Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

apple TV

• 18-10-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

My wife has ordered an apple tv. I am useless with technology and have a few questions about it if anyone can help.
    My understanding of the Apple tv is that you can buy films from iTunes with it, watch netflix and Youtube etc, look at photos and listen to music.
    Is there anything else it can do?
    What extra things can you do by jailbreaking it?
    Can you watch movies from websites such as delishows.com on it or RTE's iplayer?
    Is it legal to jailbreak it?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

monkey8 wrote: »
    My wife has ordered an apple tv. I am useless with technology and have a few questions about it if anyone can help.
    My understanding of the Apple tv is that you can buy films from iTunes with it, watch netflix and Youtube etc, look at photos and listen to music.
    Is there anything else it can do?
    What extra things can you do by jailbreaking it?
    Can you watch movies from websites such as delishows.com on it or RTE's iplayer?
    Is it legal to jailbreak it?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey, I dont think its illegal to jailbreak the device but it may void your warranty. You cannot access the rte player or stream content from a browser.

Netflix / Youtube are pre installed apps and that is how you access their content.

You can rent movies, slightly cheaper than the video store.
    If you have a lot of media on a computer you can add the music / movies to itunes and stream that media via the apple TV.
    This is pretty cool as most people have a decent sound system in their living room hooked up to the TV, now you can play your music through that system.

It also works really well with other apple products, you dont need to ipads / iphones but if you have them they all connect without much effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

It's not illegal to jailbreak but as the previous poster mentioned it will break your warranty.

In addition to purchasing / renting movies etc, it can also be used to view videos saved on other computers within iTunes (home movies or other videos MP4 / M4V formats)

I'd also recommend downloading an app for your computer called AirVideo http://www.inmethod.com/ as that will stream any video format to your AppleTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

if you ordered the latest ATV3 then it cannot be jailbroken

hopefully that changes though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Paulmin

Do you have an iPad? If you do it opens up all sorts of extra things you can do with Apple TV. I just bought an Apple TV yesterday. I have discovered that as well as able to do the things which the Apple TV can do, if you enable the Airplay feature on the Apple TV and iPad, you can, if you have the BBC iPlayer App or RTE Player app on the iPad or iPhone, can watch either of them on your Apple TV on your television controlling them from your iPad/iPhone. I was impressed and the picture quality is good too. And if you enable the mirroring feature on the iPad you can view anything on the ipad via Apple TV on your TV i.e. photos, games, movies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

You can't buy anything on it - you can only rent movies and stream them. It doesn't have the function to store anything like that.

I have one and it's great, it's more beneficial though if you have an iphone, ipad or mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

You can't buy anything on it - you can only rent movies and stream them. It doesn't have the function to store anything like that.

This is true but, for the record, you can buy films through the iTunes store on your Mac/PC and stream them to your ATV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caseygkcg

I have the ATV 3 which I purchased before realising it could not be jail broken. Initially I was underwhelmed by the number of apps but with a smart DNS service like Unotelly/UNOdns and changing the <location> setting you can view Hulu and other apps, not just Netflix. If you have an iPad or iPhone be sure to get the remote app as the ATV remote is a triumph of style but very annoying when trying to type in usernames and passwords etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

caseygkcg wrote: »
    I have the ATV 3 which I purchased before realising it could not be jail broken. Initially I was underwhelmed by the number of apps but with a smart DNS service like Unotelly/UNOdns and changing the <location> setting you can view Hulu and other apps, not just Netflix. If you have an iPad or iPhone be sure to get the remote app as the ATV remote is a triumph of style but very annoying when trying to type in usernames and passwords etc.

But it's Hulu plus right which means you have to pay for it another €10 and hulu plus content is not the best. Plus you need an american credit card to get it.

I wrote an addon for xbmc which gives you access through real debrid. Check out XBMChub.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

kjl wrote: »
    But it's Hulu plus right which means you have to pay for it another €10 and hulu plus content is not the best. Plus you need an american credit card to get it.

I wrote an addon for xbmc which gives you access through real debrid. Check out XBMChub.com

My Apple TV3 is setup with DNS settings to make it look like I am in the USA. I setup an American iTunes Account, no need for visa if you know anyone in America get them to buy you an american iTunes card or buy one yourself online. The american iTunes card is enough to activate american account with all the usual details.

HuluPlus you get a month free trial so if you like it or not you can continue to subscribe. Its $7.99 a month & it takes it directly from your itunes account.

I also have FOX Soccer 2 go on trial on me iPad for a month, which, with airplay can stream onto me TV. I watched Liverpool v Reading yesterday at 3pm which wasnt on TV here.

If unsure of anything I just used google for advice & it was very easy to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Type 17 wrote: »
    This is true but, for the record, you can buy films through the iTunes store on your Mac/PC and stream them to your ATV.

You don't have necessarily have to stream them. When you buy them. Just check your purchased tab and they should be there.

I have bought blu rays and the digital copy's I downloaded are now in the cloud. So available on my Atv 3, iPad and iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

ATV3 JB close:

appletv3jailbreak.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

interesting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

BArra wrote: »
    interesting..

Indeed. Placed an order for one today as prices are likely to increase based on this news. Fingers crossed it's not a ruse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

i dont see this being true tbh.don,t sell your atv2 yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Ever heard of "Chip Jailbreak Team"? Nope, me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Is it easy enough to change the dns on the Apple TV? Thinking about getting one before Xmas, I use Netflix and rent movies on my iPad. It's not a problem setting up an American iTunes account, I have a website I can get $ iTunes cards from.

Is it also easy to switch between iTunes accounts, as I'll be streaming music etc from my MacBook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭swoofer

I have ATV2 less than 12 months old but would like 1080p so on checking I found out about jailbreaking, however not a great techie so a bit wary. A simple Q what would I gain with a jailbroken ATV2 in Ireland? I am mostly a sports and film fan plus the odd tv series.

and where is there a step by step to jailbreaking? The os on ATV2 is currently 5.0.2

gbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    Is it easy enough to change the dns on the Apple TV?

Yes just head into settings and it can be changed in there

Thinking about getting one before Xmas, I use Netflix and rent movies on my iPad. It's not a problem setting up an American iTunes account, I have a website I can get $ iTunes cards from.

Also to change your country it's very simple also log into your USA iTunes and debt all the us movies/tv shows you like with your $ iTunes card

Is it also easy to switch between iTunes accounts, as I'll be streaming music etc from my MacBook

Very easy. open iTunes on your Mac then bottom right corner click AirPlay then select atv then your music movies photo etc will be on your tv screen

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I have ATV2 less than 12 months old but would like 1080p so on checking I found out about jailbreaking, however not a great techie so a bit wary. A simple Q what would I gain with a jailbroken ATV2 in Ireland? I am mostly a sports and film fan plus the odd tv series.

and where is there a step by step to jailbreaking? The os on ATV2 is currently 5.0.2

gbc

I dont think there is a jb for 5.0.2 think the last one was 5.0 look on YouTube for XBMC apple tv ,and see if its for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    Is it easy enough to change the dns on the Apple TV? Thinking about getting one before Xmas, I use Netflix and rent movies on my iPad. It's not a problem setting up an American iTunes account, I have a website I can get $ iTunes cards from.

Yes it is. Enter your settings manually and save and thats it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

What's the selection like for Irish viewers in Apple store for movie rentals? Think about getting this for a present for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Not too bad - the movies arrive around the same time as they do in Xtravision, etc.

Irl used to be behind the US on most rentals, but now I see that it's ahead with recent stuff like Men in Black 3 and Ted (Ted is in the Irish store for rent, but will not be available to rent in the US until the 11th Dec).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭swoofer

found out a bit more, there is a JB for 5.0.2 now, waiting for a micro cable but still dubious if it is worth the hassle? wont a lot of the content be blocked?

tony, click here and you can see the movies to buy or rent, make sure they have a reasonably fast bb connection.
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/movies/

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    tony, click here and you can see the movies to buy or rent, make sure they have a reasonably fast bb connection.
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/movies/

They have a 8mb connection, so I reckon that should be fast enough.

I clicked that link and it have me the Top 100. Is there more movies than this to rent?

I can't access the movie rental itself. Thanks again.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Not too bad - the movies arrive around the same time as they do in Xtravision, etc.

Irl used to be behind the US on most rentals, but now I see that it's ahead with recent stuff like Men in Black 3 and Ted (Ted is in the Irish store for rent, but will not be available to rent in the US until the 11th Dec).

Nearly missed your post.

It's sounds fairly good to me. Ted and MIB 3 are fairly recent alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

just to throw in this bit of info, I bought the ATV3 thinking I could jailbreak too. I've been living in the States with the last year and found a neat mirroring app (air parrot) online that works like a charm. I used it for streaming sports onto the TV, dead handy.
    The parents use the ATV the whole time now, with Netflix and the rest, and photostream on the tv is a nic feature. The kids love playing angry birds on the screen too, and some of the younger ones think the telly is a big iPad when I'm using youtube on it.

muff03 wrote: »
    just to throw in this bit of info, I bought the ATV3 thinking I could jailbreak too. I've been living in the States with the last year and found a neat mirroring app (air parrot) online that works like a charm. I used it for streaming sports onto the TV, dead handy.
    The parents use the ATV the whole time now, with Netflix and the rest, and photostream on the tv is a nic feature. The kids love playing angry birds on the screen too, and some of the younger ones think the telly is a big iPad when I'm using youtube on it.

Do you have airparrot on the iPad/iPhone and then mirror to atv? or is it on the atv then connected to the iPad/iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

no, airparrot is for the laptop (windows and Mac), if you want to mirror from iPhone it has to be a 4S or higher, and an iPad from iPad 2 and up, and it's built into the OS from iOS 5. Double click the home button, slide from left to right and you should see the mirroring button (obv the ATV is on!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

It's not illegal to jailbreak but as the previous poster mentioned it will break your warranty.

In addition to purchasing / renting movies etc, it can also be used to view videos saved on other computers within iTunes (home movies or other videos MP4 / M4V formats)

I'd also recommend downloading an app for your computer called AirVideo http://www.inmethod.com/ as that will stream any video format to your AppleTV.

I jail breaked mine and got a USB port installed. Now I use it for web browsing instead of my pc

Advertisement