Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 Muffin Man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

pgibbo wrote: »
    A bit of a generalisation but true in the main part for anyone that rowed to a decent standard. They do tend to have a strong work ethic & very high threshold for pain. I've seen lads collapse in a heap off the ergo after ergo tests when figthing for places in a boat. The Redgrave documentary in the lead up to Athens gave some great insights in to the sadistic nature of rowing training.

I would be interested in viewing this if its online anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I would be interested in viewing this if its online anywhere?

Search for "Gold Fever" episodes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzmb0Qc3FM about 24:30 in James Cracknell (if you don't know how hard this guy is, google him!!) finishes a 2k erg test...

I've mainly put erg back into my programme as I feel triathlon has made me soft :o I'll be lynched for saying that but to be honest a 20 min Turbo test is nothing on a 5k winter erg or the pain of a 2k. I say that even with even with 2 hours of Ironman Marathon quad cramps in recent memory...

@RedB - No Mungret 10k 19th May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

@RedB - No Mungret 10k 19th March

Oh oh you are a little late for that mcos :D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Oh oh you are a little late for that mcos :D

Ahem.. I meant 19th May!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I watched James Cracknell on discovery doing 3 challenges and really impressed with his ability to suffer, especially on a race across America where he was hit by a truck, worth watching if you have not seen it.

• Advertisement

Bike
    37km out in that b@stardo of a wind. Felt unfit. Struggled. It was something.

Weekly Summary|Sessions|Comments
    Monday|Row 10*500m, Short indoor track run|500s 1:43.1 avg, run pain afterwards
    Tuesday |Short brick, mod bike & hard run| barely an hour work and wrecked
    Wednesday|2k easy swim|felt like an anchor
    Thursday|nothing|work & life took over
    Friday|nothing| same
    Saturday| nothing| same
    Sunday|37.15km bike|chore, bloody wind
    Weekly km|Swim 2 Bike 78.29 Run 8.62 Row 9|****e week, need to pull the finger out

2013 km|Swim 123 Bike 707 Run 540 Row 40|

Summary
    4 hours. Rubbish. If I don't put down some consistent training this week, forget about it :rolleyes:

@bennymul - yep watched it a few times, you never know. Live for now

Hard session yesterday
    9.5km row including 6*500m off 90 sec recovery. Reps in on
    1:40.3
    1:41.4
    1:41.8
    1:42.4
    1:41.9
    1:42.3
    First 100 hard the settled at 29-30 spm. Pushed harder on these expecting to do just 6. The usual pain. Not sure if I had another rep in me at that pace.

5 mins rest. I needed it. Then 5km tempo on the indoor track in 19:52. It took focus.

Easy session today
    SW wind is back, yay. Much milder for a spin on the bike. Just spun up the road to help the brother dismantle a wooden shed and spun back again. He did 9*500 at 1:43.8 on the erg. Savage splits for a guy who never rowed and basically crushes them out. 20.5 enjoyable km on the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Then 5km tempo on the indoor track in 19:52. It took focus.

the INDOOR track :eek::eek: I'd say you were dizzy after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I watched those Gold Fever docs, enjoyed them. I did not take much of a liking to the Tim fella for some reason. Jesus i knew Cracknell could suffer but them almost dropping to the floor after erg testing was unreal. I actually ended up watching over the Cracknell series again. I am actually planning on doing something similar to what he attempted in the US (obviously without the crash) when i hit 40, mid life crisis and a bit of a challenge.
    I suppose their ability to suffer and endure pain allows them to try out other activities when they retire such as triathlon etc. I see Cracknell has just recently placed and nabbed a spot at the AG Duathlon champs in GB.

Interested to hear what was a typical rowers week in terms of hours/distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I watched those Gold Fever docs, enjoyed them. I did not take much of a liking to the Tim fella for some reason. Jesus i knew Cracknell could suffer but them almost dropping to the floor after erg testing was unreal. I actually ended up watching over the Cracknell series again. I am actually planning on doing something similar to what he attempted in the US (obviously without the crash) when i hit 40, mid life crisis and a bit of a challenge.
    I suppose their ability to suffer and endure pain allows them to try out other activities when they retire such as triathlon etc. I see Cracknell has just recently placed and nabbed a spot at the AG Duathlon champs in GB.

Interested to hear what was a typical rowers week in terms of hours/distance.

Good shows for sure and they're at a whole different level.

At schoolboy level Fran we trained 7 days a week and twice a day during the holidays on 2 or 3 days.

