Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed foundation.. Any advice?

• 18-10-2012 5:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I'm trying to build a shed against the back wall of my garden but there's a slope and about half ton of muck/compost/dog muck there leaning up against the wall. I can't transport this through the house sadly.

Can I build onto it and use breeze blocks for the other end to make up the height and hope for the best? Or can I try level it somewhat and disperse the muck over the 10x10 space? Or is there a clever way of getting rid of the muck I'm not thinking of? I could chuck it into the abandoned houses garden next door but I think that'd be a crappy thing to do.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

david75 wrote: »
    Hey
    I'm trying to build a shed against the back wall of my garden but there's a slope and about half ton of muck/compost/dog muck there leaning up against the wall. I can't transport this through the house sadly.

Can I build onto it and use breeze blocks for the other end to make up the height and hope for the best? Or can I try level it somewhat and disperse the muck over the 10x10 space? Or is there a clever way of getting rid of the muck I'm not thinking of? I could chuck it into the abandoned houses garden next door but I think that'd be a crappy thing to do.

Any advice appreciated.

I am afraid you will have to move it, there is no way you can build on it.
    You need to get down to solid ground for foundations if you want it to stay up when you build.
    the only solutions I can think of are either bag it up and carry it through the house, or if it is suitable put in a few raised beds using it to fill them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I've been building window boxes and raised beds funny you mention it. Not enough to get rod of this much though.
    Thanks for the advice. I won't build onto it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Check out a GRAB TRUCK HIRE. If it can park behind or beside your house it can reach over the wall and remove everything.

Else: Slab of beer and a few mates with wheelbarrows, through the house.

deandean wrote: »
    Check out a GRAB TRUCK HIRE. If it can park behind or beside your house it can reach over the wall and remove everything.

Else: Slab of beer and a few mates with wheelbarrows, through the house.

Thanks Dean. Sadly it's a really high wall and private property behind it and were surrounded by other back gardens so any kind of access other than through the house isn't possible. And the two wheelbarrows I tried don't fit through the five doors we have from back to front of the house.

Landscaper mates are saying build a trapezoid somethin somethin.

Another mate said do a great escape 'little and often' approach and bag it and dump it in the Liffey every night. I won't be doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

remove all the dog****e dig a big hole use soil to back fill around shed and bury all the
    dog site in hole and rake over then reseed problem solved if you have lawn that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Remove and stockpile earth in back garden, and then use its as the internal plaster!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Build your shed floor higher and use 'block and beam', then just put the material under it. Or spead it even over your empty neighbours garden and seed it.

figured out that slope. Just spent two hours dispersing it over the 12ft square. I can dig my base blocks into it. Happy days:) had two tree stumps to deal with. They took an hour to get up and out but they're gone.

Just need to figure out if 9 breeze blocks be ok to carry the weight of the shed or if I should put some gravel under them too. I'm building the shed out of pallets. We'll see how it goes:)

Thanks for the tips lads.

Advertisement