Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller unemployment 84.3 percent.

• 18-10-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

Traveller unemployment 84.3 percent.This figure seems to be very high for one section of our society.Most of the traveller people i observe are driving newish vehicles .Also they seem to be very busy at markets and scrap metal dealers .Am i missing something .Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

bigroad wrote: »
    Traveller unemployment 84.3 percent.This figure seems to be very high for one section of our society.Most of the traveller people i observe are driving newish vehicles .Also they seem to be very busy at markets and scrap metal dealers .Am i missing something .Discuss.

Having seen the scams pulled by Irish Travellers abroad on the TV3 documentary I can only say I have little confidence in that little statistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I think it probably refers to the fact that 84.3% are probably collecting unemployment benefit. That obviously doesn't mean that they are not doing other things on the side :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Yes, a roaring trade in criminal activity & ripping off the Irish taxpayer at every opportunity.

Heard a statistic a few years ago that travellers make up 1% of the Irish population but 10% of our prison population. So no surprise their driving around in brand new vehicles & are as well to do as they are.

The thing with travellers that pisses me off the most is that they have complete disregard for the settled community yet are extremely keen to sponge off our welfare system.

It should be a case of start contributing to Irish society in a constructive way or piss off but knowing this government we'll probably increase their entitlements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I'm surprised its not higher tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I think it probably refers to the fact that 84.3% are probably collecting unemployment benefit. That obviously doesn't mean that they are not doing other things on the side :D

This, multiplied by 84.3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

For clarification: Is it 84.3 unemployed or 84.3 have declared unemployment?

Spain claims an unemployment rate of 25% with 5 million unemployed.
    The actual figure for being unemployed is commonly regarded as significantly lower than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If your "contribution" to this discussion is going to consist solely of a derogatory comment of some kind about Travelers, you should reconsider posting, however witty you think you're about to be.

Red cards and deletions for Slunk and bbam.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Slunk wrote: »
    I'm surprised its not higher tbh.

+1 on that.

I was slightly involved (due to my work) with a group of travellers several years ago. Lovely people until they got a few drinks in them: then, avoid like the f**king plague! Anyhoo, I was asking them had they ever had an ordinary wage-paying job and they laughed their arses off. The idea never even occurred to them. Now, there were several reasons for it - they moved around a lot, nobody would hire a traveller etc - but the bottom line was that they signed on at 18 and continued doing so for the rest of their lives.

I have never met a working (i.e not signing on) traveller. They do their own little bits and pieces on the side but always in conjunction with receiving social welfare. On that basis, I'm quite surprised that 1 in 6 are employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I would think the other 1 in 6 are getting disability or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Also thought it would be higher.

But then if you either don't attend school or leave at 12 or 13 you are not going to be well equipped to get a job.

But there's also the fact that do many of them want a standard job like me and you have? I would also say that a high % of that figure have a means of income other than the dole.

I hope I have not said anything that will get me a red card!

• Advertisement

I wonder what the figure for travelers in actual tax-contributing employment is?

What can be done? There are no plans to touch the dole in the upcoming budget and even if they did, I'm sure there would be some sort of exemption that you can claim if you live in a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Traveller unemployment 84.3 percent.
    +
    leonidas83 wrote: »
    but 10% of our prison population.

=
    95.3%

4.7% - health benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Am i missing something
    Yes, a source.

But hey, I did your work for you ;)
    http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2012pressreleases/pressreleasecensus2011profile7religionethnicityandirishtravellers/
    Unemployment
    Unemployment in the Irish Traveller community was 84.3 per cent in 2011, up from 74.9 per cent five years earlier. Out of a total labour force of 9,973, 86.6 per cent of the 5,829 males were unemployed while 81.2 per cent of the 4,144 women were without work. The labour force participation rate among Travellers was 57.3 per cent compared with 61.9 per cent for the general population.
    Discuss
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

years ago you used to have really poor travellers calling door to door begging,you don't see that anymore,weird with so many of them out of work.I know alot of settled people are out of work & not begging,just saying it used to be a way of life for them.whats changed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

years ago you used to have really poor travellers calling door to door begging,you don't see that anymore,weird with so many of them out of work.I know alot of settled people are out of work & not begging,just saying it used to be a way of life for them.whats changed?

