Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin eyesores that need to be demolished: name them!

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

What eyesores in Dublin need to be imploded? Try and post a photo with them.

I'll start:

Phibsboro Shopping Centre (Photograph)

Crumlin Shopping Centre (Photograph)

Ballymun Shopping Centre (Photograph)

I've also noticed something in poorer areas of the city that needs to be addressed: the pubs often have limited light, and there's something distinctly sinister about it. The Cabra House is the most recent example of this that I've seen. It's like something from the Falls Road in about 1987. Its neighbour Downey's Pub is not much better in terms of bricked up public houses. Likewise The Towers pub (on left of photo) in Ballymun is like all the depressive mental illnesses in one place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hawkin house (dept. of health)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Seanchai wrote: »
    What eyesores in Dublin need to be imploded? Try and post a photo with them.

I'll start:

Phibsboro Shopping Centre (Photograph)

Crumlin Shopping Centre (Photograph)

Ballymun Shopping Centre (Photograph)

I've also noticed something in poorer areas of the city that needs to be addressed: the pubs often have limited light, and there's something distinctly sinister about it. The Cabra House is the most recent example of this that I've seen. It's like something from the Falls Road in about 1987. Its neighbour Downey's Pub is not much better in terms of bricked up public houses. Likewise The Towers pub (on left of photo) in Ballymun is like all the depressive mental illnesses in one place.

Where would you buy a telly or some jewellery in Cabra if the O's was knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

hawkin house (dept. of health)

Liberty hall.

I would also love to see incentives and cheap rents given to empty, derilict buildings in the.city centre, in order that they can be reopened and occupied.

Overall, dublin is an attractive city though. There are not many cities of its size that have so many attractive period houses coupled with a wonderful natural geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Central Bank
    Trinity arts block
    Busaras
    The ugly base of the Irish Life building
    The Ormond Quay hotel (rotting for a few years now in a prominent location. Was broken into to rob the post office next door through the wall)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

NCC_Busaras_web.jpg

Liberty_Hall_Dublin.jpg

hawkins-house.jpg

poolbeg4_lge.jpg

dublin.jpg

DSC01272_large.JPG?picture=26689

dublin_spire.jpg

oconnell-street-pic-from-1997-by-cyril-byrne.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Goodbye Northside SC in Coolock

You won't be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Dundrum shopping centre (not the town centre)
    Tara St Dart Station
    Dept of Health
    ESB HQ
    Northside SC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Wood Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I really like busarus, the spire and the poolbeg chimneys, they have architectural and/or engineering merit. So they stay. Some of the bad ones need to be improved, but I'd rather see the nice ones that are falling apart restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

The Dail together with all the rotting dead wood inside it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I really like Busaras - i used to think it was horrible but now i can see the beauty of it.

Mine would definately be the Dubin Bus place on O'Connell Street, it makes me want to cry every day.

A&F have done a brilliant job doing up the outside of their new shop. the idea of giving cheap rent from some of the empty building is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Apparently liberty hall was transparent until they had to change all the glass after the bombing in 74, it would probably look decent like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Having worked in Phibsboro shopping centre for years, the plan is to level it, and then start again from scratch, with underground car parking and the buildings coming out to the front of the road.....not sure if it was put on the back burner though, its been a while since i worked there.......

it all has to do with a patch of land at the back of Tesco and Dalymount AFAIK, and i think it was stalled to see if Dalymount was going to be sold or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

[Jackass] wrote: »
    DSC01272_large.JPG?picture=26689
    I've been told that this is just a facade on top of the original building - anyone know if that's true?

Also the sooner Liberty Hall goes the better. I don't care if looked better before the bombing - I've only known it as the vile and ugly thing it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I really like busarus, the spire and the poolbeg chimneys, they have architectural and/or engineering merit. So they stay. Some of the bad ones need to be improved, but I'd rather see the nice ones that are falling apart restored.

likewise. i think busaras is a lovely building

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Agree 100% on Phibsboro SC, awful looking building.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

libertyhall11_5.jpg

with original glass.

I dont think it should be leveled as it has some historical engineering merit within the capital. But that may because my Grandfather worked on the building i have some affinity to it.

I think it needs some sympathetic restoration completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Apollo House. Eyesore. Even the font on the front of the building makes it look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

Jedward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcqAzlA0nak2_Gl-knysWLKh8LrbIgWxzlg53m_SPxJrSbE1GY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And whoever signed off the planning permission for this monstrosity should be fúcked out on their ear.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeoIqyTFTO5PKA8c8pcPJOBsF3WFSm2LZq0VO1SG9iaFIXR_bWPw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Busaras has won design awards, I remember seeing that a while back...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lapin wrote: »
    And whoever signed off the planning permission for this monstrosity should be fúcked out on their ear.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeoIqyTFTO5PKA8c8pcPJOBsF3WFSm2LZq0VO1SG9iaFIXR_bWPw

Should be renamed Dyson house

dyson_dc29t2_origin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Seanchai wrote: »

You should have seen it before they put the windows in.... its quiet nice now actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I agree with most listed, with the exception of the Poolbeg Chimneys. I personally think they are a part of the Dublin landscape, and not an eyesore. I know they won't be there forever, but I do hope they are there for many years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Draco wrote: »
    I've been told that this is just a facade on top of the original building - anyone know if that's true?

Doesn't look like it, as the windows (and offices you can see inside them) run the entire width of the building, which would suggest the front wall has been completely demolished with that work of art built to replace it.

Treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

A hundred million times Hawkins house.

And O'Connell Bridge house. And Apollo House. Busarus and Liberty Hall I have actually come to appreciate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

This yoke on Grand Canal Street

It is empty, as far as I can tell, so now is the perfect time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it, as the windows (and offices you can see inside them) run the entire width of the building, which would suggest the front wall has been completely demolished with that work of art built to replace it.

Treason.

I've been in the offices at the back and seem to remember that it does contain a lot of old features, although I wasn't really paying that much attention.

Advertisement