I stopped after schoolboy level but I know people that have won senior pots and some of the training they did was animal. I'd be interested to hear what Mike and the UL folks did. Anyone that was borderline squad (national squad) level would be training damn hard.

As with triathlon there are many different levels in rowing. Some are recreational and some take it very seriously and target winning intermediate and senior pots. The big thing though which is a huge factor I think is that when you row, you're usually training with crew mates - hence you tend to push harder than when training solo. On the occasions you train solo on the C2 or in the gym you can then draw from those tougher sessions that were sufferfests when surrounded by crew mates.

• Advertisement

I'll probably ring in my 40th year with some silly challenge too. Gibbo is right those guys are multi gold medal winning Olympic heavyweight rowers. Full time athletes. At club/national level we would do much the same as he mentioned. Train everyday and twice a day 3 days as week on hold. Most of it was rowing from this time of year on up to 10 hours on the water. Winter would have seen 1 run, 2-3 weights sessions, 1 circuits, 2 long endurance ergs and 1-2 hard ergs during the week and rowing long aerobic technical drill type sessions at the weekend.

Training non existent this week. Nothing the last 3 days. Work & wedding plans.

Week summary

Weekly Summary|Sessions|Comments
    Monday|Row 6*500m, Short indoor track tempo run|500s 1:41.6 avg, run 19:52
    Tuesday |Short easy bike|
    Wednesday|nothing|crap day
    Thursday|nothing|work & life took over
    Friday|nothing| same
    Saturday| nothing| same
    Sunday|nothing|same
    Weekly km|Swim 0 Bike 20 Run 5 Row 9| :mad::(

2013 km|Swim 126 Bike 727 Run 545 Row 49|

Summary
    No words. Move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^ Maybe if you put in a sweets category you'd feel better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hey Mike...
    Any training going on, this thread has been very quiet lately! how are wedding plans going? when is the big day again?

Hey Stud Muffin Man! How's tricks? ;)

Still here just nothing to log.
    Sporadic sessions through 5 weeks of Achilles trouble and 7 weeks of viral asthmatic problems. Nearly 3 months off. Weight touching 84kg. Got a couple of runs in last week including pacing a mate to a sub 1:50 at the Great Limerick Run half. It was my longest run since Feb and just felt good to be running again. Despite feeling like a lump I enjoyed it and the beers afterwards.

Then I did my back in gardening. No running again :( So, back to the pool this week. A session on my own felt like learning all over again. Times 20secs per 100 off February form and at higher RPE too. The next session was a return to the club morning group. I demoted myself from the fast lane after the warm up! There was enough of a gang in the next lane for me to hide and I got through the set, just.

I have a triathlon in 2 weeks that I cannot do for several reasons so I am simply going to train as I please until after the wedding (4 weeks). The immediate goals are to get the wet suit on next week, find the gra for swimming and slowly build the running volume up to begin marathon training for Dublin.

The dual sub3 goals are still this year's priority. The 10k swim event is a non runner so I'll just track a 10k swim at Worlds End to satisfy that late Aug/early Sept. The run sub3 is a single shot at the DCM. Other than that Gaelforce and some form of triathlon during the summer for short term goals. I'll do a couple of tune up races leading up to DCM to benchmark form. Last little fitness objective is to beat the Bro's best for 10*500 on the C2 rower.

Wedding pieces are clicking into place on schedule. Lots of DIY involved. I'm harvesting millions of brownie points for the bucket list goals :). It took a solid week to recover from the stag and I can't wait to swim in the med again.

A couple of swims
    Pool: An hour of mucking about before work. Did lots of kicking which was hard. Otherwise just putting down a goal 3k. Some moments of 'feel' for the water but mainly muck. 3.3km

OW: A half hour of mucking about after work. Customary with the first dip in the open water in this country, brain freeze! Its a couple of weeks later than usual and I know it was not 11 degrees yet. Air temp was 10 and it felt almost the same as the water. It took almost 7 minutes of swimming with tight shoulders to feel my hands and feet. I thought I was swimming sort of OK through the chop on the river but 1:55 pace told the real story. Sub3 pace is 20sec per 100m faster and for 3 hours! It felt good to get the first dip done. It didn't feel good to squeeze the extra 7kg into the wetsuit though :rolleyes:

I have to pace a 10k this weekend... off a week of training... gulp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sure you'd hardly feel the cold with that layer of blubber;)

Good stuff that you're back at it Mike. I'm going to pick hints from your swim logs all summer. Whats the plan for building up to the sub3 10k? Its a great target you've set yourself, best of luck with it!

