Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick/Mental Illness is the fasionable name for SIN

• 18-10-2012 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

It may be true. I'm not sure. Are you?

When you look at what were called sins in the past.......

We no longer see things as sins but illnesses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Ha!! "Sins"?! Wut?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

That is just downright insulting. Greed, pride, envy are apparently in the same camp as paranoia, Alzheimer's disease, and depression? Not on your life, chum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

PC CDROM wrote: »

Masturbation was a sin! Are all teenagers mentally ill?

On second thoughts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought a lot of mental illnesses were called 'Demonic Possession', not sin. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Perhaps mental illness is a perfectly legitimate concept and the idea of "sin" was actually the questionable one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jaysus holy fúcking christ, what is this sin you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Kurz wrote: »
    Perhaps mental illness is a perfectly legitimate concept and the idea of "sin" was actually the questionable one?

You're clearly an apostle of Satan here to distract me from the true path.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Violation of Natural Law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Quatermain wrote: »
    That is just downright insulting. Greed, pride, envy are apparently in the same camp as paranoia, Alzheimer's disease, and depression? Not on your life, chum.

A lot of people would be willing to accept that excessive greed, pride and envy would be signs of a social or psychological disorder. Rather than being 'sinful' and greedy, I'd suffer from a hoarding disorder that stems both from not having enough growing up as a small child and a genetic predisposition to it (since my Grandmother was also a hoarder).

Some are more apparent than others. Gluttony jumps to mind. It's completely embraced by our culture and we've created lots of diseases we can use to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Are we not enlightened??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You're not exactly PC are you, CDROM?

UCDVet wrote: »
    A lot of people would be willing to accept that excessive greed, pride and envy would be signs of a social or psychological disorder. Rather than being 'sinful' and greedy, I'd suffer from a hoarding disorder that stems both from not having enough growing up as a small child and a genetic predisposition to it (since my Grandmother was also a hoarder).

Some are more apparent than others. Gluttony jumps to mind. It's completely embraced by our culture and we've created lots of diseases we can use to justify it.

You make a fine point, but the fact that the word "sin" is being invoked by the OP suggests a very strongly religious standpoint, which leaves very little room for the subtle nuances of psychological development. I myself am a sufferer of a form of paranoia caused by childhood stresses, but I wouldn't describe myself as being "slothful".

I would argue that "sin" itself is committed as a result of free will, hence my anger (or "wrath", hohoho) that it be associated with something that is clearly not the fault of the sufferer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

....Wracks brain to try and work out what S.I.N is an acronym for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Good evening Glenn Hoddle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

at one point being poor was considered an insanity.

On that very point, Grayson!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

sin is when you enjoy it, but feel you shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Grayson wrote: »
    at one point being poor was considered an insanity.
    well, in fairness....

kiddin.

suspicious of the word 'fashionable' in the thread title , but giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. (ie that this isn't a Jebus Saves pre-empt)

As Walter White postulated, isn't it all just current thinking, the whole right n wrong thingy. ;)

the only rule is preservation of the species, and our current laws facilitate that at the mo. back in the day, it was a sin to well...take your pick, there were so many.... but at the mo there's particular ones which have stood the test of time, like thou shall not troll murder.

(edit: to clarify. sin is that which threatens the human species - primarily though direct action, though sometimes through indirect action. mental illness is just that. sin in the historical context is a cultural phenomenon, which coincides in a number of areas with the Prime Directive (he he), I mean main purpose - the preservation of the human species. in time, ecological mismanagement will be classed as a sin as cultural parameters change to accommodate survival issues.

(example would be hygiene/ food laws of old, there to protect the species, violation of same = sin. but as technology changed eating certain foods carried little risk, so were eventually de-classified or reduced in significance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Surely addictions would be the only examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Was I really that locked.com @ 21.37

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sin is the sky god and chief deity of Haida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No words can describe the stupidity of this thread

apart from those words above.. and them ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

No words can describe the stupidity of this thread

apart from those words above.. and them ones

I think it was a line from American Horror Story Season 2 Episode 1

Which I might add was a great start to season 2....

Advertisement