Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Gas, rolling out Fibre in Dublin when large areas of the country can't even get standard Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Biffo have you checked the NGA site .... http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access ,, the roll out is countrywide. There are more than a few area's in NCD that can't get broadband at the moment at all , and a lot on 1mb , it's these people I hope will see a major improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Biffo have you checked the NGA site .... http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access ,, the roll out is countrywide. There are more than a few area's in NCD that can't get broadband at the moment at all , and a lot on 1mb , it's these people I hope will see a major improvement.

I didn't know that, cheers for the link. Any idea how close you have to be to one of those exchanges to avail of the service? I presume it'll be Fibre in the towns and some kind of wireless or mobile technology for the rural areas when it's all said and done?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Is Eircom's offering fibre to the cabinet and then copper wire to the house? This means that speed will depend on distance to the cabinet.

Whereas, as I understand UPC fibre is to the house, so the speed they advertise is the one you get.

Is this the key difference between the two offerings?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Whispers wrote: »
    This means that speed will depend on distance to the cabinet.

Just on that queston, does anyone know what is the minimum speed we can expect?.....as I'm a good distance from the cabinet that serves my house :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

UPC fibre is to the house

Are UPC offering fibre to the house in the sticks? (i.e. North of Swords) Seems unlikely to me. I'm in Skerries and I think FTTH is unlikely in the next 10 years given population densities here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Khannie wrote: »
    Are UPC offering fibre to the house in the sticks

Yes, they offer it in parts of Lusk and parts of some estates, but not the rest. Think it might have to do with who owns the ducting now that the management company have gone bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Is Eircom's offering fibre to the cabinet and then copper wire to the house? This means that speed will depend on distance to the cabinet.

Whereas, as I understand UPC fibre is to the house, so the speed they advertise is the one you get.

Is this the key difference between the two offerings?

Not quite correct as I understand it. UPC use a Hybrid Fibre Coax network which it fibre to a cab and then a coax copper loop to serve each house. So much the same as eircom as in a FTTC(ab) network. Of course things could have changed and I could be wrong but this is a recent press release showing what technology they are using http://www.upc.ie/pdf/PR%20190711%20Broadband%20Press%20Release.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Just on that queston, does anyone know what is the minimum speed we can expect?.....as I'm a good distance from the cabinet that serves my house :(

how far from the Cab as the crow flies?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

once your within 400m you will get full speed

• Advertisement

Biffo , if your exch area is on the list or it may be announced in phase 6 , our fellow boardie's are mapping the new vdsl cab's like good thing's all over the country ..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

They are two different technology's being used by eircom / upc , although very similar in network layout term's , being fibre to a cab and copper cable pair's in eircom's case and co axial cable with upc to cover the '' last mile'' to the customer's premises.If you have a look thru the broadband forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056555985
    it was really well explained in detail , by one of our most marvellous poster's there.
    I'm waiting to see how it perform's over distance , one plus is , that the vdsl cab also handle's adsl2 , Which will make a difference to cust's on the outer limit's of b/band.All the report's I've heard are good , but they have all been on estate's and all were capable of max speed,We will know a lot more by this time next month.
    Khannie , any sign of new cab's yet in Skerries , new vdsl cab installed in traen hill ,lusk , the traffic delay's on whitestown rd today was KN service's installing a new vdsl plinth/ jct old rd.

10below

any chance you might know when Dun Emer in Lusk are getting the cabs installed?

Khannie , any sign of new cab's yet in Skerries

I haven't been keeping an eye out to be honest. I live very close to the exchange so the cabs wont affect me so much. Unless there's some weirdness with how the cables were laid originally I'll definitely be getting my feed from the exchange - my line is currently saying it can sync at around 21Mbps, so I expect close to the full whack when fibre comes online.

I did see 3 people had marked them on the map though so there's definitely some work going on around Skerries.

Kingtiger , will be soon I imagine ,as in anytime now ,their are 2 cab's serving Dun Emer ,a vdsl plinth has also been installed in Tayleurs Point, Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

I really can't wait for the Fibre Broadband. I am sick of getting 200 max dl speed... Can't even play games online properly. I hope that they get everything done by the end of the summer or earlier. By the way, on that NGA website it says that Rush should have Fibre launched by December or January but what if they will finish earlier like in August or September? Do we really have to wait until Dec or Jan knowing that the Fibre is ready to be launched? Is there any way to get them to launch it earlier?

