Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Wars 19: Crazy Train Vs Holy Diver

Options
  • 18-10-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

In song war 18 Behind Blue Eyes won. For this one i've gone with Ozzy Vs Ronnie. Although both men are awesome, I think it would make for an interesting choice. Anyway i've gone with Crazy Train Vs Holy Diver.

Crazy Train was released on Ozzy's debut album Blizzard of Oz in 1980 and is the second song on the track. Likewise Holy Diver was released on Dio's debut album Holy Diver in 1983, and was also the second song on that album. Both songs are quite different musically, Crazy Train is faster and is a little heavier, while Holy Diver is slow and arguably better written. Either way both songs were huge hits for both bands and are among their most popular songs.

My choice goes to Crazy Train. To me it defines what Heavy Metal is. Heavy, fast and just something you can rock out to when you're in a bad mood or need to let off some steam.

Which song do you prefer? 18 votes

Crazy Train
    0% 0 votes
    Holy Diver
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

One of the oddest uses of Crazy Train I remember. Crazy Train wins it for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,004 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Holy Diver all the way. Crazy train is pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I hated Crazy Train merely because of the gammy version recorded for The Osbournes show. I would just press skip when it came on. When I actually listened to it I realised it's pretty class, the chorus anyway, great craic to sing on Guitar Hero.

I voted for Holy Diver because it's just so fukn cool & bad ass it's insane. Just listening now, addictive oul song. Drumming and timing is brilliant. Jump jump! I wanna commit a drive by. :cool: Ah guitar solo, so sweet in my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Crazy Train for me.

I don't like Osbourne's voice and I normally have to make an effort to get past the voice and the buffoon the man became, but the song has one massive saving grace.

Randy Rhoads.

Holy Diver is a song that has lost it's impact over the years, for me anyway, and although it is a better written song musically, it just is not as much fun as listening to Randy wail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Holy Diver is an excellent song, in fact it is a rediculously good song; but I still picked Crazy Train. It's just that riff, it's infectious and awesome and possibly the ultimate Metal riff, one that everyone knows and thinks it sounds deadly, which it is in my opinion. Frankly it made the song and that's why it get my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Two of the best metal songs ever written, it's a tough choice, but I'll just about give it to Holy Diver. But if you ask me again tomorrow I'd probably say Crazy Train.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I'm not even that fond of the rest of the song, but the riff in Crazy Train is undeniably badass. In my view that overshadows the all-round goodness of Holy Diver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Two of the best metal songs ever written, it's a tough choice, but I'll just about give it to Holy Diver. But if you ask me again tomorrow I'd probably say Crazy Train.

+1 ... this is the most difficult Song War so far ... Im gonna go with Holy Diver just because Im in the mood ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I can tell you where I was back in 1980 when I first heard Crazy Train. By the time it was finished playing my jaw was on the floor. In that moment, I was forever hooked on Randy Rhoads. He was the first person in the post Van Halen era to even be mentioned in the same breath as EVH. That's an incredible accomplishment/honour.

You also have to take it in the context of when it was written/released I'll agree that the song has been overused and abused in the past 32 years, but that takes nothing away from the first time that I heard the song.

I love Ronnie James Dio, but I am sorry, these songs don't even compare. I would have given this a second thought if Rainbow in the Dark was the other option.

Long live Randy and long live Ronnie !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Had to go for Crazy Train.
    As people have all ready said, the opening riff is just one of the most iconic in rock/metal.
    And overall as a song I just enjoy the energy of it more than Holy Diver.

I love Holy Diver, but Crazy Train just beats it out of the two in this case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Crazy Train for me. Whilst Osbournes vocals grate on me a lot it's a class track with exceptional guitar work by Randy Rhoads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Oh this was tough for me. A big RR fan, but I love that early DIO too. I could pick either, I think I'd have to give it to Crazy train for the riff. But Holy Diver is a much better song overall. Brilliant solo in Holy Diver.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

It's a dead heat! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gorham

Not that I am knocking Randy Rhoads, but Holy Diver has some truly awesome guitar playing. Vivian Campbell at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Gah, the more I compare them the more I feel like Holy Diver is better!

This is the hardest choice so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Two excellent songs although I don't think Crazy Train is the best song off the Blizzard of Ozz album, I don't Know or Mr. Crowley are better imo.

The guitar playing on both is great although Rhoads has an edgier tone and his solo is better. Ronnie Dio's vocals are clearly better than Ozzy's with their deep, rich, full tone. The bass guitar sound on Crazy Train is fairly awful, its parping away in the background the whole time, the rhythm section on Holy Diver not only sounds tighter but is better produced. Overall I'd give it to Holy Diver as its a song I could listen to again and again and again.

Advertisement