Well, where to start

There was the increase in the dole (not far off 200e), the generous allowances they receive on it (fuel, pet, wipe my arse allowance) & then the breakdown of our judicial system which has resulted in extremely lenient sentences for them when they do commit crimes thereby eradicating any deterrent for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

To be quite plain, something is awry with travellers. They are clearly a drain on the welfare system yet many seem to be reasonably well off. If they are abusing the welfare system then assessors need to be in regular contact with them, if they are involved in cash in hand work then revenue need to be on the case too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If any group is claiming 84.3% unemployment then it deserves greater scrutiny for if it is true lets address it and if they are abusing the system and working on the side, lets address that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I would think the other 1 in 6 are getting disability or something similar.

If they're getting disability payments they wouldn't be included in unemployment figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Heard a statistic a few years ago that travellers make up 1% of the Irish population but 10% of our prison population.
    And about 50% of our A&E population.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Makes my blood boil tbh. I've seen first hand a brand new group of houses built for travellers, finished to a very high standard (roads perfect, landscaped etc.) and all completed very quickly, while at the same time, a private estate close by where residents forked out over €300k each during the Tiger are fighting with the council to get the roads and lights finished.

It's disgusting that a small section of our population that largely contribute little in terms of taxes (aside from anything else) is looked after like that when those who are struggling to provide for their families are treated like crap by our councils.

• Advertisement

I'm just surprised that 15.7% of them are contributing to taxes in the country!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm just surprised that 15.7% of them are contributing to taxes in the country!

They aren't, they're just not on some sort of jobseekers benefit - probably disability or some such.

The whole debate about travelers and their lifestyles has to be opened up. The same laws should be applied to everyone in the country. It can't continue to be "ok" that 84% can sign on indefinitely unquestioned, that they pull their children out of school once the very basics of reading and adding have been acheived, that they evade tax, abuse our hospital and other public services, drive uninsured and unlicenced, flout the law and get away with it because everyone pussyfoots around them and their culture.

Of couse settled people are capable of all this too but clearly, clearly it's rampant among the traveling community. It's inarguable that this is ingrained in their culture and they fully believe that they are entitled to live that way. They believe it because they are let.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

surely the life style is not suited to employment so therefore they should be considered more like the self employed and thus given a sort of income support not unemployment benefit.

This is a point that is often over looked and needs to be made there are a lot of respectable travellers who don't cause any trouble but we only get to here about the one who cause trouble.

mariaalice wrote: »
    This is a point that is often over looked and needs to be made there are a lot of respectable travellers who don't cause any trouble but we only get to here about the one who cause trouble.
    Of course there are respectable ones, that goes without saying..... but 84% signing on displays a community wide sense on entitlement to take more from the system than they contribute. It's illustrative of the disregard they have for society as a whole.

Anyone know how many there actually are in Ireland?

84% of what figure exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know how many there actually are in Ireland?

84% of what figure exactly?

36,224 total population according to pavee point,

According to CSO 2011

Irish Travellers (Number) 29,573

In the 2011 census 4683 are aged 0-4 and 7481 aged 5-14 years, 734 are aged 65+

3688 between the ages of 15 and 64 have a disability

The type of household they live in
    Permanent private 23,967
    Temporary private 3,487
    Not stated 1,044

and here is they type of work they find employment in

Irish Travellers Aged 15 Years and Over in the Labour Force (Number) by
    Sex, Broad Industrial Group and Census Year
    Both sexes
    Agriculture, forestry and fishing (A) 33
    Mining and quarrying (B) 1
    Manufacturing (C) 54
    Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply (D) 2
    Water supply; sewerage, waste management and remediation activities (E) 21
    Construction (F) 57
    Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles (G) 117
    Transportation and storage (H) 28
    Accommodation and food service activities (I) 35
    Information and communication (J) 6
    Financial and insurance activities (K) 3
    Real estate activities (L) ..
    Professional, scientific and technical activities (M) 8
    Administrative and support service activities (N) 56
    Public administration and defence; compulsory social security (O) 45
    Education (P) 118
    Human health and social work activities (Q) 204
    Arts, entertainment and recreation (R) 17
    Other service activities (S) 33
    Activities of households as employers producing activities of households for own use (T) 7
    Activities of extraterritorial organisations and bodies (U) 1
    Industry not stated 8,152
    Total at work 8,998
    Unemployed Looking for first regular job 822
    Unemployed, having lost or given up previous job 7,589
    Total in labour force 17,409

Boombastic wrote: »
    Total at work 8,998
    Unemployed Looking for first regular job 822
    Unemployed, having lost or given up previous job 7,589
    Total in labour force 17,409
    how does that square with 84% signing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Don't forget some are signing on twice, maybe three times so the figure says 84% in unemployment but it's not that many really. Also revenue need to get stricter or CAB more active if they are earning money through un lawful means should be investigated. Saw documentary lately about social welfare fraud and even if convicted of fraud still entitled to social welfare. Ain't that just great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

McTigs wrote: »

I'm not too sure tbh

In the CSO press release accompanying this report the total labour force is 9,973:confused: Any idea where the other 7121 people went?

