Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin eyesores that need to be demolished: name them!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

UCD, Bank of Ireland on Baggott Street. Basically any building that was built in the 70's or early 80's (whenever that style of architecture was in vogue)
    I love that [BofI] building.

I actually love UCD, except for the Science Block, which is (was?) horrendous (I just googled and it seems Bruce Shaw is doing new designs for it here). I'm not mad about the concrete in UCD, but I love the design, the way space is utilised. I love the woods, the walkways, the abundance of space that pervades all of UCD. It's liberating to escape to it from books. In TCD, for instance, most places are not fit to be in a university in 2012, no matter how much history is attached to it. Despite the outside, the inside is not practical. In my opinion UCD has really opened up the place (e.g. between the Arts Café and the Quinn School) in the past few years, and I like open spaces. I'm astonished at how much building is going on in UCD during a recession, but not impressed that the hurling pitch in front of the bus terminus is all but gone with this development.

Bank of Ireland in Baggot Street does, I think, have a bit of style. I prefer it to the concrete monstrosity that is AIB HQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I really like busarus, the spire and the poolbeg chimneys, they have architectural and/or engineering merit. So they stay. Some of the bad ones need to be improved, but I'd rather see the nice ones that are falling apart restored.

Whatever about the merits and demerits of the aesthetics of Busáras (I think it's ugly), my fundamental issue with that building is that it is still being used as the principal bus depot for an island of 6 million people. Anybody who has been in Busáras at 17.30 on an evening will attest to how inappropriate that building is for the number of buses coming and going. It may have been "modern" when it was finished by Michael Scott in 1953, but if people want to make it a "protected structure" as it is today, the actual Busáras where the buses are should be moved to a modern, practical building. It is a joke that Bus Éireann wants (or rather in 2006 wanted) to spend €2 million extending it, and all the "conservation" expenses attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Bambi wrote: »
    Should be renamed Dyson house

dyson_dc29t2_origin.jpg

Damn, I knew it reminded me of something :D Good Spot.

Hawkins House gets my vote too btw. Along with most of O'Connell Street, which is an embarrassment for the main street of our capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Having worked in Phibsboro shopping centre for years, the plan is to level it, and then start again from scratch, with underground car parking and the buildings coming out to the front of the road.....not sure if it was put on the back burner though, its been a while since i worked there.......

it all has to do with a patch of land at the back of Tesco and Dalymount AFAIK, and i think it was stalled to see if Dalymount was going to be sold or not.

Phibsborough was one of the earliest shopping centres in Dublin it created a bit of a stir at the time with people traveling across the city to see it and shop there – a bit like Dundrum decades later.

I think that Northside was somewhat earlier and Ballymun came after that. They may all look a bit dowdy now – but don't be unkind – they are part of the evolving architecture of Dublin and of a learning process. They have, however, passed their use by dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

chopser wrote: »
    The Loopline bride is the worst eyesore in Dublin.
    Completely separated Dublin and Dubliners pysche from the sea. (Do people even associate Dublin as a port City ?)
    Blocks the view of one of Dublins finest building (the custom House) and blocks the view of one whole side of the City to the point that the the whole side east of it only got developed in the boom and then very poorly so.

This is standard claim against the bridge. I mighta believed itself for a while. But it's not true - except for the part about ruining the custom house. It doesn't distract from the port or bay - the proof being that as you walk past it you still don't really see yourself as a bay city. And yet Dublin has a beautiful bay. So what's the real reason?

To me it's simple - Dublin is flat. If the city rose a mere few hundred feet inland, even at a small slope, the dart would have a view along its entire journey. And buildings as far inland as heuston could look East and down to the bay, as buildings that far inland do in San Francisco.

No great heights are needed either - if the heuston area were 500 feet above sea level it could look to the Bay. People crowd to Sutton/ Howth every weekend for a reason. There we have the height and there we can see the sea, and the curve of the bay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bigcheeze wrote: »

The docklands area is new development, there was nothing much there to preserve so it's an opportunity to do something different. Did people really want mock-Georgian four-storey buildings there?

I don't recall anyone suggesting that the docklands should have been replaced by 'mock georgians'. I certainly wouldn't want that.

As you rightly say, there was an 'opportunity do do something different' here. Its just a shame nothing different was done. The entire docklands area has been littered with low rise unimaginative pieces of lego that could have been built anywhere. They do absolutely nothing to define the place and not one single building in the area expresses itself as a unique Dublin landmark in the way the Clyde Auditorium (The Armidillo) does for Glasgow, The Sage in Gateshead and Oslo Opera House do for their cities to give just a couple of examples, respectively pictured below.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS94wTHlVhfVLJ5M4jvKNjaRWXWgFDAgonZ145yyiFs6JBYBPn9images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDKhuQUZgCu6er73LFX_MMNJLJPjlIoLH6V80oBbNjDxhh2W95Ugimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS130zCe9Ga56vJe0JVu3Z-PlfgJ3SC2REXA0b7nMKgKE7KxXs1

The principal thouroughfare running through docklands, Mayor Street, is a drab soulless place devoid of shopfronts for so much of it that the description 'tram channel' seems more apt than street. The few shops that occupy the place, O'Brien's Sandwich Bar, Insomnia, Remedi Chemist, and the ubiquitous Spar and Centra etc, are no doubt convenient for those who live and work in the area, but there is absolutely nothing there that would attract me out to spend time (or money) there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeccWuktjqXsTGJ8nNdhM-kdj5XmlyhjNLXZqGAa4ZTuNt4m7sxw

There was indeed a great opportunity the create something exciting in Dublin's docklands and showcase archeticture unique to Dublin and Ireland. The DDDA didn't even have to look too far for inspiration.
    Unfortunately, the have failed. And failed miserably.

Ironically, the unfinished Anglo HQ probably sums up all that is wrong with the place.
    It's very fashionable to hate or "be against" anything that was built, developed, thought of or done during the boom years (unless it's a motorway of course!), particularly if it's in Dublin. The pleasure from the amount of thanks some people get on boards.ie is irresistible when they point out what they deem to be outrageous celtic tiger spending!

The Spire is cool, so is the Convention centre, both great additions to the city and the country.

It's just not cool to say so.

:eek:

The reason its fashionable to dismiss much of what was built during the boom years is because most of it is muck. If I don't like something I'll criticise it, not because I'm trying to be cool, but simply because I don't like it. And there was a hell of a lot not to like built during this time.

As for The Spire. If RTÉ applied for permission to erect a TV transmitter in the middle of O'Connell Street, people would rightly object.
    But call an identical structure a piece of sculpture and suddenly those same people are convinced it must be art and the emperor's clothes don't look too bad after all.

There is nothing cool about 'The National Convention Centre'. Even the name is boring. For 'cool', see the images above of Glasgow, Gateshead and Oslo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Karen23 wrote: »
    Both of these were due to be demolished as part of Ballymun Regeneration but money ran out and the plans have been scrapped. I pity anyone in Ballymun who doesn't drive and has no choice but to shop here , its awful. It's owned by Treasury Holdings

This was to be the new shopping centre http://www.treasuryholdings.com/to_let/lettings_ireland/retail_lettings_ireland/greater_dublin_area_retail/spring_cross_retail_let/

Don't feel sorry for them they have Aldi, Omni shopping centre with Tesco's, IKEA and Northwood/Gullivers retail park all within walking distance.

More amenities than most areas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Many of the offices and shopping centres built in the 1960s and 1970s in Dublin were ugly vile monstrosities, but not all of them were.

Exceptions IMO would be the Central Bank, the BOI HQ on Baggot Street, the Irish Life Centre on Lower Abbey St, Fitzwilliam Tennis Club Buildings, Stephen Court (where Anglo used to be) and the Institute for Advanced Studies in Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Why does the government insist on installing something horrendous like this?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+wall&hl=en&ll=53.35278,-6.229827&spn=0.008876,0.022724&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=East+Wall,+Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.352716,-6.233797&panoid=Y9ozS8LVq6coFaxWgt-Cwg&cbp=12,7.96,,0,-12.75

There are plenty of decent looking modern buildings in the docklands but this one looks like an over-sized creche.

The Large windowless slab of concrete to the right of the gate is the worst part. It's not a very inviting looking community centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Lapin wrote: »
    I don't recall anyone suggesting that the docklands should have been replaced by 'mock georgians'. I certainly wouldn't want that.

No it wasn't directly said. My point is that it often seems like there is an automatic objection (in general, not on this thread) to anything different or bold or over five stories, just because these things have been ballsed up in the past.

I agree with most of your post. The Clyde auditorium is stunning and I wish we had something to rival it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

RADIUS wrote: »

The Large windowless slab of concrete to the right of the gate is the worst part. It's not a very inviting looking community centre.

The Swiss Cheese building. The large expanses of concrete rather than glass may be a response to what the architect knew might happen given the anti-social elements about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As for The Spire. If RTÉ applied for permission to erect a TV transmitter in the middle of O'Connell Street, people would rightly object.
    But call an identical structure a piece of sculpture and suddenly those same people are convinced it must be art and the emperor's clothes don't look too bad after all

A TV transmitter (such as Kippure or? Stillorgan) looks nothing like the spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Park House on the NCR

Park%20house-%20high%20res%20photo_m.jpg

Ghastly building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Even more daunting when you had to go there to get your adoption records!

A TV transmitter (such as Kippure or? Stillorgan) looks nothing like the spire.

Ever so slightly pedantic.

I never compared the Spire to Kippure or Stillorgan.

