Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver CS6 design query

Options
  • 18-10-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me out:

I'm creating a website with a standard page template used throughout (width 1000 px, height auto), this will obviously leave white space either side depending on what kind of monitor/resolution etc it is being viewed on/at.

So, I'm trying to figure out a way to fill this white space with either a repeated image or just a coloured background. It does not matter how much of this is viewable or cut off, I just want to kill the whitespace. Any ideas how I can do this? Some of the pages will be scrollable so I need it to be consistent in that department also.

Go easy on me, I am noob ;) At this point I have my page design finished, I just need to go back and add in this extra feature but have no idea where to start...

I appreciate any help folks, cheers

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me out:

I'm creating a website with a standard page template used throughout (width 1000 px, height auto), this will obviously leave white space either side depending on what kind of monitor/resolution etc it is being viewed on/at.

So, I'm trying to figure out a way to fill this white space with either a repeated image or just a coloured background. It does not matter how much of this is viewable or cut off, I just want to kill the whitespace. Any ideas how I can do this? Some of the pages will be scrollable so I need it to be consistent in that department also.

Go easy on me, I am noob ;) At this point I have my page design finished, I just need to go back and add in this extra feature but have no idea where to start...

I appreciate any help folks, cheers

J

Are you familiar with CSS? Divs etc?

Put your content in a container:

So you've got something like (in your css):

#page{

width: 1000 px;
    height: auto;
    } // Height auto really isn't necessary btw.

And then in the markup:

<div id="page">

ALL OF MY CONTENT

</div>

And then everything outside of #page, give it a background color

PS: Just so you're aware: Setting width at 1000px will not "obviously leave a white space either side depending on what kind of monitor/resolution etc it is being viewed on/at." - It will only do it at monitors with a width > 1000px

This may be of interest.

Advertisement