eirCom today and the sync speed is less than Vodafone's.

Had a Barney with the sales guy. He's got some big backtracking boots on now. Talking June/ July maybe more for fibre.

First have to got sorted why I get such a crap sync speed. I'll keep you all posted.

I was thinking, there I go again , rush/lusk started 1feb - 6 month's = july , so when eircom approached comreg for an april launch , the ncd area's must have been included in the information given to comreg , my thinking now is 6 month's from april = aug/sept at the latest and phase iv to be completed by dec 2013.
    Also this roll out is mammoth in term's of logistic's , I would say nearly ,if not all phase iv is month's ahead of target , and some part's of phase v started.
    The whole operation of nga delivery is impressive to say the least , it has become a really well oiled machine at this stage , there must be easy 100/150 cab's a week being done across the country.
    I was a bit gloomy in my previous post , but as soon as I know more , you will too.

I just want to say fair play to you 10below. It's great getting the updates. Really appreciate it.

Here is a link to the E FIBRE FAQ section, http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94}&t=hintsandtips&problem=general

and http://www.eircom.net/ngamigrations/nga-migration-flow.htm?execution=e1s1

A poster tommy langan from letterkenny posted this on the main b/b forum
    Letter in the post today lads, gave me a link to an upgrade section on eircoms site. Gives me pricing and everything.
    Here's the info:
    http://imgur.com/rWCeHnP
    http://imgur.com/Iw6TRLS
    KN network's have started installing vdsl 2 plinth's in lusk , starting with the cab in traen hill outside bentley steel work's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Anyone know whats involved in the installation, are new phonelines required etc...

No , you will not need a new phone line , we will how ever test your line for any fault's and rectify them before installing a new ntu + splitter socket , check existing internal wiring , and will run a new cable to a modem point if required or the customer may wish to use the modem wirelessly.
    A friend had their b/band upgrade in Sword's on monday , he's about 300 mts from the cab, he's getting 50mb , and 70mb is available if he want's it.
    KN service's were installing plinth's in St Catherine's + Palmer Rd today.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

A friend had their b/band upgrade in Sword's on monday , he's about 300 mts from the cab, he's getting 50mb , and 70mb is available if he want's it.

10below, thanks for all these updates. Its great to see the new cabs being installed across the north county.

Im actually getting an eircom phone and bb installed in my place tomorrow (new connection - Swords). Im at most 300m from the new fibre cab installed in Ridgewood. Do you think new customers/connections will be put onto fibre bb or would they be given "normal" bb and told to upgrade at a later date ?

• Advertisement

Thanks 10below, keep the info comming.

Cab getting installed in brookford yesterday :)

On a side note, I got the profile changed on my line and am back to a decent level, syninc @ 7000Kbps. :)

Ginja , Brookford ain't too bad speed wise , you should have no problem with speed when vdsl goes live.The cab's in rush are poping up now 3 more installed today, that I seen main st (hand's lane) , church car park and Rogerstown harbour.I seen the KN truck with about 12 cab's on the back, going out to Lusk this morning
    How did you get on today Mitch , are you on the fibre , what speed you getting down/up?.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Hey.

I've been paying for 8 meg package for the past 2-3 years but my line can only handle 2 meg. I was wondering:

1. When will Rush be approximately done with upgrading?
    2. If I am paying for the 8 meg but only getting 2, how can I get the speeds up to 8 meg? Do I have to ring Eircom and ask them? Or will the speeds go up to 8 meg automatically when all the cabling in Rush is done?
    3. Does anybody know how much Fibre BB with Unlimited Usage will cost? I know that when upgraded, you'd get into new contract (18 months).

Also, for the past month I've been getting 200-210kb/sec solid download speed. In early March and earlier, been only getting 180-190kb/sec. For the past week or so, I've been getting a ping above 80 during the day and late evening. Used to get 40-60.

Btw, I think the VDSL hub in St. Catherine's is done. Checked it out yesterday evening. Will post pics soon.

I'm hoping by june/ july (north county area's,don't shoot me if I'm a bit off),as we all are , because of the distance to St Catherine's 2/3 mb is the best speed you can expect on adsl.
    No you will not be upgraded automatically , you will need to apply (though the upgrade is free) ,http://www.eircom.net/ngamigrations/nga-migration-flow.htm?execution=e1s1

Price's / contract's etc I woul't have a clue , it's a veritable minefield , I leave that kind of thing to the expert's and other member's who are more savy on these issue's , though I'm sure product's will be priced to compete.

E fibre faq will give you more info -- http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94}&t=hintsandtips&problem=general

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056555985

the 2 threads in the broadband forum with all the info ya need.

prices will be approx the same as is now, but with unlimited dl.

http://www.eircom.net/efibre/form/

teh link for registering.

K&N have the whole road dug up at Murray's in Lusk, so presume that this is something to do with the fibre.

Haven't seen The Eircom guys around for a while, so maybe their work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Whispers wrote: »
    K&N have the whole road dug up at Murray's in Lusk, so presume that this is something to do with the fibre.

Haven't seen The Eircom guys around for a while, so maybe their work is done.

Is that not something to do with the Lusk Traffic Scheme?

Wasn't even aware that there was a plan for Lusk traffic. Just Googled it and I am now.

If that's the case, then maybe the majority of the work in Chapel Farm is done, as I haven't seen The Eircom guys in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Eircom never came to install my phone / BB on Friday. They rescheduled my appointment for a later date. Fingers crossed when they do it will be fibre.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Mitch , hopefully they will sort you soon.
    The majority of the fibre is 99% done to the cab's , it's the civil's for the installation of power supply etc that can hold up the vdsl cab installion's, eg where the road + footpath on both side's have to be opened , it involve's a licence to open road + foot path , traffic permit's , as well as the planning permission for each site on an individual basis.
    There is a lot going on behind the scene's across the different area's, 2 crew's were blowing fibre in Rush today , the cab in kenure pk is done , it's hard to keep up with them, it's not in the home straight yet , but getting there.

Advertisement