Unemployment
    Unemployment in the Irish Traveller community was 84.3 per cent in 2011, up from 74.9 per cent five years earlier. Out of a total labour force of 9,973, 86.6 per cent of the 5,829 males were unemployed while 81.2 per cent of the 4,144 women were without work. The labour force participation rate among Travellers was 57.3 per cent compared with 61.9 per cent for the general population.

Disability
    Irish Travellers had higher rates of disability than the general population. In 2011, 17.5 per cent of Irish Travellers had one or more disabilities compared with 13 per cent for the State as a whole. Amongst Irish Travellers, the most common type of disability was ‘difficulty with pain, breathing or any other chronic illness’ (7.7%).

This irish times breaks down these figures as

'Out of a total labour force of 9,973, 86.6% of the 5,828 males were unemployed while 81.2% of the 4,144 women were without work.'

McTigs wrote: »

You need slightly more detailed work:

Age Group|Total|Labour Force|Employer/Self|Employee|Family|Currently Unemployed|Never Employed|NE %|NE/UP %
    15 - 24 years|6066|3522|19|320|14|557|2612|74.16%|89.98%
    25 - 34 years|4374|2816|56|374|6|157|2223|78.94%|84.52%
    35 - 44 years|3195|1917|73|327|3|61|1453|75.80%|78.98%
    45 - 54 years|1968|1136|46|194|4|39|853|75.09%|78.52%
    55 - 64 years|1072|511|31|81|2|8|389|76.13%|77.69%

The columns above are self-explanatory, I hope. The average of the last column is the 82% or so signing on figure - it's a combination of those that are temporarily unemployed, having previously worked, and those that have never worked. The average for the latter figure is 76%.

The "total in labour force" isn't particularly unusual, by the way. As per the CSO press release, it's lower, but not much lower, than the labour force participation rate for the general populace.

I'd be interested to see comparative figures for some inner city areas, but those are going to be harder to get.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

crusher000 wrote: »
    Don't forget some are signing on twice, maybe three times so the figure says 84% in unemployment but it's not that many really. Also revenue need to get stricter or CAB more active if they are earning money through un lawful means should be investigated. Saw documentary lately about social welfare fraud and even if convicted of fraud still entitled to social welfare. Ain't that just great.

Wonder if thats ( signing on twice, maybe three times ) still true, and to what extent? And rumours exist of some travellers signing on in both sides of the border / both jurisdictions? Hard to prove where they spend most of their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Boombastic wrote: »
    36,224 total population according to pavee point,

According to CSO 2011

Irish Travellers (Number) 29,573

In the 2011 census 4683 are aged 0-4 and 7481 aged 5-14 years, 734 are aged 65+

3688 between the ages of 15 and 64 have a disability

The type of household they live in
    Permanent private 23,967
    Temporary private 3,487
    Not stated 1,044

Are we going to see a large rise in the traveller population in nthe next 20 years 25% of the population are between 5-14 and 16% are under the age of 4. From this we can assume that over 50% are under the age of 20.

Due to there culture they marry young in there late teens or early twenties so are we looking at the population doubling in the next twenty years. This will be a drain on resources unless they can be assilimated into the labour force. However there school attendance is irregular and the seem to leave the School system early how can this be rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You are not missing a thing... The travellers are a unique kind of people and imo the real Irish.

They have serious cunning and bravado (A bold manner) of which makes them successful in their endeavours.

I met a few travellers through the years and they were very sound/nice, but you do meet the odd spacer of which you would find in any county/country but the majority are very nice folk. This garbage tabloid junk is a way of pushing attention away from the real deal big wigs and force-focusing it to the unemployed and now directing it to the traveller folk.

This country is fcuked, and putting the focus on the vulnerable and the real Irish folk (travellers) is a low and a weak stance from the government and the settled people of Ireland.

They want us to attack each other so it will keep the people busy and not question or try to question government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I had very right wing views regarding Travellers, which even upset family. I'll say it.

Well thats what happens when you work in an civil service office and live in a cul-de-sac with a nice stable income. That goes for most of you who never had to work in a shop or a bar in your lives. Thats why you have your very rosy socialist smurfy sense of the world. Its not all happy clappy kumbayah brother out there. There are nasty stereotypes and nasty people, and there are reasons behind them. Mine sadly are based on experience, and to be quite frank, Scofflaw, Dades and nesf and the likes will get their nice politically correct moderator hat on and ban the messenger. Sorry guys.....its the truth and you can't handle the truth, so I'll leave you in your nice happy clappy world where Travellers are 'oppressed' because of their brains, their talent, their ability at pub quizzes, and talent at tiddly winks, their innovation with music and science. Oh Sorry sunshine, its not, because the real oppressed through history are the Jews due to their talent. Then there are people who are oppressed because they have NO talent beyond petty criminal activity, short tempers and mindless violence. Get used to it. When I see an emaciated looking skanger in a tracksuit and a Celtic Jersey I don't think "seems like a nice chap". I just KNOW, that its not going to say anything coherent in anything resembling a dialect of English apart from Wayne Rooney effwit.

Breaking a criminal cycle that seems to be accepted for generations needs tools. The welfare state is still needed. I could go all 'Frederick Verwoerd' on them and the issue, but that would reflect badly on me more so. One decent settled traveller told me once.

"Jesus D, if you think that gob****e is bad (referring to his brother), you should see whats about to come over from the East (referring to the European Union). We won't know what hit us"

[MOD]Yes, with nice politically correct moderator hat on, red carded, variously for the straw man, the backseat moderation, and ignoring the topic under discussion in order to have a rant.[/MOD]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its well known about the travellers collecting the social and working full time as well. Been going on for decades. You really dont need an official figure of 84.3% to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I'd be curious as to the % of unemployed among the cohort of the general population that left school without a junior/intermediate/group cert and who haven't completed an apprenticeship. Taking kids out of school before they've learned enough to be functioning members of the modern workforce could, in a certain light, be viewed as abuse.

While it's all very well to have an independent culture, in order to make your way in the real world you need a job and. other than those who can work remotely over the internet, I don't see how it is possible to be nomadic and legitimately employed at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that the Census measure of unemployment is a survey question, and so is not a measure of those in receipt of unemployment payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Maybe it's time for a mobile home / caravan levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Guys almost 0 % of travellers finish school. It is only one or two who do the leaving cert not even enough to have a traveller sitting every year.

Girls almost NEVER finish school and there is cultural pressure on them to have families early and LOTS of pressure to stay at home and not work.

They endure a lot of abuse in school.

Lack of education is a huge cause of many issues i think. Along with encouraging girls to marry and have children young and before they are mature enough to be ready.

Without literacy skills (many cannot read or write) what type ofemployment can they do.

Eduacation I feel is key. And encouraging women to change traveller society for the better.

If travellers want equal rights (which they should have of course) then women must have this too.

Also fighting for HUGE cash prizes (both sides might put up 100,000 ) are held hre or sometimes over in Britain. They actually train for them for months. It is usually bare knuckle but not always. It is big cash for whoever wins.

I don't have issues with travellers I simplythin they have been edged out of the education system for whatever reason either because of their lifestyle or discrimmination. But that lack of education has damaged their society.

Many cannot evenreador write. And this figure is higher amongst women.

They are probably the most excluded group in our society today.

I remember a documentary here some American researchers studied a group of travellers. One of the traveller men said that what he remembered the most about them was the respect that they showed towards him and other travellers. They treated them like human beings and he had never experienced that before.

Lets face it people (leave out the state for a minute) treat travellers terribly. Wose than any social group.

Remember John Joe Nevin....our Boxer who got a medal for Ireland? Remeber the horrible twitter incident??

Even you win gold for your country Irish people give travellers no respect.

Can you blame them for perhaps being angry with the state? They probably gro up resenting the settled community for treating them from birth like dirt.

Think of every insult they must hear...everyday....you would get angry.

I am not saying their apathy and any fraud is justified. But maybe it's understandable.