Try these instead -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSM-4mjG1NjGTPCbTK-cFqoTbBTjr3xKhazWTZD4tr3PvmsyBl
    Emley Moor UK

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHAajwnOeicnzv0F9WCsQ5STz9Wzk_PSMH1Q67ci7C0nTH6HIz
    Winter Hill UK

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZbHf3jy54FZU9reqx213hpj-Az-z1E1sntkY_fjnncGYKz1sqpg
    Senior Road USA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU0VmbUFC46e5Z9bpwsXrzF12OBluA4CT1f3d_b9IRZjjR78fQ
    Not a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

But call an identical structure a piece of sculpture and suddenly those same people are convinced it must be art and the emperor's clothes don't look too bad after all.

Well now, there are people who genuinely like it. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they're wrong.
    I think it's one of the best things about o'connell street, a street which has otherwise been let degrade a lot over the last few decades.

Considering all the work that was put into repaving o'connell street (which I like), and planting lots of trees on it, it's such a shame to see the place covered in gaudy signs and tacky frontages.
    The worst culprits being the ubiquitous fast-food chains, Mary Mediatrix, Dr.Quirkeys and that '4D' cinema across from the Savoy (which itself could do with a lick of paint).
    In most other cities they wouldn't be allowed to have such tastless shop fronts on what is meant to be the city's main street.

Ever so slightly pedantic

I guess you mean both of us? :D

From miles away two things can indeed look vaguely similar in shape. But none of those TV masts look a bit like the minimalist spire in Dublin. They have all sorts of bits and pieces stuck to them and they probably all have stays.

Your other points were really good, some cracking examples of different buildings. But, some people just like the spire, it's a matter of opinion, I like standing right beside it and looking up at it, I like the way it pops up when you least expect it in various car parks, restaurants and offices around the city, I think it's a bold enough structure, simple, but it's not ugly or foreboding. I like the engineering behind it and the fact that I was around when it was built.

face1990 wrote: »
    Well now, there are people who genuinely like it. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they're wrong.
    I think it's one of the best things about o'connell street, a street which has otherwise been let degrade a lot over the last few decades.

Considering all the work that was put into repaving o'connell street (which I like), and planting lots of trees on it, it's such a shame to see the place covered in gaudy signs and tacky frontages.
    The worst culprits being the ubiquitous fast-food chains, Mary Mediatrix, Dr.Quirkeys and that '4D' cinema across from the Savoy (which itself could do with a lick of paint).
    In most other cities they wouldn't be allowed to have such tastless shop fronts on what is meant to be the city's main street.

I'm not saying everyone I disagree with is wrong. I simply referred to what I believe to be one of the eyesores in Dublin, which is afterall, the purpose of this thread. Although the Spire is far from the worst offender in the city.

And apart from the sentence highlighted in red above, I agree with everything else you said.

I guess you mean both of us? :D

Yep. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

RADIUS wrote: »

Don't feel sorry for them they have Aldi, Omni shopping centre with Tesco's, IKEA and Northwood/Gullivers retail park all within walking distance.

More amenities than most areas.

No buses go from Ballymun to Omni , Ikea or Charlestown. Yes its walking distance for most of us but if you've done shopping and are elderly or unable to walk long distances its not ideal. Gullivers Retail Park doesnt really have anything of interest. You never see many people there , homebase , hickeys and two furniture shops don't really attract big crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Karen23 wrote: »
    No buses go from Ballymun to Omni , Ikea or Charlestown. Yes its walking distance for most of us but if you've done shopping and are elderly or unable to walk long distances its not ideal. Gullivers Retail Park doesnt really have anything of interest. You never see many people there , homebase , hickeys and two furniture shops don't really attract big crowds.

the 13 goes through ballmun to ikea and gullivers park,

as does the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

irishbird wrote: »

the 13 goes through ballmun to ikea and gullivers park,

as does the 4

Not anymore , the route was changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The 17a drops you at the top of Santry Avenue for the Omni.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Hill 16, its just awful looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Terminal_1.sflb.ashx

Dublin airport Terminal one.

N64 wrote: »
    Terminal_1.sflb.ashx

Dublin airport Terminal one.
    P
    lease tell me you don't include the roundy - fisherprice - car garage - things on the side??? It's illegal not to drive by them and not imagine freewheeling down them at speed in a car on a skateboard/land luge/go cart/handmade cart/shopping trolley...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I really like some of our more Brutalist buildings - it would be an absolute shame to demolish Liberty Hall, Busaras or the Central Bank. Poolbeg is totally iconic and should definitely stay as well. We need to realise that our city has a tapestry of different buildings, all built at different times with different architectural influences. What do you want - a city with only Georgian and modernist buildings?

One thing that does bug me though is that the top floors of many very fine old buildings are deserted. It would be great to see these lived in, and would normalise the city a bit at night. I'd rather see an old building used for some purpose, even if it meant altering it substantially, rather than leaving it to rot.

Advertisement