Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2013

Options
  • 18-10-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi looking for marathon training partner to do barceloina marathon mar 17 2013. I'll be looking to do the marathon in 3hrs. I live in Dublin/Galway anyone interested let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

anyone else doing this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Im doing it. Ran it last March, great marathon. Booked my flights today. Added bonus next year of a Barcelona game in the Nou Camp on Paddys night.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Anyone found a decent price for flights and/or accomodation, I know its st. patricks weekend but flights alone are costing as much as flights+hotel+race entry for warsaw marathon!

estariol wrote: »
    Anyone found a decent price for flights and/or accomodation, I know its st. patricks weekend but flights alone are costing as much as flights+hotel+race entry for warsaw marathon!

Best I could find was 175 with Aer Lingus, out on the 6.50 am flight on the Sat and home on Monday evening. If memory serves me correct flights with Ryanair were booked except for the Sat evening flight but then you would miss The Expo. I didnt check out flights on Friday mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

estariol wrote: »

I'm on the first flight out Friday morning and the last flight back Monday night with aer lingus. €280 incl taxes for both myself and herself, booked it when they announced their sale last week. Haven't looked at accommodation yet but will probably go with an apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just saw this thread now... Doing this aswell ( 3rd time in 4 years )... Great city and marathon... Flying out Sat morning with Air Lingus and home Mon afternoon with Ryanair..Am staying here : http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/nuevotriunfo.html?aid=311076;label=hotel-90374-es-D45ozhYDyjreKMyvWnWhcgS11096341740:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg;ws=&gclid=CJ-SzeL64rMCFcIf4QodSxMAwgIts a no frills hotel about 15 mins walk from start/finish line.. Very reasonable and ideal if travelling alone but mybe not so if bringing OH with u...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

flights for 200E, flying out saturday morning and back sunday evening...will sort out some cheap room later! Feel a bit better about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I am on the Saturday Morning flight with Aer Lingus amd back on the Wed for €145 - I have a place 2hrs from Barca in France so I am going there on Monday, I did it in 2011 and I am hoping to improve on my 3:58 in Dublin this year. I am Winter training in a Health club - got 3 months for €120 - Unfortunately there are no 3:45 pacers in Barca - I was hoping to tag along with them as 3:30 would be too much for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Hi lads, latecomer to this party but just registered for Barcelona this morning. Completely insane and impulsive decision but I've been itching for a new goal since Dublin in October and this one is ideal. I'm heading away travelling around the end of March so this suits me perfectly until then. 10 weeks out, not ideal but confident I can get some good training done, I've been running away since the marathon in October, joined a club and have been consistently putting 30-40 miles in per week so hopefully I'll adapt quite quickly to this plan.

Turns out I will have a buddy to do it with too, texted my cousin earlier on the off-chance who surprisingly agreed to the madness which is great. We trained on our long runs for Dublin together and we both went sub 3 so that'll be the plan again. Looking forward to it now and we'll all have to meet up over there if there's a group going it being Paddy's weekend and all, talk about a well deserved pint :D

• Advertisement

Jimh wrote: »
    Only booked our hotel the other day and just looking at the map of the George Payne it seems we're only staying 500 or 600m from there.
    So I guess we'll be making an appearance at some stage anyway :D

Got my Shorts today for the St Patricks Day Barcelona Marathon
    http://www.soark.com/images_new/flagIre.jpg
    Bit expensive at €35 (including postage)- had a bit of trouble when I orderered as they charged $35 postage by default but when I contacted them they posted them for $6:)

Jimh wrote: »
    Got my Shorts today for the St Patricks Day Barcelona Marathon
    http://www.soark.com/images_new/flagIre.jpg
    Bit expensive at €35 (including postage)- had a bit of trouble when I orderered as they charged $35 postage by default but when I contacted them they posted them for $6:)

Love it Jim! but might be slight overkill wearing them with this...or are they a perfect match :D

http://www.irishfit.eu/shop/mens-running-apparel/mens-t-shirts-singlets/mens-irish-flag-singlet

Ordered couple of those yesterday, one for myself and one for my training buddy. 20 quid each (5e postage) and Barcelona Marathon on Paddys day - simply have to fly the colours!!

Very Quiet on here - Is it the cold weather? I did another 17 miler this weekend on the treadmill 8.9Km at 5Min/Km pace and the rest at 10.7Km/hr so a total time of 2hr 28 Min

Followed that up today with 5 x 2 Km

2 @ 11.5 Km/hr

2@ 12 Km/hr

2@ 12, 5Km/hr

2@ 13 Km/hr

2@ 13,5 Km/hr

Peak mileage has been 35 Mile - I was over 50 mpw regularly for the Dublin Marathon but I seem to be running a little better than last year so I hope to knock 10+ minutes off my 3:58 time

Still on the treadmill (1 week Gym membership left) then it is back on the road.

