Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 Muffin Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Fixed some of the mess I made of writing that report.

No training today as I was choking with a dry cough, very annoying. Lots of Wedding DIY done though :)

@Dory - nope, soup, bread, bananas, water... that was it!
    @Trig1 - you too mate. I'll definitely hook up with you for a few spins. Need to get the bike serviced first. Since it looks like I won't be doing GLR too I may be out cycling sooner than expected
    @marthastew - did you spot shotgun in it? work away sweet heart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there studly muffin man....just had a special package delivered here - 2 dozen of the most succulent strawberries covered in various shades of chocolate and sprinkled with assorted nuts and confections. Do you think I partook in the frenzy created by the goodwill of a client? No. Nope. Nada. This one hurt. I love drippy, sweet, juicy strawberries all dressed up like that. :( That's okay. If my math is correct, I'm still ahead. ;):D

Part of the deal was target marathon success too. Im as good as out now. Injury passed and I was all poised to ease back to running. Alas a chest inection. Not my year thus far. Still avoiding the crap though...

Fair play to ya missing those strawberries... you really deserve a day in the zone at Boston!

Part of the deal was target marathon success too. Im as good as out now. Injury passed and I was all poised to ease back to running. Alas a chest inection. Not my year thus far. Still avoiding the crap though...

Fair play to ya missing those strawberries... you really deserve a day in the zone at Boston!

Oh yeah....that target marathon thing. I was hoping you had forgotten that. :o And I never count you out! Let the games continue! :)

Mad to get back to training. Chest just too bad to do anything. Can't string a sentence together without coughing or choking. Really need it too as work is sucking the life out of me. Actually making DIY wedding invites to fill evenings. That or reading a lot. Fitness dropping like a coin sinking to the bottom of a murky lake out of view. This is the longest streak of no training in a long time. :( Just as well I didn't enter a load of races.

• Advertisement

Provisional Race wish list now down to

Main goals
    Still sub3 swim at loch gill or similar
    Some 3-6k swims
    Where am I for these? In good progressive swim shape up until a few weeks ago. Chest has flattened me. Won't be back in pool for a couple of weeks minimum. Reckon I could get the form back though. Love swimming and missing it a lot..

Still sub3 run now at Dublin
    Where am I for this? No other run matters more. I want to hit sub3 really badly. Once this chest crap shifts I'm back running and it is the A goal. Hope to be back on a marathon type plan by end April

Sprint Tri in May
    Triathlon is not a focus but I'd like to do one or 2 just to stay in touch and have an excuse to keep the TT bike clean. After all stuff like Norseman exists on the long term wish list...

GFW
    It's my incentive to run and cycle up hills. A bit of fun. Thought I could race it but it will be a fun event for me. Maybe a couple of other Messing races cause they are simply more fulfilling than Tri

Where does this leave your May 5th marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sept 8th, 3.9km swim, Glendalough, don donn donnn donnnnnn.......

http://www.openwaterswimmer.ie/index.php/events/glendalough

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Where does this leave your May 5th marathon?
    No idea. fine missing a week or 2 of running. 2 months is a write off though. Im mad to do it but zero to 26 miles in a month? Assuming chest clears in next 2 weeks. At best a gentle jog around my hometown...

@Kurt - wasn't going to come all the way to Glendalough for 1500 but 3900 sounds appealling !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you need to be a member of an ow swim club to do that swim?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you need to be a member of an ow swim club to do that swim?

No, it's not a swim Ireland event, open to all (and skins or suits, up to you)

Finished the steroids today. Chest feels clear but it will be cautiously and slowly back into it. The only form of exercise in over 3 weeks was a solitary 1500m swim last Friday. After just 600m I struggled but kept the steady pace to clock 23:52, a PB! In fairness my existing best was 24:2x over short course in 2011 so it was possibly soft. It was all I had though. Lungs were raw afterwards and Caz was not pleased. Some decent sleep the last few days has sped things up too. I entered a sprint triathlon in May to have something to aim for that will entice me to recondition rather than just swim or run. Got the trusty roadie some much needed LBS attention and parts too and I'm looking forward to feeling the wind in my face...

Not all guns blazing but, go all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Finished the steroids today. The only form of exercise in over 3 weeks was a solitary 1500m swim last Friday. After just 600m I struggled but kept the steady pace to clock 23:52, a PB!

What was the name of those steroids ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    What was the name of those steroids ;)

Haha not the kind that gives you bulging veins and eyeballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

good to see your back on the wagon!!

