Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange SUSI situation

Options
  • 18-10-2012 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hey all. I got a letter from SUSI today stating confirmation of the recipt of my final course acceptance form and that I was being awarded the full non adjacent maintainance grant of 3024.

Now on that the final course form and the original form I ticked the box for btea and indicated that I had had applied for it.

My understanding is that you could only get the fee grant..not both?

I rang the SUSI helpdesk today twice and got talking to two different people who I asked was the situation correct in that I was recieveing BTEA and the grant..they both said the award was correct and the were aware of the situation:confused:

So whats the story does that 3024 include the 2250 for the college fees which was all I though I was entitled to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi E-K

Well that's a new one :)
    What DSP payment were you on prior to BTEA if you don't mind me asking? If you were on a OPFP or Disability its possible to get both grant and an allowance.

If you were on Jobseekers then you could double check with DSP. To be honest SUSI have made mistakes in grant awards in the past few months so just make 100% sure you are entitled to the grant award first. The last thing you need in a few months is a letter from DSP or SUSI looking for money back.

Let us know how you get on. This is an interesting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi E-K

The last thing you need in a few months is a letter from DSP or SUSI looking for money back.

That's the reason I posted here and rang them twice!
    To be honest both of them seemed puzzled as to why I was even asking the question. I specifically said I was getting BTEA and I didn't think I was entitled to the grand they assured me I was and they were aware of all the facts.

But I'm an honest sort and I'm sure most wouldn't have rang.

I was on job seekers allowance/benefit but had was out of the country the previous year.

I'll try ringing and get talking to a manager , and if they have the same story I'll just put the money into a savings account and leave it there just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No.

If you are getting btea you should not be getting a maintenance grant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

hi

I am also getting both which I know is in correct. Wondering what to do. As stated on this thread by other I would rather have it all sorted now than getting it asked for back down the line and my btea cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

In the end it took two more calls to get it sorted..clear conscience now!

I swear your as well talking to a concrete block than SUSI!

Please don't give me give the money! while there's a couple of thousand others saying the opposite:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mature students who started college in '09 or before were able to get both the grant & BTEA & they're able to continue getting both for the length of their degree's or while they're in college

but at first SUSI only awarded these people the registration fee's - as they seen they'd be on BTEA - which was wrong, then they were complained to/corrected about it & the students were awarded both

So i'd think that the people at SUSI probably thought all mature students were entitled to both, not just ones who started in '09 or before and this is what happen with you

eire-kp wrote: »

Please don't give me give the money! while there's a couple of thousand others saying the opposite:pac:
    Yes they reassessed my one now,just getting fees which is grand.do u know if onehas to go thru this process every yr now or will i get fees paid for duration of course?

so if i manage to get both then mums the word?

so if i manage to get both then mums the word?

We can't advise you anything like that on here because that is technically speaking fraud.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

right ok.was talkin to the other moderator,didnt realise there was another one. actually technically speakin its yet another cock up from our govt....surely the bail out is the ultimate "fraud"...but the govt says its ok so its "grand"!

• Advertisement

right ok.was talkin to the other moderator,didnt realise there was another one. actually technically speakin its yet another cock up from our govt....surely the bail out is the ultimate "fraud"...but the govt says its ok so its "grand"!

I'm not a mod of this forum.

At the end of the day what you decide is your choice.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9 memyselfandyou

eire-kp wrote: »

The same thing is after happening to me. I finally got a letter yesterday, full maintenance and fees...but I'm on BTEA.

Tried ringing, put on hold forever. So I emailed them. Got a reply today saying "Thank you for providing that information. If you have any other queries please email studentpayments@cdvec."

eh..?????

I've emailed them anyway and no reply as of yet.

Can I ask what number you rang to clear all this up? I don't want money that's not mine either! They are refusing enough people. How often is this happening?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Has happened loads of lads on my course. A few have rang every few days trying to sort it out and still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 memyselfandyou

Well Im one of the honest ones . Have heard nothing back still. But i never gave them my bank details so at least they cant give me the money! Just hope my fees are paid!

Advertisement