Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

• 18-10-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

I was wondering if Northαwest does this mean that the angle is in the 2nd quadrant and that the angle α is towards the positive y (or j) - axis. If this is correct does this mean that the if I want to find the angle towards the horizontal I could use tan(90- α)= (tan90-tanα)/(1+tan90tanα) = -tanα as tan90 is undefined.

The reason I ask this is because its the way I seem to be able to get the answer in question 2(b) 2008 http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2008/LC020ALP000EV.pdf

Also in the question for Vwm=(x-a)i-3j so what I did was let -tanα = (x-a)/3=(2). So x-a=6
    Then -tanb=(x)/(3+a)=3/2, 2x=9+3a,(2x-9)/3 . Subbing these values for a gives x=9. This is the answer but I want to know if this right thanks :)

Advertisement