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Good stuff that you're back at it Mike. I'm going to pick hints from your swim logs all summer. Whats the plan for building up to the sub3 10k? Its a great target you've set yourself, best of luck with it!
    I didn't! It was just a case of blue hand, face and feet. Although I stayed in for 10 mins after the Tri group got out. Felt like punishment for sheer sloth.

Dunno, make up as I go along I suppose. Have a couple of benchmark sessions in mind that seemed like a realistic idea back in Jan :rolleyes: Have a few Mediterranean swims coming up in a few weeks, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Interested posted some key target sessions on this log a while back for a 10km swim. Can't search for them as on phone but should be easy to find.

• Advertisement

@Griffin - yeah 3 sets of 10*100 off descending cruising RTs progressing to a horrible set of 3*10*100...

Rowing Machine
    The brother did a set of 15*250m reps with 30 secs rest last week. He said it was "really tough". He did them at 51-52 secs each. It didn't register that 'tough' in his eyes is pure sadism in another's so 'really tough' meant simply, pain. I arrogantly thought this set of short reps seemed doable on paper and I'd get through the goal 20. I set a pace boat at 1:40/500m and raced it for the first 6 reps, clocking low 49s. It was too much. I was already shattered. I made it to 20 reps but took 3 of the reps as full recovery en route. The rest ranged from low 49 to mid 50 secs. It does sound like a simple session. Just 50 seconds work, then 30 seconds super easy recovery. The thing is the work becomes real pain real soon and it courses through your body. The 30 second recovery feels like nothing after 10. You don't recover. I felt annihilated after this. My brother is a maniac. Still, I will face it again until I complete it.. :rolleyes:

Easy Run
    After a few minutes of draping myself over a low wall wanting to die, oxygen started to return to my arms and legs. I headed outside the Arena into our lovely baltic summer rain to do a half hour easy run. 'Easy' felt like a complete chore. My body did not want to cooperate. It wanted food and to sit down.

Pacing practice run
    Since I have a pace job at the weekend I figured my 2nd run in as many months should be something geared towards that. 11.18km including 6k at 3:58 pace. Sounds good ya? Nope. I wheezed and ground the tempo out. My heart was beating through my chest and my form was just short of shocking. Scrap that, worse than shocking. Another 4k? If I somehow manage it, I'll hardly instil any confidence in those around me when I start panting after 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Steady state swim
    A better session. Just hopped in with no plan other than to dig some sort of quality from it. I focused on catch, high elbow and rolling the hips to breathe. That was it. It was a busy but polite lane. One fish with earphones and little orange paddles cruised passed me several times. I put some surges in to hang onto her for 50m. Otherwise it was a steady aerobic swim. 2,000m in 33:30. Nice return, undeserved for my absence in the pool. About my limit for now though. My form was dropping and feet cramping at the half hour. Although tired for a finish, I felt better after the swim than before :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I have a triathlon in 2 weeks that I cannot do for several reasons so I am simply going to train as I please until after the wedding (4 weeks).

Mike,

Not sure exactly when the big day is but best wishes! You've got the weather on your side anyway :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Same from me.

Many happy returns!

Oh.. hang on... ;)

Have a great day, and a wonderful life together. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Looks like you beat me to it by two weeks :D

Congratulations Mike, hope you had a wonderful day yesterday. Training starts back tomorrow ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats Mike, will you be allowed out to see us all at HOTW now you're tied down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats Mike!

I echo the above sentiments. Whoop whoop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats Mike and all the best to you both for the future.

• Advertisement

I'm back :)

I seriously thought about closing the log and starting a new one as this year has been a write off. However, swimming in the cool Med for the last 2 weeks has reminded me that its not all about the goal but the here and now of the journey to achieving them. 20km+ OW swimming in clear blue waters, through grottos and caves. Bliss. Not even a couple of jelly stings could deter me :D

I may not log as often but the plan is basically to maintain this log until both a sub3 marathon and sub3 10k swim are achieved. Attached is probably the closest I'll come to having a deep dish wheel :D Part of the huge make 'n do for the wedding! Thankfully something I'll only have to do once. It was a fantastic day on a typically 22 degree blue sky sunny Irish day!! Cycling is a non priority this year other than to hop on the saddle once a week for a spin. Its all about the swimming and running, with some yoga and conditioning thrown in to fill gaps.

For a tanned, happy and fat Muffin Man, it starts again... I'll catch up with the other logs eventually. I'm off for a run :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement