Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting for Work

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Mods please feel free to move this, I wasn't sure where to post.

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can give me a bit of advice, I've been offered a part time job in my chosen career in Dublin.I'm currently working in Galway part time in this career too and I've lived in Galway for a few years now. (I have a sales assistant job in Galway at the minute that is giving me an extra few quid per week but I'd have to give this up for the job in Dublin).

The job in Dublin is a half post (17.5 hrs per week) and I'd be expected to be based in Dublin for at least two days per week.

My question is, is it worth commuting to Dublin for the two days to do this job? I was thinking of maybe getting the bus in the morning, staying in a b&b that night and getting the bus back to Galway the next day after work.

Financially I won't make any more money once I factor in the commute costs. It is however the first job that's come up in a while in my career, but will I be too exhausted to care or even enjoy the job if I'm commuting.

I just don'r know what to do, any advice is welcome. Sorry for the long post. I could really use some help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI

Hey there OP,

Think folks here would be able to offer more advice/experience on your issue.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think if you don't have young kids or something else keeping you in Galway for the whole week you should take it.

It's always good to get to know people in your line of work, you never know who you're building bridges with. It would look very good on your cv, especially considering the dedication it would take to commute.

Those buses are very comfy so you could snooze on the way up and back. You get used to it and when I was working nights I used to get a lovely 40mins kip on the way home in the morning.

It might be worth your while contacting a smaller B&B and telling them your situation, they might give you a better rate if they know it's a long term thing.

Now in say all of the above, I had to give up my job because it was taking it's toll on my health. I've very little money now, but feel great. Nothing is worth your health. Maybe try it for a while. You've nothing really to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Plenty of retail jobs in Dublin - why not move up full time and do an apartment share?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Plenty of retail jobs in Dublin - why not move up full time and do an apartment share?

This imo.

And if not then with how comfy busses are now you could kip going up and down and be less tired.

Forgot to mention you could probably claim partial dole and maybe other allowances if you only work 17.5 hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here,

Thanks for all your input so far guys.

Re: moving to Dublin, I wanted to keep my job in Galway as this is also in my field. If I move to Dublin to take a retail job I probably won't make ends meet because cost of living is so high up there. I'm only starting out in my career so money initially the money isn't brilliant.

Re: dole, I've looked into this already, because I'm 24 the threshold is slightly lower so I basically earn about 20euro too much per week to qualify for part time dole >:(

I'm still so undecided, I have until Monday to think about it. One minute I think "well what have I got to lose" and the next I think "It'll be so exhausting."

Op here,

Re: moving to Dublin, I wanted to keep my job in Galway as this is also in my field. If I move to Dublin to take a retail job I probably won't make ends meet because cost of living is so high up there. I'm only starting out in my career so money initially the money isn't brilliant.

Re: dole, I've looked into this already, because I'm 24 the threshold is slightly lower so I basically earn about 20euro too much per week to qualify for part time dole >:(

I'm still so undecided, I have until Monday to think about it. One minute I think "well what have I got to lose" and the next I think "It'll be so exhausting."

Oh sorry now I get you. You are in field A and have a P/T job in A and a retail job in Galway. You are going to get another part-time job in A in Dublin.

I think B&B is probably the answer then - shop around maybe one will be willing to do you a deal for repeat business.

Hope you find a full-time job in A soon OP! I'd go for it personally. It'll look fantastic on the CV!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Op here,

I don't think it would be as exhausting as you think: I fairly regularly go up to Dublin on the bus on Saturday, spend the day in the library there working on a personal project (that needs reference material only held there) and come back the same evening. I generally work on the bus at least one way, too. Yes, it's a long day - and after a week of fulltime work. Once a month or so is enough.

But you would only be doing one bus trip per day, and only working part-time otherwise. Should be quite do-able, IMHO.

Provided you can make the part time days fit around each other, then I think you'd be mad to pass up an opportunity for more work in your career-field.

You might consider staying in a hostel rather than a BnB: probably half the price, and you get access to a kitchen so can make an evening meal a lot more cheaply. Of course this depends on how easily you sleep and if you have to take much personal equipment in to work. But once the staff get to know that you're there for work, they're more likely to put you in a room with other working people. Or you might even get lucky and find that a single room is possible - in one Dublin hostel, I got one mid-week in June for E35.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

Try https://www.airbnb.com/

Can work out cheaper than B&B as people like owner occupiers are happy to rent out a private room for a few day/s and you could negotiate a special rate for repeat business

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would discuss it with your current manager to see if an arrangement can be made.

Depending on the industry, working for two competing firms at the same time could be problematic.

Also, consider how seasonal the business is or are there other flucuations in demand, e.g. a big project comes up, where you are needed full time for a few weeks, but then only part time.

Otherwise, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Be aware that the job in Dublin may be a case of 'hiring for the Christmas rush'. If it is a public service type job, you don't need to worry about this issue, but the private sector is now hiring people who will be let go in January, to deal with Christmas work.

Advertisement