Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another newbie

Options
  • 18-10-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi folks, I'm new to cycling apart from when I was younger, about 30 years since I've ridden a bike. I'm just interested in getting fitter and as I'm a retained fire fighter I can't travel too far from the station, which is fine as I can do a fairly decent circuit around my village. I'm getting my bike on btw and I've gone for a forme pulse. Is there anything in particular I need to keep an eye on with this bike or even myself for that matter. It's been a long time since my last Raleigh 3 speed bike :) any advice would be greatly welcomed
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This time of year a decent set a lights and the motivation to go out are all you really need:)

Might be worth buying a decent windproof jacket and a few other bits and pieces to help keep you warm.

Good luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derek897

Thanks jawgap. I've included lights jacket lock and as its wet mudguards. I definitely have the motivation if not the skills :) can't wait to get it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd also get a small pump, a few spare tubes, tyre levers and mini tool. Worth taking the tyres on and off once at some point when you've got some time to spare. A dark roadside in the pissings of rain is not the best place to learn this awkward little skill, which is much easier 2nd and subsequent times.

Either that, or get bomb proof tyres (e.g. marathon plus), and keep your fingers crossed you don't get a puncture until next summer. (Quite possible)

Thanks smacl. I wouldn't have thought of that. Good thinking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cistolik

Biking just seems like the only way to get around in this city. I know it'll take me 16mins to get from my door to work with or without traffic and 20mins to get to college versus 60mins on the bus! Not to mention all the money I've saved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

best advice I would give is to cycle when you can rather than trying to plan every outing in advance. The weather is your enemy so if it looks nice out and you have a spare hour or two just go!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Or just wear appropriate clothing, though it kind of depends on how you need to arrive, more than the journey. Cycling in the rain is no major problem, but arriving wet without a change of clothes or somewhere to change can be.

Thanks for that. It would be a bad idea to turn up for a fire in wet clothes. Steam burns aren't nice :)

Advertisement