Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin eyesores that need to be demolished: name them!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

River House definitely needs to go!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Where is River House ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 blueflag1

Shankill shopping centre.

5269092676_0a7ed6f16b_z.jpg

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122b1b8e85f6bcb0193f66b369520e3aa48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

A couple that hit me every day

The old Cahil Printers D3
    2227306_66e9360c.jpg

Connolly House North Strand
    north%2Bstrand%2Btech.JPG

Apollo House
    hawkins.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Boland's Mill.

8048708127_a506890503.jpg
    Boland's Mill by GL Photography, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's some smaller ones that are just skanky buildings in locations that they really shouldn't have been built. Baggot Street Bridge has this square concrete box beside it:
    http://goo.gl/maps/KR3s3

This shouldn't be on Stephens Green:
    http://goo.gl/maps/CsHqa

Grafton Street is pretty good, but HMV is in a building totally out of place:
    http://goo.gl/maps/dMmgN

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

AsianDub wrote: »
    Boland's Mill.

I think thats a listed building, historical value etc. (1916 rising)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I think thats a listed building, historical value etc. (1916 rising)

It's a shame it's so neglected. I saw people from the locality cleaning it up voluntarily recently.
    If it has so much historical value, one would think the government would maintain it and actually use it for something.

quaalude wrote: »
    It's a shame it's so neglected. I saw people from the locality cleaning it up voluntarily recently.
    If it has so much historical value, one would think the government would maintain it and actually use it for something.

From wikipedia...

"The older stone block buildings facing onto Ringsend Road and onto Grand Canal Dock together with two terraced houses on Barrow street are listed as protected buildings

The taller concrete silos on the site are not protected structures.

This site should not be confused with the old Bolands Biscuit Mills building on the corner of Grand Canal Street and Macken Street now known as the Treasury Building (approximately 500 metres away) that played an integral part of the 1916 Rising."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Busaras has won design awards, I remember seeing that a while back...

Ah yeh remember that alright, think it was sponsored by the Irish Council for the Blind :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

From wikipedia...

"The older stone block buildings facing onto Ringsend Road and onto Grand Canal Dock together with two terraced houses on Barrow street are listed as protected buildings

This site should not be confused with the old Bolands Biscuit Mills building on the corner of Grand Canal Street and Macken Street now known as the Treasury Building (approximately 500 metres away) that played an integral part of the 1916 Rising."

Very interesting, thanks AsianDub - gonna have to look more into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Boland's Mill.

8048708127_a506890503.jpg
    Boland's Mill by GL Photography, on Flickr

Jaysus I think this looks brilliant, this is as iconic as the Poolbeg towers IMO. Agree it looks like something out of a country that the USSR invaded alright but still looks deadly !.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Jaysus I think this looks brilliant, this is as iconic as the Poolbeg towers IMO. Agree it looks like something out of country that the USSR invaded alright.

I love the Poolbeg towers myself! So much so I walked out there on a cold night last February to photograph them up close.

The silos of Boland's Mill are ghastly IMO. I pass them everyday and shudder.
    They look especially ominous at night!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah yeh remember that alright, think it was sponsored by the Irish Council for the Blind :rolleyes:

Just to butt in here :D Busáras was the first public building constructed in Europe after World War II and as such had a great significance at the time. Architects, engineers and anybody else involved were all very proud to be part of the project and all wanted their names associated with it. Every possible attention to detail was made inside and most of the original features still stand including the newsreel cinema, alter a theatre and now the lost and found area in the basement, mosaics all over the floor, walls and pillars. I did the tour of it for Open House recently and although I used to think it was an awful looking thing, I had started to appreciate it's uniqueness - even more so after going on the tour :)

(All the above facts I learned on the tour so I am open to correction :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Tow

The Harcourt Street/Adelaide Road phone exchange : http://goo.gl/maps/lj8gq

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

So the Boland's Mill pictured on the previous page isn't the 1916 one then?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

From wikipedia...

What page is that on Wikipedia? Surely they're wrong about the Bolands Buscuits Mill playing an integral part of the 1916 rising. It was the Flour Mill.

ACtually, just seen it's on the page for Boland's Mill. I'll have to look into this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Clanket wrote: »
    What page is that on Wikipedia? Surely they're wrong about the Bolands Buscuits Mill playing an integral part of the 1916 rising. It was the Flour Mill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland's_Mill

So is the one on Grand Canal Dock the 1916 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Dalymount Park, Kip

21/25

• Advertisement

Keedowah wrote: »

Yes - nightmarish. One of Dublin's ugliest buildings.

Neeson wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland's_Mill

So is the one on Grand Canal Dock the 1916 one?

As far as I remember anyway. I've been googling and all references are to Boland's Mill (which is the one on Grand Canal Dock). I pass by the Trasury Building on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I must have a look at the plaque that article mentions ("commemorated by a plaque on the wall of the building along Macken Street").

As far as I remember anyway. I've been googling and all references are to Boland's Mill (which is the one on Grand Canal Dock). I pass by the Trasury Building on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I must have a look at the plaque that article mentions ("commemorated by a plaque on the wall of the building along Macken Street").

Wikipedia could be wrong. I'm a bit confused myself now.

Here's the plaque on street view http://goo.gl/maps/J2oA0

Christ that looks too high to even be read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

While I agree on Fitzwilliam House, and Hawkins house, I disagree on

The Spire ( its funny that Jackass' picture showed it looking real good).
    Liberty Hall
    The conference centre.
    Busarus
    and Poolbeg

There are a lot more derelict buildings around. Dublin could do with a clean out of those.

Christ that looks too high to even be read

The NLI website confirms it was the biscuit mill at Grand Canal Street Lower.

http://www.nli.ie/1916/1916_main.html

-> The main sites of activity during the rising -> Boland's Bakery

"Headquarters were located in Boland's Bakery on Grand Canal Street Lower"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

If you can get a copy of Frank McDonnells book "the destruction of Dublin", published by Gill & Macmillan in 1985, it will open your eyes. One of the most compelling books I have read this year, and a strange pre echo (if such a thing exists) of what went on in the boom years. Iver in Cavan

The NLI website confirms it was the biscuit mill at Grand Canal Street Lower.

http://www.nli.ie/1916/1916_main.html

-> The main sites of activity during the rising -> Boland's Bakery

"Headquarters were located in Boland's Bakery on Grand Canal Street Lower"

Yep you're right. I always thought it was the Flour Mill. You learn something new every day.

Here's the detailed doc.

http://www.nli.ie/1916/pdf/7.10.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

miamee wrote: »
    Just to butt in here :D Busáras was the first public building constructed in Europe after World War II and as such had a great significance at the time. Architects, engineers and anybody else involved were all very proud to be part of the project and all wanted their names associated with it. Every possible attention to detail was made inside and most of the original features still stand including the newsreel cinema, alter a theatre and now the lost and found area in the basement, mosaics all over the floor, walls and pillars. I did the tour of it for Open House recently and although I used to think it was an awful looking thing, I had started to appreciate it's uniqueness - even more so after going on the tour :)

(All the above facts I learned on the tour so I am open to correction :))
    Your spot on.I worked there years ago and it is very well finished inside.They should reopen the Theatre/cinema.Dept Social welfare own the building and lease part of it to Bus Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jaysus I think this looks brilliant, this is as iconic as the Poolbeg towers IMO. Agree it looks like something out of a country that the USSR invaded alright but still looks deadly !.

In fairness, that is a nice picture of it, at night with the lights, but it is in terrible condition.

Re the poolbeg towers, I think there's an affinitey in Dublin towards certain structures that people call iconic, but all the same, in my opinion at least, are absolute eye sores. I appreciate the iconic nature of the towers in Dublin, but if you step back and take a purely aesthetic view point, it looks like a run down nuclear power station that absolute destroys an otherwise beautiful beach view, with stunning sun rises on that beach...

6606710455_3885701404.jpg

I don't know, maybe it's just a matter of taste. If you've ever been around the poolbeg area (such as the walk out to the pier and the lighthouse) a massive factory and power station in the middle of a protected park and one of the most scenic walks in the city ruins it imo, it would be such a spectacular area if it was knocked down and big parks were put there in place of it...

Advertisement