Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible foggy period next week

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

We could see some extensive and possibly disruptive fog next week as high pressure looks like settling over the country. Longer nights, warm and humid airmass from the southeast, slack winds and wet soils should all combine to form dense fog in many areas, especially where skies clear. During the day the fog may linger in places or lift to low stratus beneath a strong inversion, keeping daytime temperatures in single figures.

The exact positioning of the high will be crucial in determining which parts will be more prone, but it is one to keep an eye on.

ECM1-192_pxd3.GIF

Sounding for the midlands, Friday 26 October. Saturated surface layer.
    sondagegfs_54_4_180_1_1350596559.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Friend of mine used to work on a ship, and the captin banned the word fog, because to speak it out loud was bad luck. So the crew called it gof instead, being fog backwards. So gof is now my word for it, and don't we all enjoy a good gof now and then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Friend of mine used to work on a ship, and the captin banned the word fog, because to speak it out loud was bad luck. So the crew called it gof instead, being fog backwards. So gof is now my word for it, and don't we all enjoy a good gof now and then!

I would have told that Captain to fu gof!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Have to say i like a bit of fog (gof ;) ) in the Autumn,just has that "in front of the fire" feel about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It can be a pain in the hole for me in the job, I like it when I'm not working ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

First time seeing a thread about GOF! ;) .. Sure... some YOGGF photos always turn out nice ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Iancar29 wrote: »
    First time seeing a thread about GOF! ;) .. Sure... some YOGGF photos always turn out nice ! :)
    You mean yggof!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I like a bit of gof also, but I'd much rather some wons actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Maybe a GOF appreciation thread may start up, including pictures of different types of GOF:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I haven't the foggiest idea what GOF is??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Fog is a close second to snow, ill take that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Fog was a great horror film:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Lets not forget about the the very bad fog a couple of years back there was a horrible pile up on the, N7 or M7 sadly one person lost there lives in that,i was working in Dublin at time and was commuting on my motor bike i remember pulling in the petrol station on the Naas road because i could not see a thing not even the fog lights on peoples cars.
    Will the fog be as bad this time su.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

It's the Halloween fog!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Synoptic forecast for next Monday showing that humid continental air mass drawing closer to us. Sickening thing is that a set up like this would near guarantee to bring the risk of some big time storms up from the south and from the Continent if it were high summer.

225093.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Crap! I hate fog, second only to storm winds. I do a fair bit of driving for work, so I hate fog and the oblivious to fog motorists that ghost around in it.

I haven't the foggiest idea what GOF is??

.sdrawkcab nettirw 'gof' drow eht tsuj s'tI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Jesus I love fog, something like of scary, almost ghost like about it, especially around this time of year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Jesus I love fog, something like of scary, almost ghost like about it, especially around this time of year...

ERNlp.jpg

:D

Pangea wrote: »
    ERNlp.jpg

:D

The original was actually quite a creepy movie. (never saw the remake). Watching sea fog silently rolling in at night over Galway City when I lived there always reminded me of this film.

Advertisement