Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New I Pad v New Laptop

• 18-10-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

The wife and I are undecided which to buy. I'm leaning towards the laptop, as you have Word, Excel, more space for music, pics, movies etc...I assume you can't get Word or excel on the new i pad. Also torn between getting the 16 or 32 gb or wifi or 3g+wifi....please help! Anyone got the new i pad...would you recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

All depends on what you want to use it for....

The iPad is great and I love it,but I only use it for skygo and web browsing so it suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Want it for internet, watching movies etc...just general stuff. Is there a way of connecting it to a tv to stream movies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

slookie wrote: »
    Want it for internet, watching movies etc...just general stuff. Is there a way of connecting it to a tv to stream movies?
    Yes. The apple HDMI adaptor. Doesn't work on some apps such as 4od

So I assume a normal HDMI Cable won't work. Have you the new i pad...would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jforrw

I'll buy laptop! There are so many things laptop can do that an iPad just can't.

• Advertisement

Can you expand further...I'm thinking laptop too but need reasons to explain to herself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You can have word/excel on the ipad..quickoffice I think it's called.

http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_pro_hd_ipad/

Pretty good..I picked it up on some sale and very happy with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

two totally different machines imo.
    I would love an iPad but not at the moment, the bank account says :)

The laptop is for the workload, letters, cad drawing etc etc but i would use the iPad for simple browsing, apps, games, movies etc.

I had my sisters for a week a few weeks ago and my laptop dint get taken out once, i done everything on the iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

In my opinion, as someone that uses his iPad every day for college notes, browsing, gaming and lots of other things, I would still fall flat without a laptop/pc. For the ability to install what you want and then have the likes of MS office and proper browsing is still not rivalled by an iPad in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If it will be used for mainly passive activities like browsing, watching moves etc then iPad is fine but you would have to be strongly leaning towards a laptop for any sort of signifigent typing work etc.

With the launch of Windows 8 there will be alot of interesting looking hybrid tablet/laptops on the way which may offer the best of both worlds. Not sure on pricing but I presume they are likely to work out a fair bit more expensive than either an iPad or a regular laptop would.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/top-windows-8-tablet-laptop-hybrids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jforrw

slookie wrote: »
    Can you expand further...I'm thinking laptop too but need reasons to explain to herself :rolleyes:

Laptop has an almost infinite software library no matter how many apps come out for the iOS App Store, they’re unlikely to match diversity of computer software. A laptop also gives you your choice of operating systems whether it’s Linux, Windows, Mac OS or even Android.

Laptop has keyboard, iPad – whether new or old – doesn’t. You can buy an iPad case with keyboard attachment but rarely will you find one that’s as comfortable to tap away on as even the average laptop keyboard.

There are accessories and peripherals, laptop will always have more. More diversity, more quality, more technology. The same goes for most printers, mice, keyboards, gamepads, webcams, external ... the list goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really though, isn't this like asking should I get a car or a motor bike?

Really down to needs and tastes.

Don't think it's fair to compare laptop and an iPad.

They're completely different.

Advertisement