Row 10*500m with 90 sec rest
    It felt like a crime heading to the gym on such a clear sunny evening but I doubted my chest was ready for the cold air just yet. The euphoric feeling of burning some calories plus the environment distracted me until the pain kicked in on the 4th rep. I got to 6 with a substantial effort but the next 2 were grim before complete melt down on the last 2. I bit off more than I could chew. My brother and I have this 10*500 challenge on that I will never live down if he beats me. He was never a rower but is a general sadistic powerhouse with an unusually high pain threshold :rolleyes:

The reps came out as 1:45/1:45/1:45/1:44/1:44/1:44/1:43/1:43/1:47/1:49. I had set my pace boat to 1:48 so I basically got carried away. I know the brothers dream is doing the set at 1:39 which means a weekly set of pain for me :cool:

Treadmill Run
    A simple 30 minutes facing either the wall or the little display of a red line tracing its way around a track. I picked a hilly programme and sweated my way to the finish. It even worse that I thought it would. Like starting from scratch. 6.2km

Easy Run
    Ah at last some fresh air :) It was mad at work so I only had a half hour to run. It was a glorious day for a simple out and back. I felt a real spring in my step initially but the return section into a cold headwind developed into a slog. I was breathing short and quickly for what used to be an easy effort. Despite the cold air I was dripping with sweat for a finish. It felt good to get out for a run but also obvious I need to take my time. 6.71km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

What rate were you doing for the 500's- good session!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's a pig of a set on the ergo. Rather you than me :D I'm guessing you were rating quite low too????

How's the achilles?

BTW, do you run in lock laces? Could these be causing issues for you?

@Trig1 & pgibbo - I was rating 26 for most and up to 27/28 for last 2 reps just struggling to hold on. Alas the brother did 8*500 at 1:43.7 average and is working up to 10 at that. My average for the 10 was 1:45.2. He is in the lead :o I'll rein him in over the next few weeks all going well :cool: It is a very tough session no doubt, real pain!!

Achilles seems fine but then just 2*6km runs done so far. No I don't run in lock laces. The Achilles was simply down to a pre breakfast hilly marathon training run one morning. Typical A type behaviour...

Yesterday
    Good 40 minute you tube Kettle bell session with Caz
    Today
    DOMS DOMS DOMS

• Advertisement

DOMs were too severe to do anything yesterday. Pretty tired after late night watching Au]ckland ITU men and a Saturday at the office boooo! Had to get something done to keep the gremlin away.

Row
    40 minutes steady state (rowing term for aerobic) on the ergometer at 1:56.7/500m and rating 21. Good piece. Felt it after a half hour and blisters formed but happy to get it done. Really felt how weak my back and core has become over the years. Something to keep in mind and address. 10.29km

Run
    45 minutes on a beautiful evening. To borrow Oryx's gem, looked like Spain, felt like Siberia :D. Been giggling at that phrase for days :D. Did the first 20 minutes very easy with Caz but wasn't warming up. Pushed on at my own pace and generally felt crap and unfit. Calves gave out, lungs gave out, form was rubbish, more sweat. Generally rubbish but it will feel as such for a while yet. 25 minutes stretching and rolling afterwards which felt even worse than the muffin run :( 8.88km

Bike
    First session out on the bike in ages. It initially felt far too easy until I realised I had a tailwind. There was no way I was spending the second half of the spin into a cold headwind so I turned back. 1:45 total out and back. Overall I spun steady pushing a little here and there. The blustery cold swirling wind made it tough in parts. I was tired for a finish but pleased to get a spin done before Munster pulled one out of the bag :)

Weekly Summary|Sessions|Comments
    Monday|Nothing|
    Tuesday|Row 10*500m, Short treadmill run|500s 1:45.2 avg, run horrid
    Wednesday|30min easy run, Kettlebells|First run outdoors in weeks, KBs tough!
    Thursday|Short Bike commute|cold air tighten lungs
    Friday|Bike commute, Row 40 mins SS|Commute same as Thursday, row felt solid but again unfit
    Saturday|45min easy run, stretch & roller|Run horrid again, felt fat, wooden & unfit
    Sunday|55.15km bike|Enjoyed it but wrecked
    Weekly km|Swim 0 Bike 86.15 Run 21.79 Row 18.29|Felt good to burn some calories :)
    2013 km|Swim 119 Bike 629 Run 531 Row 31|

Summary
    All in 7 hours 10. It just felt good to put down a few sessions. The DOMs from the kettlebells was unexpected. Apart from the rower I was off the clock and will largely remain so for next week. I may extend a run to an hour or so and do another Kettlebells session. The main difference will be swimming. Back to the pool in the morning and I'm really looking forward to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kb squats can give doms so bad you want crutches to get around. You must be doing it right :)