DezoLord wrote: »
    Do we really have to wait until Dec or Jan knowing that the Fibre is ready to be launched?

I think so, unfortunately. :(

What I'd like to know is, will I get the full 24Mbps that my line should be capable of once the fibre is in place (e.g. in November).

I think it will be sooner rather than later , Dezo - Khannie I think you will be o/k , their are some line's in Skerries that are direct from the exch , what they have been doing is puting new cabnet's on the route of the direct cable , so if anything the exch move's closer again.
    Below , some new cab's installed this week , namely , hands lane , kenure pk ,old rd court , church car park in Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

kingtiger wrote: »
    how far from the Cab as the crow flies?

Probably 1.5km

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Probably 1.5km

here is a table from the link below, but of course this is only a rough guide

Distance Speed
    100m 100 Mbps
    200m 65 Mbps
    300m 45 Mbps
    400m 42 Mbps
    500m 38 Mbps
    600m 35 Mbps
    700m 32 Mbps
    800m 28 Mbps
    900m 25 Mbps
    1000m 24 Mbps
    1250m 17 Mbps
    1500m 15 Mbps

good explanation for FTTC / FTTH

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Thank you very much for all your information.

Does anybody know where the exchange point in Rush is?

• Advertisement

The Eircom exch is at Beau Hill on the Rush side of the train station , you will find it and the new vdsl site's here --- https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0 --- zoom in on Rush / Lusk or your area, holy moley boardies are like bee's mapping the vdsl cab's across the country , NCD is the best mapped , Mucho Kudos to you all.

What area are you in Dezo ? .
    On another off note , their is a new adsl Zyxel modem being issued by eircom , and we are at last now being allowed to swap out faulty modem's at customer's premises ,which mean's cust's don't have to wait for a replacement from a courier or the post anymore (some postal delivery will still be used I'm sure), the other companies declined Eircom's offer to provide this service for them , from what I'm told , probably as well as I'd need a trailer to carry them all.We are also being issued the new E Fibre modem's in the next week or so.

Wow that's great! Finally.

10belowzero, I don't understand the FTTC chart. The exchange area is at Beau Hill, right? I live around 3-4kms from it, so what speed I should be getting approximately? Do I have to calculate the distance between the exchange area to my house or the closest VDSL hub to my house?

For vdsl your distance from the exch has no bearing , for adsl it does at present.
    You need to look at the distance to your nearest vdsl cab to get a rough idea of the speed to expect.I do know the speed at the vdsl cab is in excess of a 100 mb , and know of people able where 100 mb is obtainable at 300 mts(although speed is limited to 70mb max at present) .
    All this again depend's on the network layout and other factor's , if you are close to an vdsl cab , you should have no problem , as I've said before , I'm waiting to see how it perform's over distance.

Alright, thank you very much.

So you said the new routers are out, right? Do we have to ring Eircom and ask for a replacement or are they going to send them out?

Adsl modem's are replaced when an existing modem is faulty , the new E fibre vdsl 2 modem will be provided by the eircom tech when upgrading your line for the vdsl 2 installation.

Alright then, gonna ring them on Monday.

The day I get E Fibre , I'm gonna take the day off and run speed test's for the whole day , just to see the speed improvement (I hope)+ numerous ping test's , wow am I getting sadder with age or what , only messing , but I do have a hell of a lot online gaming to catch up on.
    Dezo , eircom are not taking order's for E Fibre till may 20th , you can register your interest here ---- http://www.eircom.net/efibre/ - if you wish.

Haha, me too. I'd be gaming 24/7.

Do they work on the sites on Saturdays or only during the week? A week ago they were working on Sat in St. Catherine's and I was like 'wow'. xD

Yes , they are working 7 day's in some location's , traffic issue's etc and for target reason's as well ,St Catherines + Lambay View won't know it'self when vdsl goes live.

• Advertisement

We should write up a letter and get signatures and send it out to Fingal. D North needs a better BD ASAP!

Advertisement