Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC hall of fame

• 18-10-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Did not see a thread here about this.
    Who would you like or hate to get in next.

I would say bjpenn after his next fight and new retirement.
    Gsp and the spider will get in when retired.

Next will be bonnar and griffin.

Would not be overly impressed if Lesner got in as he only had a handful of fights and not the best record. He brought in more fans and improved the division by getting mir to bulk up.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

I can't understand Lesnar's inclusion. He's a huge draw and an extraordinary athlete but his MMA record and prowess is far from impressive compared to others. It makes me wonder what the criteria are, is being an iconic figure rather than a world beater in the ring enough to get in? Why isn't Anderson in? Personal choice would be Dan Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The criteria for entering the UFC HOF as set out by themselves, is based on "impact to the sport of MMA".

By the UFC's own criteria Brock Lesnar should be in the Hall of Fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Silva's a dead cert to get in anyway when he retires.
    If Jon Jones' career continues in the way it has been going then I can see him being put in there aswell.

Do they go by legends of the UFC or in mma in general?
    If its the UFC then I can't see anybody else who really really stands out as a definite hall of famer. There's plenty of "maybes" but not many guarantees.

If they go by mma legends then I think Wandy deserves a shout aswell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They should just have a 'Dana White's UFC Hall of Fame' since that is what it will be anyway, there'd be no point in pretending otherwise and it'll just save a lot of arguing about why guys like Frank Shamrock didnt get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dean09 wrote: »
    If its the UFC then I can't see anybody else who really really stands out as a definite hall of famer. There's plenty of "maybes" but not many guarantees.

I think that's a good question. Wandy is clearer an MMA legend. But his UFC record, by bad luck and a late move, is pretty poor.

If it is MMA legends, then whats happens with legends that never fought in the UFC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mellor wrote: »
    I think that's a good question. Wandy is clearer an MMA legend. But his UFC record, by bad luck and a late move, is pretty poor.

If it is MMA legends, then whats happens with legends that never fought in the UFC?

That would make the likes of Fedor and Sakuraba shoe ins, so I doubt we'll ever see it.

That would make the likes of Fedor and Sakuraba shoe ins, so I doubt we'll ever see it.

Well thats kind of what I was getting at.
    MMA legend, who did a bit in the UFC is sort of a weak criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Silva's a dead cert to get in anyway when he retires.
    If Jon Jones' career continues in the way it has been going then I can see him being put in there aswell.

Well Mask, one of the founders of Tapout is in it so you don't have to be in the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    He brought in more fans and improved the division by getting mir to bulk up.

Frank Mir bulking up didn't improve the division or even Frank Mir...

BJ should go in as soon as he retires.

Vitor Belfort
    GSP
    Dan Henderson
    Griffin/Bonnar
    all shoe ins.

Others I would like to see.
    Pulver
    Florian
    Franklin many more I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

James Toney!!!
    Relax its a joke,but in reality at the moment I think only Anderson and BJ should be inducted.In terms of who will be inducted ,probably Lesnar and Jones before Silva and Penn as it seems to be somewhat based more on popularity than dominance and skill in the cage.

• Advertisement

Exactly.
    If its based on mma legends then Wandy definitely deserves to go in. And the same could be said for Hendo too. But if its based solely on UFC success/impact then maybe not so much.

Has it not been confirmed that Tito is next.
    He deserves it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oc_pl

Matt Serra anyone?

Has it not been confirmed that Tito is next.
    He deserves it imo.

Was he not already inducted into it earlier this year?? Around summer time I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Was he not already inducted into it earlier this year?? Around summer time I think.

Yea, he was inducted in the lead up to the Forrest Griffin fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

An outside bet on Dan Severn or Don Frye?

I thought he was announced but not formally inducted.
    But I could of simply missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mon82

Yeah Seen as Ortiz is in it Frank Shamrock should definitely be in it . He should have been the first in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think Wandy will make his way in, might take a little longer but he has 11 ufc fights (results aside), legend of Pride who Zuffa own the rights to, man is an absolute fan favourite and ambassador to the sport. Even if Dana doesn't include him I'd say fan pressure would probably get him included down the line.

Based on an entire career Cro Cop should be a shoe in too, he never set the ufc alight, but as a mixed martial artist there are few as accomplished as him, he has won 3 kickboxing matches this year after leaving ufc ffs.

Others:
    I think Hendo is a cert.

Fighters I would like to see:
    Rua
    Fedor
    Sakuraba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

To all the Lesnar haters...
    Why should he not be in the HOF..even if it is Dana's hall!!!
    Started UFC at 30!!
    8 fight UFC career...
    Fought for or defended the title in half of his bouts...
    Should've beaten Mir first night out and got caught by silly move..
    Beat the legend of Randy Couture - diminished an all as Randys powers were
    Avenged his loss to Frank Mir
    Battled back from diverticulosis...
    Beat Shane Carwin who'd never been beaten or taken outside the first round
    Loss to Vealsquez,who'd never been beaten....the no 2 heavyweight in the world
    Battled back from diverticulosis...again......
    Lost to Overeem...the no 3 heavyweight in the world
    Now if that doesnt deserve HOF what does.....

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    To all the Lesnar haters...
    Why should he not be in the HOF..even if it is Dana's hall!!!
    Started UFC at 30!!
    8 fight UFC career...
    Fought for or defended the title in half of his bouts...
    Should've beaten Mir first night out and got caught by silly move..
    Beat the legend of Randy Couture - diminished an all as Randys powers were
    Avenged his loss to Frank Mir
    Battled back from diverticulosis...
    Beat Shane Carwin who'd never been beaten or taken outside the first round
    Loss to Vealsquez,who'd never been beaten....the no 2 heavyweight in the world
    Battled back from diverticulosis...again......
    Lost to Overeem...the no 3 heavyweight in the world
    Now if that doesnt deserve HOF what does.....

