Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browsing internet on non-smart TV

• 18-10-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,
    just wondering if there is a handy way to browse the internet on a tv that is not a smart tv? can i use a wii, or is there a better way? my wife use the rte player and the likes quiet a lot on the ipad, and i was trying to see if i can set up the large tv in the other sitting room.
    any suggestions are welcome,

thanks
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get a Logitech revue if you can, I use it every day, American Netflix is nearly worth it alone. Makes your TV really smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

Where would I get this?
    Is it an Irish thing or is it an American item, or does this even matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Best way is a PC/Laptop with a wireless keyboard with built in mouse/trackpad. Cant beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Best options for internet browsing are a htpc or an android mini stick. A htpc would obviously be best, but they can be pricey.

An android mini stick, paired with an tesco/argos value wireless keyboard & mouse, is a good budget option. Just make sure you get one of the newer dual core ones or browsing will be a pain.

Check over on the android forum for recommendations. There's no rte player app for android at the moment, but the android browser should handle the site fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

I have used a wii to browse, works OK, but a bit slow & does not have flash, so no You tube (& many other sites) :(

I would also go with the suggestion of an Android mini-pc, but would prefer a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. These can be very cheap.

Best option is to get a laptop with a faded or dead screen, connect using VGA & use a wireless keyboard/mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This doesn't really belong here, so I'm moving it to Broadband (though I'm not really sure it belongs there either).

Just to say, back in 2000 Independent launched a service called Unison which allowed you to surf the net through a set-top-box and wireless keyboard. It didn't catch on. Not sure it would today either, if you do want to surf the net on a TV games consoles seem to be the way to go.

Advertisement