Today I did 18.5 miles in 2:42:30 - so I am happy with that

Bohermeen half on 3rd of March - I more long run to do yet (22 Miles) and then I wind down

So just under 4 weeks to this. Not long now.
    The George Payne for post race drinks as mentioned , was there afterwards last year with a few guys from my club and met a few Irish folk there. Should be a good spot with it being Paddys Day this year.

I have just signed up for the Bohermeen 1/2 - Good value at €26 - I only managed twenty mile on Saturday and speed was dropping the further I went - Winding down a bit now - Think I will try doing the 1/2 at race pace for the marathon

I did a sub 49 minute 10Km two days after the 20 miler - That's my fastest 10 km on the track and it was fairly cold with a stiff breeze - I am doing between 17-21 Km on Saturday - Probably at Race Pace - I am doing the Meath Spring Half Marathon 8 days later on the 3rd and I am tempted to try and stay with the 1:45 pacers for as long as I can but am a little worried it may take too much out of me with only two weeks to go from there to Barcelona

I did a training 1/2 Marathon today, very cold but no wind - a tiny little bit of snow 1.5C but I had a lot of gear on leggings/hat/gloves/jacket so I was happy with 1:51:17 - Will try to get closer to 1:45 next week in race conditions. McMillan has me at 3:53 for Marathon but I think my 1/2 time will drop next week - I would like to get below 3:50 with below 3 :45 as my dream time - Pity there are no 3:45 pacers

I have to say a big thanks to the 1:45 pacers at the Meath Spring Marathon - I stayed with them till the last big hill (little hill) then fell about 50 metres behind them but they came back for me and dragged me over the line as last of their Group in 1:44:58. I just need a bit of a recovery now ( Double big thanks to the pacers)

• Advertisement

Weather looks perfect for Sunday, no excuses so !! :D

D688CCE8-29EC-44B3-AC20-F8BBA3D05540-3630-0000034D6E55E430_zpse1a724c6.jpg

Lovely, would gladly take those conditions. how's everybody fixed? Taper paranoia kicking in yet? :)

Will only do two runs this week 9Km at race pace Wed 5Km Slow Thursday and nothing till Sunday
    Weather Forecast is different on every site you go on - I will wait till 3 Day forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

On my taper now, last run was 20 miles two weeks ago, can't believe how nervous I am, also really looking forward to it. Conditions look good, that's what I got aswell

Nothing to be nervous about, you've got the training done keep reminding yourself that and visualise yourself running over the line with the clock exactly where you want it to be :)

When does everybody fly? I'm heading out with Ryanair at 6pm on Friday, got a whole day Saturday then to relax, visit the expo and maybe do some mild sightseeing, hoping for a scorcher Monday so I can get some well earned beach time in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

jebuz wrote: »
    Nothing to be nervous about, you've got the training done keep reminding yourself that and visualise yourself running over the line with the clock exactly where you want it to be :)

When does everybody fly? I'm heading out with Ryanair at 6pm on Friday, got a whole day Saturday then to relax, visit the expo and maybe do some mild sightseeing, hoping for a scorcher Monday so I can get some well earned beach time in!

Heading out Friday evening till Monday morning, looking forward to it now. Weather looks good alright, It'll probably feel tropical after running around here in snow and ice....... went for an easy 7 miler last night and it must have been -10 with the windchill! Don't remember ever feeling so cold on a run.
    Enjoy the last few easy run's folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Yeah I'm heading out Friday evening aswell, back Monday avo

I am heading out Saturday morning back on Wednesday ( Couple of days in Perpignan)

Heading over ourselves early Friday morning and back late Monday night.
    Has the makings of a great weekend! Hoping to do the breakfast run Saturday morning with the finish in the Olympic stadium. Then obviously the marathon Sunday morning, hopefully a few celebratory pints in the George Payne afterwards and then to cap it all off heading to the game in the Camp Nou Sunday night!!
    Hopefully might see some of ye in the pub after!

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    Heading over ourselves early Friday morning and back late Monday night.
    Has the makings of a great weekend! Hoping to do the breakfast run Saturday morning with the finish in the Olympic stadium. Then obviously the marathon Sunday morning, hopefully a few celebratory pints in the George Payne afterwards and then to cap it all off heading to the game in the Camp Nou Sunday night!!
    Hopefully might see some of ye in the pub after!

Im headin to the Nou Camp Sunday night myself. Great weekend in store. Anyone who hasnt run this marathon yet are in for a treat, its a really great marathon. Flying out Saturday morning back Monday evening.

Advertisement