Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Due ???

Options
  • 18-10-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Im a trades man who is about to start my own business , its a small electrical business so i dont want to register for Vat

My questions is when I do a job and I supply the lights , I write the invoice up and put Say ... Supply of light fitting €100 + Labour €70 = €170

My question is will I have to pay tax on the full €170 ?

I only supplied the light , the labour is what I think I need to pay tax on but Im sure how to approach this . I dont want to engage an accountant at the moment so if someone could give me some guidaance Id really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Im a trades man who is about to start my own business , its a small electrical business so i dont want to register for Vat

My questions is when I do a job and I supply the lights , I write the invoice up and put Say ... Supply of light fitting €100 + Labour €70 = €170

My question is will I have to pay tax on the full €170 ?

I only supplied the light , the labour is what I think I need to pay tax on but Im sure how to approach this . I dont want to engage an accountant at the moment so if someone could give me some guidaance Id really appreciate it

You only pay tax on your profit, and normally PROFIT = SALES - COST OF SALES.

So, in your example, assuming the light fitting cost you €100 to supply, then your SALES is €170 and your COST OF SALES is €100, so you only pay tax on the €70. In your accounts, you would have a sales invoice for €170 that you issued to the customer, and you would need to have a purchase invoice to show the taxman that you spent €100 on the materials to do that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Are you sure you don't pay 13.5% of the €170 and you can claim the 23% from the purchase of the lightbulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Compton wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't pay 13.5% of the €170 and you can claim the 23% from the purchase of the lightbulb?

Those are VAT amounts - and the OP says he insn't registered for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

why would someone not register for VAT. Surely those registered for VAT can be more competitive?no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

retenzo12 wrote: »
    why would someone not register for VAT. Surely those registered for VAT can be more competitive?no?

Depends on your business and your turnover. If you are registered for VAT you have to factor that into your price and charge a client the extra 23%, if I am not registered for VAT I dont so my price is more competitive to the client. But then I cant claim VAT back on purchases etc so there are advantages and disadvantages of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Axwell wrote: »
    Depends on your business and your turnover. If you are registered for VAT you have to factor that into your price and charge a client the extra 23%, if I am not registered for VAT I dont so my price is more competitive to the client. But then I cant claim VAT back on purchases etc so there are advantages and disadvantages of both.

Pretty much that.

Again you just have to watch the turnover limits

Advertisement