Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSO numbers

• 18-10-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Source
    Muslims
    There were 49,204 Muslims in Ireland in April 2011, a sharp rise on five years previously. Ireland’s Muslim population included 8,322 primary school aged children and 3,582 of secondary school age. Since 1991, the number of Muslims increased from just 0.1 to 1.1 per cent of the total population.

Seems Islam is gaining ground slowly in Ireland compared to the rest of the world, but there is a huge growth in children's numbers. About a third are children.

Compared to UK for the same period - In 1990 there were 1.1million Muslims in Britain, representing two per cent of the population.
    By last year that figure had risen to 2.8million, or four per cent. By 2030 the number will hit 5.5million - eight per cent of an estimated 68million population, Pew researchers said.

From 1990 to 2010 the number of followers of the Islamic faith around the world increased at an average rate of 2.2 per cent annually. Last year there were 1.57billion around the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pamela2

I think there is around 50,00 muslims in ireland, becuse there is some muslims in ireland that do not have any status here. the ones that did not have status here did not fill in the cenus form, i know of one muslim person that was in that situation, and the person i know of told me that there were other muslim people in that same situation, this person told me they were afaid to answer the door when they were given out the cenus forms and collect the census form..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

The full census report is available here. Among the interesting facts that are mentioned:
    • Four male Muslims for every three female Muslims
    • Over half of all Muslims in Ireland live in and around Dublin
    • Significant concentrations in Lucan and Blanchardstown
    • About 20% of Muslims in Ireland describe themselves as of "Irish" or "Other white" ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

I found the number of children of primary school going age to be interesting. The figure given (8,322 children) suggests that with a pupil teacher ratio of 30:1 there should be 277 teachers of the Islamic faith employed at primary level.

In practice of course this does not happen as the denominational nature of the Irish educational system makes it unlikely that teachers of the Islamic faith will be employed in most primary schools.

Should schools of the Islamic faith be established at primary level in every town with the required minimum of 45-60 pupils of primary school age, this being sufficient to sustain a two teacher primary school?

Taking into account the employment possibilities for classroom teachers, English language or resource teachers, classroom assistants, a school secretary, a school caretaker and possibly a school bus driver, I would estimate that every 50 children of primary school age could provide employment for at least 5 adults.

Advertisement