And education wise the stats are pretty bad. And traveller women have other issues..
    'Their male-dominated culture sometimes means that Traveller males may show little respect for female staff delivering education and training programmes.'..that is from Traveller Education Strategy Submission Dermot Stokes, National Co-ordinator YOUTHREACH, Department of Education and Science. It is advice for how to deal with and try to help travellers. That is for womenoustide of the community trying to help so you can imagine what it might be like for women in that very community.

Lets not kid ourselves...if even he you win an olympic medal people i yoour country behave in that disgusting manner it mans things are bad.

This is not a traveller problem ....it is a problem with our community and travellers and the state.

We have to get traveller children in education and keep them in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We haven't had a Traveller bashing thread in ages. Anyhoo, a few points.

Wealthy Travellers are not the norm. A lot of employers wouldn't even entertain a Traveller's CV. There are also huge literacy problems in the TC especially the men.

Housing Travellers is a very deliberate attempt at 'civilising the natives'. Many Travellers absolutely loathe the idea of being anchored to a fixed abode.

Successive Irish governments have made an almighty balls of the Traveller issue by trying to integrate them with settled people rather than catering to their unique needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

catering to their unique needs.

What exactly are their unique needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Guys almost 0 % of travellers finish school. It is only one or two who do the leaving cert not even enough to have a traveller sitting every year.

Girls almost NEVER finish school and there is cultural pressure on them to have families early and LOTS of pressure to stay at home and not work.

They endure a lot of abuse in school.

Lack of education is a huge cause of many issues i think. Along with encouraging girls to marry and have children young and before they are mature enough to be ready.

Without literacy skills (many cannot read or write) what type ofemployment can they do.

Eduacation I feel is key. And encouraging women to change traveller society for the better.

If travellers want equal rights (which they should have of course) then women must have this too.

Also fighting for HUGE cash prizes (both sides might put up 100,000 ) are held hre or sometimes over in Britain. They actually train for them for months. It is usually bare knuckle but not always. It is big cash for whoever wins.

I don't have issues with travellers I simplythin they have been edged out of the education system for whatever reason either because of their lifestyle or discrimmination. But that lack of education has damaged their society.

Many cannot evenreador write. And this figure is higher amongst women.

They are probably the most excluded group in our society today.

I remember a documentary here some American researchers studied a group of travellers. One of the traveller men said that what he remembered the most about them was the respect that they showed towards him and other travellers. They treated them like human beings and he had never experienced that before.

Lets face it people (leave out the state for a minute) treat travellers terribly. Wose than any social group.

Remember John Joe Nevin....our Boxer who got a medal for Ireland? Remeber the horrible twitter incident??

Even you win gold for your country Irish people give travellers no respect.

Can you blame them for perhaps being angry with the state? They probably gro up resenting the settled community for treating them from birth like dirt.

Think of every insult they must hear...everyday....you would get angry.

I am not saying their apathy and any fraud is justified. But maybe it's understandable.

And education wise the stats are pretty bad. And traveller women have other issues..
    'Their male-dominated culture sometimes means that Traveller males may show little respect for female staff delivering education and training programmes.'..that is from Traveller Education Strategy Submission Dermot Stokes, National Co-ordinator YOUTHREACH, Department of Education and Science. It is advice for how to deal with and try to help travellers. That is for womenoustide of the community trying to help so you can imagine what it might be like for women in that very community.

Lets not kid ourselves...if even he you win an olympic medal people i yoour country behave in that disgusting manner it mans things are bad.

This is not a traveller problem ....it is a problem with our community and travellers and the state.

We have to get traveller children in education and keep them in school.
    We haven't had a Traveller bashing thread in ages. Anyhoo, a few points.

Wealthy Travellers are not the norm. A lot of employers wouldn't even entertain a Traveller's CV. There are also huge literacy problems in the TC especially the men.

Housing Travellers is a very deliberate attempt at 'civilising the natives'. Many Travellers absolutely loathe the idea of being anchored to a fixed abode.

Successive Irish governments have made an almighty balls of the Traveller issue by trying to integrate them with settled people rather than catering to their unique needs.

Well folks its going to be a hard sell to Joe Public...
    We hear all the time that "its only a tiny minority" of travellers who act antisocially. I think the general public have a very different view indeed.. I remember my father saying that travellers used to be far more accepted as they would do odd jobs in an area and then move on to do the same elsewhere.. This is my understanding of true traveller lifestyle..

They see over time to have lost this ability, possibly partly because society has developed beyond the need for such travelling workforce.

