Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank of England Job Interview...Help/Tips??

• 18-10-2012 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else! Anyway I applied for a job at the Bank of England, had to sit some online tests, was convinced I'd failed them but apparently not! They contacted me for an interview. I couldn't make the first one, so it's been rescheduled for next week. They've sent me an email explaining where I have to go and who will be interviewing, etc etc and also that the interview will consist of competency based questions "technical and soft skills." Now forgive my ignorance, but I'm sort of wondering what these could be.....

The position is as a research assistant for the monetary and financial statistical database, here's a bit of the job spec -

"
    The work is mainly focussed on the production and development of MFSD outputs, using the MFSD data base and Excel spreadsheets. Other tasks can also range from production of statistical releases and other published outputs to responding to ad-hoc data requests from external souces and longer-term project work. These will give the jobholders the opportunity to undertake work of an analytical nature.

The jobholders will work closely with analysts in undertaking these tasks, but will need to be sufficiently flexible to provide cover for other RA’s on the team. The jobs provide exposure to other areas of the Bank, as well as organisations such as the ONS and ECB. The jobholders will liaise regularly with banks in checking of data submissions, providing the opportunity to develop understanding of banks' balance sheets and financial operations.."

It goes on to say the usual stuff about being organised, mentions that it "would suit individuals looking to build the necessary skill set and experience to apply for the internal graduate programme in the future", and that the requirements are "excellent A level grades including Mathematics or Economics, as well as some relevant work experience."

Now, I have a degree in economics and have been working in financial services for the last year or so, but it's so long since I was a student (or feels it) I feel like I've forgotten everything. I am petrified now as to what these questions could be like, and I have no idea where to go about researching/practicing them. Perhaps somebody could help shed some light, point me in the right direction, offer a bit of advice, or at the very least help me know what to expect??! I'd be so grateful guys, I'd really love to get this job and want to be as prepared as possible, and relaxed too as I'm already getting very nervous about it and convincing myself I'll be crap at all the questions they ask and the whole interview will be an embarrassing shambles :eek:

Anyway, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

damselnat wrote: »
    Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else! Anyway I applied for a job at the Bank of England, had to sit some online tests, was convinced I'd failed them but apparently not! They contacted me for an interview. I couldn't make the first one, so it's been rescheduled for next week. They've sent me an email explaining where I have to go and who will be interviewing, etc etc and also that the interview will consist of competency based questions "technical and soft skills." Now forgive my ignorance, but I'm sort of wondering what these could be.....

The position is as a research assistant for the monetary and financial statistical database, here's a bit of the job spec -

"
    The work is mainly focussed on the production and development of MFSD outputs, using the MFSD data base and Excel spreadsheets. Other tasks can also range from production of statistical releases and other published outputs to responding to ad-hoc data requests from external souces and longer-term project work. These will give the jobholders the opportunity to undertake work of an analytical nature.

The jobholders will work closely with analysts in undertaking these tasks, but will need to be sufficiently flexible to provide cover for other RA’s on the team. The jobs provide exposure to other areas of the Bank, as well as organisations such as the ONS and ECB. The jobholders will liaise regularly with banks in checking of data submissions, providing the opportunity to develop understanding of banks' balance sheets and financial operations.."

It goes on to say the usual stuff about being organised, mentions that it "would suit individuals looking to build the necessary skill set and experience to apply for the internal graduate programme in the future", and that the requirements are "excellent A level grades including Mathematics or Economics, as well as some relevant work experience."

Now, I have a degree in economics and have been working in financial services for the last year or so, but it's so long since I was a student (or feels it) I feel like I've forgotten everything. I am petrified now as to what these questions could be like, and I have no idea where to go about researching/practicing them. Perhaps somebody could help shed some light, point me in the right direction, offer a bit of advice, or at the very least help me know what to expect??! I'd be so grateful guys, I'd really love to get this job and want to be as prepared as possible, and relaxed too as I'm already getting very nervous about it and convincing myself I'll be crap at all the questions they ask and the whole interview will be an embarrassing shambles :eek:

Anyway, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I was over there last year for 2 written test things; if there's a written element I could help with what that might look like, but I didn't get past that stage and didn't know anyone who got it, so I can't tell you about anything else I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Unfortunately it doesn't say whether it's written or otherwise :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well, for starters I think having a little bit of knowedlge of the BoE and ECB responses to the crisis over the past couple of years would be useful.

(No essay like research, just some info on the interest rates being reduced, OMOs, ECB's LTROs etc).

I wonder if they'll ask you much about Ireland - it is pretty topical.

Best of luck with it.

noodler wrote: »
    Well, for starters I think having a little bit of knowedlge of the BoE and ECB responses to the crisis over the past couple of years would be useful.

(No essay like research, just some info on the interest rates being reduced, OMOs, ECB's LTROs etc).

I wonder if they'll ask you much about Ireland - it is pretty topical.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers, that's the sort of thing I was preparing, then they said about the technical/ soft skills (I've since found out "soft skills" means "personality question", so little sigh of relief there) and I was a bit flummoxed! Oh well, I have a bit prepared, fingers crossed :o

Soft skills could mean a group work exercise. They'll also be highly interested in your ability to communicate complex topics in simple language. On top of being aware of the recent financial and economic situation, I recommend reading their recent reports and research.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies guys. Turned out to be just a bog standard interview, three people asking the sort of questions you expect to be asked! I honestly have no idea how I got on, so I guess I just have to sit back and wait and see now :/

Well, just in case anybody is interested (and because I need somebody to tell and be happy with!!!) I got a call today offering me the position, so I must have done something right!!! Thanks again guys, big help in calming my nerves if nothing else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

great stuff mate, I'm in the process of applying for jobs as well but results not that great.

Great stuff mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alex440000

hey guys. I know this is a little late and maybe not the right place to ask, but I have been asked to complete a 90 min analytical writing test focusing on my technical economical knowledge for a economics research assistant internship with the Bank of England. I am keen to do my best here so if anyone has any sort of advice on what to expect this would be really appreciated!

Advertisement