So 3 of your points of evidence for inclusion are based on the fact he lost the fight?

I really don't think Lesnar deserves it.
    Take away his big name and you have an ok fighter with an ok record. Fair enough he was HW champ but the general consensus is he had a relatively easy title run.
    You can argue that he brought WWE fans with him but its not like he did any extra work to bring them over. They just followed his name.

mon82 wrote: »
    Yeah Seen as Ortiz is in it Frank Shamrock should definitely be in it . He should have been the first in it.
    Frank takes a pop at Dana every chance he gets. Dana gives it back too. but if he's never inducted he's only got himself to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

p to the e wrote: »
    An outside bet on Dan Severn or Don Frye?

Dan Severn is already in it and Don Frye and Dana White hate each other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Lesnar getting into the Hall of Fame would be a bigger joke than Sonnen getting a shot at the LHW title.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

Big Nog!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Frank Mir bulking up didn't improve the division or even Frank Mir...

BJ should go in as soon as he retires.

Vitor Belfort
    GSP
    Dan Henderson
    Griffin/Bonnar
    all shoe ins.

Others I would like to see.
    Pulver
    Florian
    Franklin many more I guess...

Should of putting a wink in. Just remember the talk of if FrankMire was the same size he would easily win the rematch.

I say for non fighters.
    Rogan
    Big john
    then Bruce Buffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Should of putting a wink in. Just remember the talk of if FrankMire was the same size he would easily win the rematch.

I say for non fighters.
    Rogan
    Big john
    then Bruce Buffer.

if you include them you have to include Herb Dean, man is a legend, I like him more then most UFC fighters.

tumblr_mb7yq1zCV01rg8g1xo1_400.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

If iconic status is required for entry to the UFC hall of fame then surely Mayhem Miller should be immediately included for breaking new ground in the "being a flakely motherfcuker" department. What a nut that man is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

As was previously said on this thread it's the Dana White Hall of Fame. When Zuffa bought Pride should it not acquire it's history. Therefore Fedor, Wandy, Shogun and Cro Cop should all be dead certs. I can't see it happening but I'd much rather like an MMA Hall of Fame voted on by journalists, fighters, trainers across the world. However can never see one becoming more prestegious than UFC HOF to casual fan.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Dan Severn is already in it and Don Frye and Dana White hate each other.

Well how bout that, he is in there. I seriously did not know that. Inducted in 2005 at the age of 47 and goes on to fight for another 7 years. Pat Miletich could be quite the addition.

There's a few issues with the idea of an "MMA hall of fame". Personally I think it shouldn't include some of the UFC hall of fame guys!

Dan Severn for example - has been involved in a number of fights that were allegedly fixed.
    Ken Shamrock - steroid use through a lot of his MMA career
    Matt Hughes - for some of his actions outside of the ring

After watching "Driven" last night, I would be tempted to include Jens Pulver, to get where he did after such an upbringing and to be such an honest and unpretentious guy really makes him an individual to look up to - and I think that's what the Hall of Fame should be - not just people who were good inside the ring/cage but also outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

RainMaker wrote: »
    There's a few issues with the idea of an "MMA hall of fame". Personally I think it shouldn't include some of the UFC hall of fame guys!

Dan Severn for example - has been involved in a number of fights that were allegedly fixed.
    Ken Shamrock - steroid use through a lot of his MMA career
    Matt Hughes - for some of his actions outside of the ring

After watching "Driven" last night, I would be tempted to include Jens Pulver, to get where he did after such an upbringing and to be such an honest and unpretentious guy really makes him an individual to look up to - and I think that's what the Hall of Fame should be - not just people who were good inside the ring/cage but also outside!

what did matt hughes do?

pauldoo wrote: »
    what did matt hughes do?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66067

Highlights:
    • Matt's father has the balls to scold Mark for riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Without letting him finish, the Hughes brothers, physically attack their father, and beat the **** out of him
    • Matt cheats his way through college getting A's in classes he proudly says he never attended. He and the other wrestlers bully everybody at Lincoln Junior College, and break a bunch of ****
    • mutilating a live baby piglet by cutting off it's testicles, and throwing them at a friend. For good measure he slits it's stomach open as it screams wildly to "freak his friend out."
    • Matt and 2 other drunk college kids get caught in the current. Matt pulls himself out but the 2 other kids drowned. He talks about how God saved him. They feel so sorry for the 2 kids that died, that the same night the go out and get drunk again, and look for girls. They end up at a house party, and are having no luck with the girls, so they started eating food from the cabinets and refrigerator. When confronted by the home's owner, they throw him through a window,
    • at Mark's wedding, the boys snub their dad, not allowing him in the family photos. Later, after getting completely plastered they beat the **** out of their new in-laws at the wedding reception

Other than that there's a few borderline criminal events as well - and this is just the stuff he admits to himself! He's also a born again type Christian which he seems to just use to justify some of his own behaviour - basically he can confess and be forgiven so that means he can do whatever he likes.

It's unfortunate that Jens Pulver gets involved in some bullying with Matt at the Miletich gym, but Jens didn't train there for that long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

He also talks about taking his wife in a hospital after she had a pretty sore surgery. He's a great chap altogether!

• Advertisement

It's unfortunate that Jens Pulver gets involved in some bullying with Matt at the Miletich gym, but Jens didn't train there for that long

Apparently one of the guys they gave a seriously hard time to, literally to the point of tears, was Tim Sylvia.

Advertisement