Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Alternatives?

• 18-10-2012 10:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. OK So I am planning on doing Computer Science. My Guidance teacher said that to do pharmacy for example you can first do a 3 year course in science which need less points then do pharmacy. (As I wanted to do pharmacy before but now I find out that I have more interest in Computers). So just wondering is their any alternatives for getting into college/university for Computer Science?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 bain_triail_as

The competition for CS not as stiff as for Pharmacy so why not in 1st Year at Uni go straight onto CS?
    Example of points needed at Trinity in 2012: Pharmacy = 570; CS = 450.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

The competition for CS not as stiff as for Pharmacy so why not in 1st Year at Uni go straight onto CS?
    Example of points needed at Trinity in 2012: Pharmacy = 570; CS = 450.

I know yes . But I was just wondering out of curiosity whether there was other routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Most computer courses gone up like 50 points, so I'm guessing next year they will all go up to 500. I done a computer programming course in the summer, its a good course to get into but too many people think if they can work a computer they can do programming.
    A good route would be a plc if you aren't sure what to do.

user.name wrote: »
    Most computer courses gone up like 50 points, so I'm guessing next year they will all go up to 500. I done a computer programming course in the summer, its a good course to get into but too many people think if they can work a computer they can do programming.
    A good route would be a plc if you aren't sure what to do.

PLC? What exactly is PLC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

fontdor wrote: »
    PLC? What exactly is PLC?
    Post Leaving Cert courses which is a "back door" route to University.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Its a post leaving cert course that you do for a year if you don't get the points for your college course

Thank you guys and also do you have to do any end of the year exams or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If the possible high points for CS in Trinity and UCD are a bit off putting, Computer Applications in DCU is every bit as good or perhaps even better than the CS courses at the "big" colleges. Points last year were 390 final round and shouldnt rise by more than 20 or 25 with the high number of places

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

There's plenty of computing courses, software engineering, general IT, Forensics, Computer Science,Applied computing, Computer engineering along with many many more.
    Don't be put off by level 7 courses either as they are great courses in computing and then can go onto level 8. Do not do a PLC course!.

Advertisement