Truly the travelling community need to make an effort to be less anti-social when they arrive in a locality. If it is indeed only this tiny minority it won't be a big job, we all know what they need to do...
    No more treating the countryside like a private dump.
    Only parking where they are actually welcome.
    No illegal activity on the roads..

A bit of effort on their behalf would go along way to redeeming their culture.
    It is they who have the benefits to reap and them who claim its only such a tiny minority who cause trouble.. they need to either act or be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

juan.kerr wrote: »
    What exactly are their unique needs?

Nomadism.
    bbam wrote: »
    we all know what they need to do...

'We' do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Why is the CAB not on the backs on the travelling community that are involved in the Drug Trade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The high number can be put down to.the low education and poor levels of literacy.
    Throw the view on women in the work place would be more traditional, in that they are expected to be at home.

They are also our indigneous nomadic tribe, being nomadic doesn't help to hold down a full time job.

Add into the mix that they have a higher conviction rate than settled folk also doesn't bode well for them.

Then there are those who don't wish to work.in a conventional way.

Th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reviewing traveller self accounts of their lifestyle - documentaries, interviews, research etch - the following appear to be normal practices within traveller families

Children are taken out of School by their parents around the age of 12-14 due to further education been seen as a waste of time especially for girls

Children are also taken out of a school to facilitate moving between Ireland, UK etc. this is a feature of their lifestyle and is self selected

Traveller children are 'apprenticed' into the family 'business' - scrap, Tarmac etc (boys) learning to 'keep' house (girls) before having arranged marriages at an early age

Children themselves see staying in school as something that is not for them

Outside employment is more often than not definitely no t seen as a goal by most travellers who prefer to work in the family business

Many traveller families travel between Ireland, England and Europe undertaking such 'business' activities. There have been several published cases of travellers done for dubious business practises in France, Spain and other countries

The transient lifestyle allows travellers to pursue self employment and also claim social welfare across a number of jurisdictions.

Many travellers own property in Ireland and abroad, have lavish lifestyles in terms of weddings, new vehicles and caravans. And yet are able to claim social welfare

It is true that not all travellers fall into this class but many do. A quick tour of Rathkeale in Limerick will have many large traveller houses - locked up with security fencing etc with the families often spending six months or more away in another country.

Many bring their horses with them when going abroad and in addition to their permanent bases have vans, caravans and cars. Yet many still appear to be able to claim welfare and are not registered for tax on their 'business' activities due to the nature of their business activities here and in other jurisdictions.

So the fact that 84% are classified as unemployed is a complete misnomer

Many travellers neither want or seek regular employment. They take advantage of their status as a minority group, control their own children's access to education and sign on for welfare entitlements.

The fact that they then turn up as 'unemployed' in statistics is of no relevance to most travellers who do very well outside the normal structures of society or to any notion of employability per see as it is not an issue that is off much concern to travellers themselves.

The statistics simply show those that are on the live register and signing on - it fails to take any other aspects of traveller attitudes to regular employment into consideration imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Its funny because drive in to a housing estate (mainly council houses) and you will normally spot the travelers house very easily. With 2011/12 Toyota Avensis/Pickups/horseboxes, big fancy gates, fountains, fancy stonework etc.. just a lovely house in general. Then beside that house is the middle class working family who struggles to put food on the table some weeks with a banger car and just the bare minimum.

I don't understand it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yakult wrote: »
    Its funny because drive in to a housing estate (mainly council houses) and you will normally spot the travelers house very easily. With 2011/12 Toyota Avensis/Pickups/horseboxes, big fancy gates, fountains, fancy stonework etc.. just a lovely house in general. Then beside that house is the middle class working family who struggles to put food on the table some weeks with a banger car and just the bare minimum.

I don't understand it.

How the private resident is treated:
    http://newsandsport.ie/leads/read/items/anger-as-developer-allowed-to-build-on-unfinished-estate
    Note that these residents would have paid huge amounts of stamp duty and - to my knowledge - there were taxes paid by the builder to the council for each and every new house built, which would of course have been lumped on the purchase price.

How the traveller is treated - article from 2010, estate is long finished to a perfect standard - landscaped, red brick walls all built etc., completely finished:
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/trim/articles/2010/07/07/3998435

Over €2m spent on this, even includes a resource centre ffs. :mad:

Outrageous imo. If this is what some people feel is a fair and just society, they can shove it up their arse.

People, the thread has a particular topic, it's not just somewhere to give out about Travelers.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
Advertisement