Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin eyesores that need to be demolished: name them!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

ive lived in Dublin 14 years now and some of the buildings being posted on here to me, personally, are not eye sores but almost iconic in such a way when I think of Dublin I think of

O'connell bridge house, Liberty house, the spire, bolands etc

I agree that the conference building is an eye sore and the building on Dame street by the castle

A couple of the concrete building on baggot street and around fitzwilliam square (fitzwilliam house) will probably become iconic in years to come being examples of buildings in that specific era etc

my main issue is all the terribe apartments that were thrown up all over Dublin -that is far more an eyesore than any one particular structure mentioned on here -cheap, poorly built, thoughtless planning, small and box like strewn all over the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hill 16 and the North End of the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

nuff said

finglas-shooting-6438-copy-390x285.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

In the boom of the flats around Augier street beside DIT should have been demolished and replaced with modern offices or apartments.

I hate all of those generic Dublin city council flats that are 5 Storey and red brick. They are so out of place every area they are in. They served a purpose once but not in 2012.

Would everyone miss o Connell street if it disappeared tomorrow, not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

BlackBlade wrote: »
    nuff said

I've no idea what that is. Please tell us more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

cappagh in , finglas -rough place and high chances of being shot (pic of the pub and the police car)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Quite like The Spire,Poolbeg House and Liberty Hall.Thought Liberty Hall looked great a few years back when it was lit up at night as part of some sort of exhibition.

Agree with Hawkins House,Apollo House and the old SW office on Chancery Street.

The new convention centre looks ridiculous too IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

cappagh in , finglas -rough place and high chances of being shot (pic of the pub and the police car)

Catherine nevin's hubby used to run that pub (The Barry House), so even when you moved away you still got shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 blueflag1

The Cabra House in all her glory...

cabra-house.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Most of the horrible buildings in Dublin can be attributed to brutalist architecture that for some bizarre reason really caught on in Dublin in the 60/70s, the controversial Sam Stephenson was a prime culprit.

I actually think Liberty Hall could be something to be proud of if it was renovated tastefully. I think the roof in particular makes it look terrible at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Lapin wrote: »
    Where is River House ?

Chancery Street, it's an old SW office. There's a pic a few posts before my first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Am I the only one who likes the convention centre? I think it looks good, especially at night when it is lit up along the queyes. I agree that Liberty hall was cool for a while when it was lit up at night and had constant light shows on the surface of it. Spectacular even! And for a while there were Batman style search lights from the roof of the GPO lit up on weekend nights, that could be seen for miles around the city, almost like a beacon to follow into town on the booze.

I think light can really dress up a city at night. Good example being around Grand Canal which looks great (imo). If they did things like that but had them permanent, it would be great. (Having lived in Toronto, the CN Tower is always lit up and changing colour and stays colours for various events, like Green for paddys day - same with other cities like New York with the Empire State Building and the Chrysler building...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

No, I like the convention centre. I also like that building on Dame street beside the castle, we cant always have pastiche.

I think we could have done more with the docks, more buildings like the conference centre and the Bord Gais Energy theatre. Instead the fairly banal stuff there is not liked, or indeed hated, which is a true sign of mediocrity. The area around GCD is good, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The entire South Quays between Heuston Station and Sunlight chambers.

Nothing built along here in the past half century has done anything to improve this strech of riverside, and of the older buildings, very few have any architectural or historical merit.

And the brewery, for all its famed connection with Dublin, turns its back on the river.

I'm not suggesting the brewery be knocked, but surely a more suitable frontage on the Liffey along Victoria Quay can replace this mundane wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

I like the Convention Centre. It's modern and looks great with the Samuel Beckett Bridge.

Agree about the South Quays. And on the Northside Quays. The Ormond Hotel is a such a waste.

Another eye sore is the unfinished Anglo HQ. Hopefully Central Bank will move in soon and finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

This shouldn't have been built in the first place...........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I really like busarus, the spire and the poolbeg chimneys, they have architectural and/or engineering merit. So they stay. Some of the bad ones need to be improved, but I'd rather see the nice ones that are falling apart restored.

Exactly! I really like the poolbeg towers especially, theyre such an icon now, dublin wouldnt be the same without them. I know theyre not very old, but they seem almost historic to me, like remnants of an industrial revolution...even though we never had one:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lapin wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcqAzlA0nak2_Gl-knysWLKh8LrbIgWxzlg53m_SPxJrSbE1GY

I quite like that building actually.Theres a lot worse out there, thats for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

AsianDub wrote: »
    Boland's Mill.

8048708127_a506890503.jpg
    Boland's Mill by GL Photography, on Flickr

It could be the nicest sunniest day of the year, women strolling along in mini skirts, eating ice cream and laughing gayly. Yet if I walk past this place a shadow is cast over me, the wind picks up, black storm clouds roll in and the street becomes deserted, and when I look up at this thing I see my impending death.

This place is so ridiculously creepy that I can't help but stare up at it as I walk by, I love it. Plus I have a strange fascination with being up on that walkway that looks like a ladder laid out between the two towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

In the boom of the flats around Augier street beside DIT should have been demolished and replaced with modern offices or apartments.

I hate all of those generic Dublin city council flats that are 5 Storey and red brick. They are so out of place every area they are in. They served a purpose once but not in 2012.

Would everyone miss o Connell street if it disappeared tomorrow, not really

All the new apartments and offices around there look shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On the subject of Grand Canal street area, check out the lift shaft stuck onto this building on Grand Canal Quay (across the dock from the big bolands buildings). One of the nicest building in dublin, with a woeful out of character beige brick lift shaft stuck onto the side.
    http://goo.gl/maps/MHdEy
    http://goo.gl/maps/fxRn2

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Plus I have a strange fascination with being up on that walkway that looks like a ladder laid out between the two towers.

Me too! :)

Some great photos from inside and at the top http://www.abandonedireland.com/bm_1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

BeerNut wrote: »
    But mostly Hawkins House. A million times Hawkins House.

I lived over the "Regal Inn" Hawkins street (now called "Chaplins") in the 80's, it was a fecking eyesore then, never mind now.

regarding busaras, I like it, don't know why, maybe happy memories from my childhood........ it's ugly but has something appealing about it, then again it maybe the vodka typing on the keyboard.... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A photo taken from the other side of busaras - around the tram stop - I think reveals the true scale of its square ugliness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

[Jackass] wrote: »
    NCC_Busaras_web.jpg

Probably the best photo available of Busaras

I still like it but the social welfare side on Store St is crying out for a lick of paint.

Come on Joan Burton, hire some painters and create a few jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

AsianDub wrote: »
    Me too! :)

Some great photos from inside and at the top http://www.abandonedireland.com/bm_1.html

Nice photo's, but could they not have taken at least one that wasn't a panaramic shot on their iphone - every room looks bending and twisting, would be nice to see one or two normal shots!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I quite like that building actually.Theres a lot worse out there, thats for sure.

There's definitely worse out there, but I think the reason that this building is so reviled (at least for me) is how out of proportion it is with its surroundings. If you look at pictures of that area before the building was built, the three buildings there are kind of 'working together' in a fairly impressive manner. The size of the new building ruined all that, and makes that view look kind of off kilter. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Lots of buildings in that area (Hawkins House, Apollo House, that particular building) have made the whole block a bit of a disaster, architecturally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Rochester wrote: »
    This shouldn't have been built in the first place...........

Thats quite nice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

rathfarnhamsc.png&w=460&h=200&zc=1&q=100
    Rathfarnham Shopping Centre is also pretty bad. Bad enough for Intermission to be shot in ;)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just knock down all the S.Cs..

Stillorgan...

Adetoun_76_stillorgan.jpg

Advertisement