Row 9km inc 10*500m with 90 sec recovery and short brick run
    Better this week and edged ahead of the Brother but OMG did it hurt :eek:
    1:42.5
    1:41.7
    1:42.3
    1:41.7
    1:42.9
    1:43.8
    1:43.4
    1:44.1
    1:44.5
    1:43.8
    5 minute easy warm up this week.I went off hard for the first 100m of each then it was a case of settling and staying strong for another 40 strokes. I took the rate up to 29-30 for this session. The first few reps were a bit hard and I began to pay for it by rep 5 & 6. The 7th rep was real pain. I wanted to give up. After 8 I had all but thrown in the towel thinking I'd come back next week and try for 10. Instead I threw myself at 2 more and it was grim. A 1:43.1 average is good progress but I was wasted for a good 5 minutes afterwards. To rub salt in I did a 3.6km brick run around the Arena indoor track. I could feel the tank draining for a finish. Super session though, fully pumped :)

Swim
    Easy slooow 40 minutes before work. Felt like weights were tied to my ankles. Shoulders still had a hangover from the rower. Enjoyed being in the water, the only positive. 2km

Bike
    3 short hilly suburban laps on the roadie. It was an honest effort but my legs lacked both juice and fitness. The hills (not really hills) and wind (breeze) were a chore. 25.61km

Run
    Took a few minutes to recover after the bike and then got the jelly legs on for a short out and back. It was a sort of brick sprint tri on the horizon kinda run. 5.02km I pushed it for a measly return. 46 days to get into shape for a triathlon. Its a sprint so this session will be the weekly race prep. En route I'm down to pace 40 minutes at a local 10k. Lots of work to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

When you talk about rating on the machine is that the same as SPM? From memory i can only recall a rating of 1-10 on the rower and i was normally hitting 30-32spm hitting sub 2s for a steady effort. I assume (probably wrongly) that you are hitting those times off a much lower spm...a bit like BG work on the bike?

Good to see you back at it,must send you a mail re shoulder injury tomorrow.

@JB - you are right lower rate for steady effort. The lever on the concept 2 is resistance. 10 would be BG work and I'd rate 16-18 strokes per minute Max effort on each stroke. Typical set was 3 sets of 12*17/5 which was 17 BG Max effort strokes and 5 recovery strokes. Its a brute of a session.

For general aerobic conditioning Id rate 19-20 spm and pulling around 1:57-1:58 and have the lever at the 6 mark. In fact I have the lever at 5-6 for everything but BG sessions. Rating 24-27 for me is tempo. 28+ is speed.

Generally on the machine the following are popular sadistic training sets
    1 hour straight aerobic at 20 spm mental
    30 mins tempo effort at 26 spm hurts
    3*12 mins LT at 24-26 spm mental
    3*2k hard at 28-30 spm evil
    10*500 hard at 30-32 evil
    17/5 BG max sets evil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

En route I'm down to pace 40 minutes at a local 10k.

GLR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

@JB - you are right lower rate for steady effort. The lever on the concept 2 is resistance. 10 would be BG work and I'd rate 16-18 strokes per minute Max effort on each stroke. Typical set was 3 sets of 12*17/5 which was 17 BG Max effort strokes and 5 recovery strokes. Its a brute of a session.

For general aerobic conditioning Id rate 19-20 spm and pulling around 1:57-1:58 and have the lever at the 6 mark. In fact I have the lever at 5-6 for everything but BG sessions. Rating 24-27 for me is tempo. 28+ is speed.

Generally on the machine the following are popular sadistic training sets
    1 hour straight aerobic at 20 spm mental
    30 mins tempo effort at 26 spm hurts
    3*12 mins LT at 24-26 spm mental
    3*2k hard at 28-30 spm evil
    10*500 hard at 30-32 evil
    17/5 BG max sets evil

Brett Sutton is right so, rowers can suffer well and have the tools to become become good at long distance.
    Some of those sessions make 2x20 at threshold on the turbo seem like a piece of cake.

• Advertisement

Brett Sutton is right so, rowers can suffer well and have the tools to become become good at long distance.
    Some of those sessions make 2x20 at threshold on the turbo seem like a piece of cake.

A bit of a generalisation but true in the main part for anyone that rowed to a decent standard. They do tend to have a strong work ethic & very high threshold for pain. I've seen lads collapse in a heap off the ergo after ergo tests when figthing for places in a boat. The Redgrave documentary in the lead up to Athens gave some great insights in to the sadistic nature of rowing training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement