Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 Muffin Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Welcome back. U were missed in ur absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Welcome back. U were missed in ur absence.

Not by the former 2nd place swimmer in the SBR tables, he wasn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Welcome back Sir Stud Muffin!! You and your go get 'em attitude were sorely missed. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Welcome back you loved up stud muffin, you. I expect great things from you now that you're on this post-nuptial high.

Ps the wheel is VERY cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

AM Pool Swim
    Entered the "no prisoners" fast lane. Been a while.
    6*50 easy warm up
    6*200 off 3:20 in on 2:59/3:01/3:00/3:02/2:57/3:01
    6*100 off 1:40 in on 1:33-1:34
    12*50 steady
    400 easy mixed
    3,100m total

The 200s started well taking 71 strokes per 100. Ended fighting with the water taking 79 strokes per 100. Big drop in efficiency. I followed a good swimmer for the first 4 and then decided to move up a place and chase the fish. My shoulders and lungs burned. The 100s were awful, simply dogged efforts. The rest was rubbish. Happy just to get through it.

PM OW Swim
    I had a short window so I just joined the 50 or so others for a half hour blast. I was a bit late down and the gang was 300m or so up river by the time I entered. I horsed into it and caught the mob by the turnaround. I stopped briefly to admire Aaron O'Brien's stroke at the head of things. Not too unlike the ITU elites. I picked bodies off and just swam hard. Once again my shoulders and lungs burned but 1.73km return for 27 minutes work wasn't bad.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Not by the former 2nd place swimmer in the SBR tables, he wasn't ;)
    Its still close though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Welcome back Mike, i hope the wedding was a blast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will we be seeing you in Kilkee muffin man?

Will we be seeing you in Kilkee muffin man?
    Definitely not in a tri suit. Mine wouldn't even fit! If I get down it will be as a spectator for once. If not working I'll pop down and holler at ye all :)

Short run
    I was skipping around 2-3 laps of this particular route back in Feb without a bother. A solitary 8km lap today gave me doubts. My legs felt like lead slowly melting in the sun. The humidity had me gasping for breath. The sweat dripped off my nose and cheeks. My cadence barely that of a stumble refused to lift. Terrible run but one has to start somewhere...

Short Swim
    I missed the group swim this morning. Settling back to the daily toil taking its toll. I put down a steady 40 minutes in a busy lane this evening. I felt tired throughout. I yearn for the freedom and space of the OW. Mates are advising me to book a weekend away to beat these blues...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Definitely not in a tri suit. Mine wouldn't even fit! If I get down it will be as a spectator for once. If not working I'll pop down and holler at ye all :)

If you're nice we might even let you in to the pulse party :D

• Advertisement

Swims
    3.1km pool - 6*200 off 3:20 main set which had me heaving. Reps 2:57-3:02
    1.7km OW - mini race with club. Hard and shoulders feeling it. Pace 1:36
    2.3km pool - steady state swim. Felt tired throughout. Pace 1:41
    1.5km OW - relay swim at Killed HOTW. 4th relay swimmer out of 50 but 50th of 670 overall. 24:01 in a gnarly bay. Bounced over the waves. Goggles filling with water and just took a poor line in general. Way off last year.

Runs
    8.2km easy - felt like as lump
    10.2km easy - struggled to get it done. Lungs, legs, core, cadence... all not good
    8km easy - generally just easing back into it.

Overall it was well short of the plan but a start. Great buzz in Kilkee. Shame about athlete discipline. Jumping the swim start. Drafting on the bike again. Just a lack of respect for fellow competitors and the event IMO. I think the race could start earlier and have a different wave starting structure. Great to have an Olympian there showing how its done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Apologies for the delay but congratulations to you both.

Swimming
    3.1km pool - group swim main set 12*100
    3.4km OW - solo, hit 1.5k in 23:40, simply too fast. Faded badly thereafter

Running
    8.2km easy - lunchtime city loop, pace 4:23. Too fast and felt it
    8km easier - hilly urban loop easy, pace 4:41. Half comfortable but little hills were a slog

Rowing
    7.64 km steady state erg. 30 mins on the C2 at 1:58.1 rating 19-20. Sweaty

Overall very poor week. Less than half the planned volume done. Weighed in at 82kg too, almost back to pre triathlon days. The next 2 weeks see 2 races. An AR (MS type) and the Warrior of the Sea. The AR will be embarrassing enough to properly kick start the mojo. The swim is 6k and will be a far stretch for my current fitness and form. Neither are priority. Getting long runs done is the key focus.

Hey Stud Muffin! How's the sugary sweet, chocolatley decadence abstinance coming along? How many sins have you taken? Or have you lost count? ;) DCM....16 weeks away....tick, tick, tick.....

Basically forgotten what chocolate tastes like. However there was a wedding and honeymoon in hot country and I gorged on ice cream. So I guess you win. I've already won really though which I will explain over pizza after DCM. At the level I'm running at right now you may just have a personal stud muffin man pacer!

Basically forgotten what chocolate tastes like. However there was a wedding and honeymoon in hot country and I gorged on ice cream. So I guess you win. I've already won really though which I will explain over pizza after DCM. At the level I'm running at right now you may just have a personal stud muffin man pacer!

Did you just ask me out for pizza after DCM? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did you just ask me out for pizza after DCM? ;)
    Yup ;)

Race in the morning. 78km
    I'm 83.5kg, in old money, a full stone heavier than last time I did it
    Involves cycling and mountain running.
    I've seen mountains out of the car window.
    Bike taken out of the attic and cobwebs removed
    Grim feeling in the muffin...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yup ;)

Race in the morning. 78km
    I'm 83.5kg, in old money, a full stone heavier than last time I did it
    Involves cycling and mountain running.
    I've seen mountains out of the car window.
    Bike taken out of the attic and cobwebs removed
    Grim feeling in the muffin...

You'll be grand :)

You did write a will when you got married right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How'd it go Mike?

pgibbo wrote: »
    How'd it go Mike?
    It went. Its gone.

Headless Horseman AR
    It was not one of the many races I have entered this year only not to show up. It was an invite and I accepted. The plan was simply to get through it and not embarrass myself. I was happily sitting in the middle of the bunch start when I heard Mahon calling me up to the front. Great. I recognised a few faces from the Keeper Challenge race too. Enough to know a good race was going to unfold up front. I had dusted cobwebs off the bike the night before. I wasn't worried about having zero bike training done in 10 months. It was the mountain run that worried me. Would I even finish. It was warm too.

The motorbike lead us around the town of Kilmallock and pulled away when it was safe to belt out the road towards the Ballyhouras. One lad flaked off the front and i though it would be short lived. I pulled a dozen other with me in pursuit. By the time I caught him I had opened a gap but the matches were not being spent, the box was already in flames! This guy was the real deal so I back off back to the chase bunch anticipating the climb to T1. Mahon was hiding in this lot so it was the place to be as he is never far from the action in any race.

Once the gradient kicked up we started to break up and reel in the leader. I was in the lead 5 with 20 minutes gone and climbing reasonably well for the extra 6kg I was carrying. About 3km of climbing later I started to think this was longer than last year. I glanced behind to see an empty road. We had missed the transition! I let out a roar but the others had also realised. What followed was nothing short of highly dangerous and it was lucky no one got seriously hurt.

A dozen of us had realised we missed the transition and were now descending hard in chase. I was on the bars and travelling fastest. I saw the runners first and roared again. The runners were pouring out of transition and filing across the road like lemmings. I braked early but a few other flew past and left it late. Bodies jumped out the way as 2 of the bike clattered to the ground. The transition entrance was basically a hole in the ditch with a 50m climbing trail to the bike park. Some guys were running their bikes into the ditch as they effed and blinded. I just carried my bike up to T1. When I arrived I was horrified to see more than 50 bikes already racked. Being late too I had escaped a collapsed railing with bikes scattered beneath it like dominoes.

I racked and high tailed it out to cross the road to the trail. Most of my angry company were long gone with rage to burn up the hill. Looking at the result Mahon was first to T1 in 23 minutes. I arrived over 7 minutes later. He was on my wheel for most of the climb! The sun was out now and it was already hot.

After a few minutes passing people running on more or less level terrain I looked right. The sky was clear and revealed the entire trail to the top of Seefin littered with a long line of runners/walkers. As soon as I set foot on the rocky hill my legs gave out. Within minutes I was walking. I adopted a run/walk strategy with the larger part walking. Guys would pass me out only to drop to a walk again 10m in front of me. I did the same. I figured the leaders were close to the top and I estimated 30-40 bodies in between them and I. I just didn't have anything. I was baking and felt simply unfit. I walked the last 500m of steepest rocky trail chatting with last years female winner. She was suffering too but currently in 2nd.

The climb seemed to take all day but with the slope now falling away as quickly as it had risen I hurtled down hill. I just let go and had some fun. I wasn't in the shape to hold the pace so my heart rate took off too. I felt loose but cut it fine at times. It was more about controlling the free-fall than running. It was too narrow a trail to pass for a couple of kms so every time I approached to overtake I'd have to wait to let by. I set myself a target of passing 10 on the descent and as many as my legs could on the long bike section.

The whole mountain run section was just 9km or so but it hurt. I had made up the 10 places by T2 but both my legs and lungs burned. This time last year I tore into the descent with confidence in my handling and training. This year I was a little nervous. I didn't trust myself to stay down on the bars an waited to pass other bikes instead of taking them on bends.

From Kilmallock to Loch Gur is a straight rolling 30km and it was where I did the main damage last year. I gave it all I had this time but what I had was very little. I caught a couple of pairs and trios, pausing for a breather with them for a moment and pushing on. The more I passed the larger the time alone grew and the faster the bikes became. I ended up spending the last 10km trying to shake 2 other TTers only to arrive into T3 with them. I should have just stayed with them and worked together. It didn't matter. we were over 2 hours into the race and I was all but done.

The 2 boys had better running legs than my shuffle and left me. It was about 2km to the lake and I felt like laying down on the melting tarmac. I rationalised that it was just a few short sections left and to take one at a time. This was a different feeling. I've hurt in races plenty of times but usually from pushing out a result from the training done. This was more like survival mode. I necked a gel for all the good it would do. My legs did not want to run. A small hill descends most of the last 400m to the lake. It was at this point the leaders passed me. Mahon was 3rd and unsurprisingly battling. A minute later 5 of the angry men passed, still enraged by the look of it. My quads cramped running down hill to add to the fun. I counted 2 more double Kayaks on the lake so I was in 13th. I knew that was as good as it was going to be too.

I hung out in the timeout zone for ages chatting with a girl with a mic until another guy arrived. I put on the life jacket thinking I had a partner. However he called for a single and paddled away, punk! I grabbed the next single and chased hard. It was an 800m paddle around 2 buoys and back to shore. The lake was clear and I was moving well reeling him in. After the 2nd buoy with 250m left to shore I was toast. My arms and back drained. My will deflated. I stopped paddling and just drifted. I was so tempted to jump in and swim to shore to hang out on the grass with Caz. She was on her feet and yelling for me to get moving now and I obliged with an easy paddle in.

I was about to head off when the marshall asked me to move the kayak over to the pile. The next 20 seconds defined my race. 2 lads stood opposite me holding a double and fumbling with paddles. In any other situation I would have roared at them to move and/or gone around them. In this instance I just waited for them to get sorted and into the water! As Caz put it to her accompanying Auntie, "he's on a go slow!". Actually I was just wrecked.

I met the lad who left me for his own Kayak on the hill. He was stopped an massaging his hamstring. My quads were also cramping guddo so I suggested we trot back to get out bike together. 10 minutes of shuffling along chatting passed quickly and we were back on our bikes for the home stretch. I did just enough to put enough time into him so the last 1.5km run through a field and back to the finish in the town was safe from attack. I finish in 3:30 or so, some 35 minutes slower than last year. Caz met me and handed me chocolate yazoo drink which was like manna from heaven. She's my angel.

Speaking with people afterwards it was all about the heat and the "muppets" who missed transition. Mahon though it was hilarious. He came 3rd. The wily old fox!

I was just glad to be finished. I didn't take a finishers medal because I didn't feel I deserved one. My real reward was an evening of painting and gardening :rolleyes: Ah married life :D

Next up on the abuse list is the Warrior of the Sea swim in Sligo next week. 6km. It will be the longest swim I've ever done. Tonight I hit the pool after work to put in a week of swim training. I swam for an hour steady state and felt like I needed a chair in the shower.... If I finish this one I'm keeping the finishers medal :cool:

• Advertisement

I think you earned this finisher's medal. You should have accepted it. Well done.....and nice report. ;)

Great report. Might see you at the WOTS. Still trying to decide if to do it. tbh the distance is scaring me, especially after struggling in a 2.5km race last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I think you earned this finisher's medal. You should have accepted it. Well done.....and nice report. ;)
    +1

griffin100 wrote: »
    Great report. Might see you at the WOTS. Still trying to decide if to do it. tbh the distance is scaring me, especially after struggling in a 2.5km race last weekend.

Do it. I'm only at 3km and feeling it at that. Sea water and wetsuit will help. Plus you can pause at aid station to get as drink. Be sure to easy hi :)

Do it. I'm only at 3km and feeling it at that. Sea water and wetsuit will help. Plus you can pause at aid station to get as drink. Be sure to easy hi :)

That all sounds very reasonable to me. Maybe I'll see you at the drinks boat for a chat on Saturday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great report Mike.

Best of luck this weekend. Looks like it will be a cracking day for it.

I was in your beloved Limerick last night. Thomond is some spot! :cool:

Swims
    An hour steady state on Monday at 1:45 pace. Happy to get through it but not happy with how I felt. Form generally poor and was fading by the end. This point will be just over half way on Saturday:eek:

Group swim this morning. Another hour including a main set of 4*(200/3*100) off 3:20 and 1:40. I took advantage of a fish being lazy and held feet for most of it. I had to work hard but swam 1:29-1:30 pace throughout. I'd never manage that alone and I was breathing very hard. Positively I had a feel for the water and my stroke felt smoother and more efficient at the catch

For me to finish on Saturday without swimming through cement for the last 2km, I really need to dial the effort back at the start. I'm looking forward to it but wishing I was in better shape.

Swims
    An hour steady state on Monday at 1:45 pace. Happy to get through it but not happy with how I felt. Form generally poor and was fading by the end. This point will be just over half way on Saturday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I really need to dial the effort back at the start.

Too funny. Your nature won't allow this. The first section is just over a km and then theres a bit of a walk about, before starting into the proper stuff. You'll race. You know it. ;)

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    Too funny. Your nature won't allow this. The first section is just over a km and then theres a bit of a walk about, before starting into the proper stuff. You'll race. You know it. ;)

Ill leave the racing to you Champ, Im assuming you are gunning for one place better! Its about survival for me. Im having flashbacks of the epic meltdown in the final km of the i3 swim in 2011 and that was with IM fitness behind me!! If my nature takes over Ill be cooked before the final 2.3km "home stretch"...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement