Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 Muffin Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Short Easy Run
    I meant to do this first thing this morning but slept in. What greeted me at lunchtime was my penance! I was barely out the door when a sudden squally turn of conditions kicked up a headwind that blew wet leaves off the street into my face. An icy torrential shower accompanied it and I was both frozen and soaked to the bone within minutes. I strongly considered turning back but pressed on thinking I was about as wet as I could get anyway. Thankfully the sun came out just as suddenly after a few more minutes to thaw me out. It was just 8.15km at 4:46 pace, HR 141. Controlled, but I felt stiff and tired too and will be glad for a break tomorrow. My legs need it.

Row/Yoga
    Driving over to the Arena in the rain, I was happy to have the run done. I just could not have faced the treadmill in a sweaty gym again. I hit the gym nonetheless to cross train on the concept 2 rowing ergo. 30 minutes at 1:56.9/500m and 7.7km later and I was toasted. I held a steady pace for 25 minutes then built it to the running equivalent of 5k pace. I tried to do a few chin ups afterwards but managed just 4 before my sweaty palms failed me. I was a bit early for Yoga so did 15 minutes stretching. My legs appreciated it. The tecnician "the instructor's favourite pupil" showed up along with some other athletes for various sports, which meant the ante was raised. Poses held for.that.second.loonnnger. I pushed them this week until the limbs shook. I'm determined to improve my flexibility and core strength. It is part of becoming a better runner... or so I'm told :rolleyes: Anyway, I sweated a lot and enjoyed it in a kind of sadistic way. As hard as yoga can be, you always feel smashing afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

+1 on the yoga. I'm really incorporating it into my daily/weekly routine. Core and flexibility, it's a nice enhancement to all the other working parts.

Swim Squad
    Large group down again. The only fish was the technician and no one wanted to follow her as it essentially meant watching her bubbles vanish and leading out the pack. I hid for the first quarter of the main set before I was discovered. I spent the rest of the set chasing the technician in vain. My stroke felt better than last time though. Same RTs and was getting more rest. The choice stroke wrecked me again but at least I can make a full length of breast stroke and back stroke now :)
    Session
    10*50m warm up including drills
    8*50m hard in on 37-38
    3 sets of 2*100m/200m/2*100m
    6*50 choice strokes
    Griffin100's 15 minute challenege*
    50m easy
    3,600m total

*Griffin100's 15 minute Challenge was grand. 5 minute kick with fins 275m, 5 minute treading water, 5 minute kick with fins 275m :) I need the kicking practice anyway so treated this as part of the session. Some of teh gang though I was in trouble treading water in the middle of the lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Thats some serious swimming, would love to be up around that level. Think the idea of joining a group would help no end.

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Short Easy Run
    I meant to do this first thing this morning but slept in. What greeted me at lunchtime was my penance! I was barely out the door when a sudden squally turn of conditions kicked up a headwind that blew wet leaves off the street into my face. An icy torrential shower accompanied it and I was both frozen and soaked to the bone within minutes. I strongly considered turning back but pressed on thinking I was about as wet as I could get anyway. Thankfully the sun came out just as suddenly after a few more minutes to thaw me out. It was just 8.15km at 4:46 pace, HR 141. Controlled, but I felt stiff and tired too and will be glad for a break tomorrow. My legs need it.

Row/Yoga
    Driving over to the Arena in the rain, I was happy to have the run done. I just could not have faced the treadmill in a sweaty gym again. I hit the gym nonetheless to cross train on the concept 2 rowing ergo. 30 minutes at 1:56.9/500m and 7.7km later and I was toasted. I held a steady pace for 25 minutes then built it to the running equivalent of 5k pace. I tried to do a few chin ups afterwards but managed just 4 before my sweaty palms failed me. I was a bit early for Yoga so did 15 minutes stretching. My legs appreciated it. The tecnician "the instructor's favourite pupil" showed up along with some other athletes for various sports, which meant the ante was raised. Poses held for.that.second.loonnnger. I pushed them this week until the limbs shook. I'm determined to improve my flexibility and core strength. It is part of becoming a better runner... or so I'm told :rolleyes: Anyway, I sweated a lot and enjoyed it in a kind of sadistic way. As hard as yoga can be, you always feel smashing afterwards :)

Nice erg session there, I must get into U.L. to do some cross training of my own. when are the yoga sessions on Mike and what is the story with them, do you have to pay up front for few sessions? or is it pay on the night? is it only for tri club members?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

If you mentioned this already, I must have missed it- but, are you following a specific marathon program once base training is over? And have you any thoughts on the FIRST program?- seems to be ideal for multi-sporters who are looking to run a marathon.

Best of luck, that sub3 itch just doesn't go away till its scratched, does it?

@BUACHILL - group swims def the way to go, brought my progress along a lot. Bear in mind though that the group swims will plateau eventually but many ways to progress further by leading out your lane, moving up a lane, doing a similar set on your own...
    @Trig1 - Its my Mum's class and she does Wednesday morning 0715hrs. Thursday 1915hrs and Saturday morning too. Its pay as you go. I do the Thursday class, usually get there for about 6 so I hop on the erg for the cross train. The erg, I have found, will help swim fitness too :)
    @Kurt Godel - I'm going to use a hybrid of 3 resources.
    1. - The best of Boards advice (I've checked all the sub 3 marathon blogs). Seems the staple, 3 easy/base runs, one tempo, one intervals, 1 long easy/progression is the general diet. Use your own spices and seasoning :)
    2. - The running club Coach. A Coach has moved to our club from another well established club and I trust his advice as he has facilitated plenty of runners I aspire to. He also advocated more mileage and keeping most of it at base intensity even during the marathon phase.
    3. - P&D. I've just bought the Advanced Marathon Book so I'll use it as a general guide. BTW, I also bought the Swim Smooth book and its superb! I highly highly recommend it.

@Kurt Godel - I'm going to use a hybrid of 3 resources.
    1. - The best of Boards advice (I've checked all the sub 3 marathon blogs). Seems the staple, 3 easy/base runs, one tempo, one intervals, 1 long easy/progression is the general diet. Use your own spices and seasoning :)
    2. - The running club Coach. A Coach has moved to our club from another well established club and I trust his advice as he has facilitated plenty of runners I aspire to. He also advocated more mileage and keeping most of it at base intensity even during the marathon phase.
    3. - P&D. I've just bought the Advanced Marathon Book so I'll use it as a general guide. BTW, I also bought the Swim Smooth book and its superb! I highly highly recommend it.

Good stuff. I used the P&D (55mile first, 70mile second) for both my sub 3 attempts, found the book very useful indeed. Its a marathon bible. The Boardsie advice does seem to distill down to those three (or four) key runs a week, filled with easy/cross/spicey stuff. FIRST just fills the spicey with swims/bikes, from what I can see.

Anyway, I'm gonna be real interested seeing how this log goes, whatever program you decide on. I'll steal a look at SwimSmooth, that book keeps coming up in conversation!

Limerick Senior Cross Country Championships
    My first go at cross country! I was anxious about it since I was on a team and the other 3 guys are all much better runners than I. It was a 10k event and I didn't want to let the team down. I met the guys and we jogged over to the start in the back fields of UL. The ground was very soft and muddy. It was cold and dark clouds threatened rain too. 30+ serious looking runners gathered for the start. I recognised enough of them to start at the back of the group. I got some advice from one of my team to take it steady. 10k on mud was a lot tougher than 10k on road.

I heeded the advice and watched practically the entire field bolt off ahead of me. The route was 5 laps of the perimeter of some fields including a steep muddy bank to be negotiated on each lap. My Garmin had acted up earlier so I was running on feel. Within minutes the cold air pinched my lungs and my heart rate was beating through my chest. I thought I had gone a bit hard on the first lap and settled. I wore Innov8 Mudclaws and they really held their own on most of the course. Some of it was just Wellington territory!

The field had spread out by the second lap and I thought I was about 20th. I would have taken that there and then as my expectations for the race was simply not to come last! I passed 2 more gradually on the second lap but my 3 team mates were way ahead. We had one running in the top 10 and the other 2 were together in a small group a few hundred meters ahead. I found the 3rd lap mentally tough. There were 2 more runners between me and my next team mate with about 100m separating the 3 of us. I recognised the West Lmk AC guy ahead and knew I was quicker than him on the road. He seemed a lot stronger in the mud though. Half way through the race my calves and quads were really feeling it. We also had a heavy hail shower to contend with. The muddy bank almost brought on cramp at one stage but I was determined not to let the gap get any bigger.

We stayed in these positions for the third lap until I noticed the guy ahead pushing to reel in the Lmk AC vest ahead of him. I pushed too to hold the gap steady. In doing so I actually closed it and half way through the 4th lap passed him. This was where it started to really feel like a race rather than running for a time in a road 10k. I knew that positions mattered for the team event. He stuck to me though and sat on my shoulder. Damn! Had I moved too soon when I was tracking him nicely. I maintained the pace hoping to shake him and passed his hare in the process. Lap 4 was really hurting now. My quads were screaming at me to ease off. I thought great now was someone between West Lmk and me and perhaps I could open a gap. I had learned already how hard it was to bridge just 30m!

At the end of lap 4 though he was there again and passed me! The gap was growing by the second until I dug in. I gritted me teeth and pushed passed him again. I knew there was going to be a hard finish. We hadn't lost the Lmk AC vest either! On the long straight on a back field with half a lap to go I pushed again. My heart rate was racing and I wondered how long I could do this before I blew up. Had I gone too early again? Unbelievably I was reeling in one of my team mates. He is 4 minutes faster than me over a road 10k! I pulled up beside him before the bank for the last time. I stumbled on the bank and he pushed ahead. I looked back and saw the 2 boys holding a 20m gap and battling each other. We had 300m to go...

Before the final 150 stretch, the firmest part of the course, you had to run back down the steep bank. I wasn't going to match my team mate's kick but I didn't mind. I just wanted to hold off the 2 chasers. I was all out with 60m to go and glanced back to see the 2 had started to sprint. I immediately sprinted and beat them to the line for 15th position. 6 seconds separated the 4 of us and I had my hands on my knees, spent!

I felt like I had run 10 miles rather than 10k. The coach seemed happy with our performance. The winner pulled a minute clear of the rest and did a 35 :eek: I ended up with 41:02 just 2 seconds off a team mate scalp that would have shocked me. It took 20 minutes to shower the mud off my runners and myself. I headed up for the tea and sandwiches and learned about the intense rivalry between Limerick clubs. It was a great experience, very tough but very rewarding too. I was happy with my performance and was very surprised when we got Bronze! It was our club's first men's team medal at a county championship ever :) Sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Well done Mike, Great report and welcome to the world of Cross Country.
    Congrats on the club medal as well, all the better when you have to work that hard for it.
    I also see the ladies team took the title.
    As you said its real racing, non of this garmin pacing stuff. You will learn a lot more about yourself in few xc races than you will ever with a garmin, well that's my opinion anyway lol,
    I didnt know your first scoring man ran with that club, did he only change this year, Great win for Colm, he had some very good lads behind he, a long way behind him.

Best of luck with the new goal's for '13.

Any insight into who the club coach is ?. JC maybe

• Advertisement

@Ceepo - Thanks. Yep Coach is JC. All 3 of my team mates have come over from WLAC. The ladies sweeped it alright. They have a strong team and Liz Hussey on board to make it even stronger too. XC is the real deal. I remember you telling me about it up in Portlaois. I'll definitely do it again. Colm had a comfortable win. He is unreal when he decides to do a bit of training and race hard. If only he committed to something properly!

Short Easy Run
    I would have liked to get a short bike done today to spin out the legs but there was a lot to do. It was late by the time I hit the road. It was wet and cold but I suppose its something we must get used to for the next few months. 11.4km at 5min pace. I kept it very easy. The legs felt stiff but turned over. I had a bad stitch for most of it which was my own fault for scoffing apple tart before I left :rolleyes:
    Weekly Objectives
    2 swims - 1 group, 1 solo work + drills - target 6km
    6 runs - 3 easy, 1 session, 1 long, 1 short tempo - target 70km
    2 hours S&C with row, yoga, run drills,
    Ideally a short easy bike spin too

Actual:
    2 swims - 7.1km including the 15 minute mash up challenge
    6 runs - 76.91km substituting XC race for long run
    1 row - 7.7km
    Yoga, run drills, flexibility - 2 hours
    Weight Check: 78.4kg - -1.0 from last check

Much better week. I'm happy to hit the run target and delighted with the race :) The second swim felt a little better in that I had some sort of feel for the water. The 30 minute row left me with blisters which is shocking but it has been a long time since I rowed or used the machine. Caz got her Marathon sub4 quest started with a couple of short easy runs. We both have a long way to go!

New Weekly Objectives
    2-3 swims
    6 runs - similar to last week but with a long run and 80km total target
    2 Yoga sessions
    Do my own 15 minute mash up challenge to see if its doable in the time
    Maybe do BTH's zumba challenge

Medium Base Run
    Same 2 laps of suburbia as last week. It will become my Monday run whatever the conditions so a decent run to benchmark base development. It has a nice few drags too. Its a lovely night out there, chilly, calm, dry and no wind. No progress on last week really. 16.55km at 4:44 pace, hr 145. Cadence checks every 20 minutes 84,84,86. The 86 was forced though and my heart rate had climbed outside base zone after the 30 second count. Lots of people out running tonight. The DCM is over so I wonder what the buzz is. Perhaps all these recreational runners are actually launching into a winter's training ahead of Jan 1st :eek::D Comfortable run.

Lots of people out running tonight. The DCM is over so I wonder what the buzz is. Perhaps all these recreational runners are actually launching into a winter's training ahead of Jan 1st :eek::D

I reckon thats what it is. This iteration of the running boom is a few years off the couch, they're in general that bit more clued in. At the pacer stall for the Dublin Marathon, we were handing out pacebands. 3:45 was the most popular (it was always 4:00). We ran out of 3:00 and 3:15 pacebands, thats a first!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Kurt Godel wrote: »

I reckon thats what it is. This iteration of the running boom is a few years off the couch, they're in general that bit more clued in. At the pacer stall for the Dublin Marathon, we were handing out pacebands. 3:45 was the most popular (it was always 4:00). We ran out of 3:00 and 3:15 pacebands, thats a first!

Met a good few runners out in Phoenix Park in miserable weather yesterday, one in a DCM finisher shirt (mine was in the wash).

Short Easy Run
    It was late when I got out and I had a slight stitch most of the way around because it wasn't long after eating. Lovely night again for running, not too cold, dry and hardly a breeze. Just 9.5km at 4:46 pace, hr 140. I felt like running more which is a sign that it was easy enough for easy :) I'm digesting the P&D book but flicking through the plans it looks as though I'll use the bones of the 55-70mpw plan. It has precious all speed work though so that's one area where I'll change it up a little. The 18 week plan will start in January after 8 weeks base and I'll split it something like 8 week speed/10 week specific marathon. I'd look to do a 10k or 10 mile towards the latter end of the 8 week block and another 10k and/or half marathon in the 10 week block. It all depends on available races. Apart from that I'll incorporate some hillwork, swims and cross training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done in the XC, tough running if you don't have any spikes.

@RQ - I didn't have spikes but the Innov8 Mudclaw were good for traction except where the mud was a foot deep

Medium Long Base Run
    I made the mistake of checking back over the Roth diary to see that I used to do this run sandwiched between 2 hard turbo days with a couple of swims lobbed in for fun :eek: I have zero bike focus at the moment but I will inject a couple of easy 30 minute recovery spinners when the going gets tough on these runs. 2 slightly longer laps of suburbia on a miserably damp evening. It has been a long mentally draining day. I could only watch shotgunjunior having fun at the pool the office sapped so much grey matter. I was chatting with a rowing mate for a while before he hopped in with a heart full of hell of the west ambitions. I felt a bit annoyed with myself that I've let the swimming go. Back to the pool in the morning or else :cool:

Anyway, I was in no mood for the run but just got on with it before the excuses set in. 19.13km at 4:42 pace, hr 146. For the first few minutes the garmin was playing with my mind showing a slow ass pace for a threshold heart rate :rolleyes: I ignored it and ran by feel for the first lap. It was milder tonight, still no real wind but enough drizzly showers to ensure I was sodding wet. Lap one felt long but at a shade over 45 minutes it gave me a mini goal to get home in 90. I had poor control on effort and I felt my form collapse on hills. I chanted some crap from Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence out loud to myself to pass the time, why, I have no idea. It felt like a long run! I just about got home in 90 minutes when my legs were starting to give out.

Aerobic Swim
    Cross training day. Intended a swim, row and yoga. However woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. Mind in overdrive. I was up anyway so took my time getting organised and had a coffee and a banana with peanut butter spread on and honey drizzled over. I've converted to a new peanut butter from Peanut Butter & Co from New York. 99.5% peanuts and nothing added :) I digress. The swim was a straight 3,000m easy.

Metrics
    Average Pace 1:42 - I have ambitions of a 10k swim and this pace would get a sub 3. I'd have struggled to do another km this morning so another 7 :eek:??
    Its a metric I'll use to see if I can maintain the pace as I progress distance in the new year.

SPL - strokes per length (50m) 19 strokes average (19 cycles so 38 actual strokes). Not the worst but I was passed by the waterpolo fish about 10 times and he was holding 30 strokes per length :eek: We chatted about metrics afterwards and this is one to monitor too. Ideally you don't want your stroke to be shortening as the swim goes on so an even 38 would be better that starting at 36 and finishing at 42.

SPM - strokes per minute. I watched some swim smooth videos of leading PRO IM females. At their "all day" pace they were at 58spm. I averaged 44 spm in the pool. Waterpolo fish disregards this metric as you spend 3-5m of each 50m gliding.

SWOLF - the number of strokes you take + seconds per length. I averaged 70, 19 strokes + 51 seconds. I'll disregard this metric as I count my strokes as 38 so this just puts me off, plus the garmin measures this as an actual efficiency score too.

Efficiency - average 35.54 for the 3,000m. It based on a similar calculation relative to 25m but its an easy metric to guauge, lower is better.

In summary - pace, stroke count and efficiency will be used to monitor the aerobic swim progress, or lack thereof

I was wrecked after work and knew that if I did a row and yoga I'd be home late, eat late, sleep late and probably miss the swim in the morning. I prioritised the swim and bailed on the cross training :(

Short very easy run
    An all out effort of my own cross train mash up challenge left my Glutes in bits the last 2 days. Typical A type personality on overdrive. 11.5km at a shade over 5 minute pace. I could barely jog to start. It loosened by the end but I also had a dodgy tummy and needed a quick dive into a leafy ditch. Not many of them in suburbia that are not in someone's front garden too. All in all a very unpleasant run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Assuming you start each swim lap with the same arm, that means for every 100 meters you take 20 strokes with your lead arm and 18 strokes with your non-lead arm. Just thought I'd give you something else to worry about at 4am. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey shotgun, good luck with all the targets, this log will be diverse and most interesting! I like how you like to mix it up, I think these adventure races and the ultra is great cross training and should make you seriously robust (provided the yoga is kept up). It'll be interesting to see how you go in GFW, you will be very close to a podium there I'd say.

New Weekly Objectives
    2-3 swims
    6 runs - similar to last week but with a long run and 80km total target
    2 Yoga sessions
    Do my own 15 minute mash up challenge to see if its doable in the time
    Maybe do BTH's zumba challenge

Actual :(
    1 swim - 3km
    5 runs - 65.3km
    S&C - 50 minutes
    Weight Check: 78.8kg up 0.4

Way short of intended :( Mainly down to work pressure (excuse) and 2 niggles (non excuse). Work basically drained me mentally and poor sleep also meant I just didn't get out of bed for swims. The running was going ok until I strained my right glute. Not badly but enough to consider a 2 hour long run a risky idea. The short run yesterday told me that it was more that just DOMS. Instead I hooked up with Caz's run buddy as she called in sick and did 8km at a very easy 5:15 pace around the town. It was positively miserable conditions. 7 weeks of base training left. I really have to pull the finger out and get stuck in. The other niggle to watch is the right shoulder

New Weekly Objectives
    3 swims - 1 group, 1 tech +work, 1 aerobic
    6 runs - 3 base, 1 long, 1 easy, 1 session - min 80km
    S&C - 2 hours inc yoga, row, zumba, cals, stretching

@DD - I have to get swim fit again before I can swim AND think and the same time!
    @EL D - I don't know about GFW dude. All the AR heads show up for that one and they are all strong runner/bikers as well as savage hill runners. Yep the intention is to have some fun next year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Short Easy Run
    I'm digesting the P&D book but flicking through the plans it looks as though I'll use the bones of the 55-70mpw plan. It has precious all speed work though so that's one area where I'll change it up a little. The 18 week plan will start in January after 8 weeks base and I'll split it something like 8 week speed/10 week specific marathon. I'd look to do a 10k or 10 mile towards the latter end of the 8 week block and another 10k and/or half marathon in the 10 week block. It all depends on available races. Apart from that I'll incorporate some hillwork, swims and cross training.
    I have found that the plans have sufficient speed-work for marathon goals (i.e. the tempo runs at tempo pace, and the 600-1,600m intervals at 5k pace). Where I really found the plans lacking was in marathon pace mileage (which you wouldn't really describe as speed-work, but more simulation type training). I find the 5k intervals give you enough speed (when compared to your marathon pace) while the tempo runs give you a solid speed-endurance boost. So much so, that I've been all but guaranteed a 5k/10k/10 mile PB, every time I have followed these plans. So I would increase the frequency/ mileage of the marathon pace sessions, which I reckon would be a better investment towards your sub-3 goal, than adding more speed-work sessions. When you refer to speed-work, are you talking about faster than 5k pace?

Well done on the XC by the way. Sounded like a blast!

Swim Squad
    Loads down but just 3 in the fast lane. The technician and the young wan. I probably weigh the same as the two of them together and I felt suitably bulky and awkward standing red faced by the deck beside them. That's about all I saw of them as they are both sweet swimmers and left me for dead.
    600m warm up
    16*100m off 1:45
    400m easy
    300m fartlek
    200m hard
    100m IM (25 fly, back, breast, free)

3,200m total

The 100s were hard work. I managed approx 1:35s on average but the effort to do so steadily increased. The 4,3,2,1 with the technician then was all done easy until she suggested IM for the last 100. I got through it but almost had a heart attack!

Medium Base Run
    Same as last week except for the weather. It was windy and raining incessantly. Apart from being soaked through, I felt heavy and stiff. 16.52km at 4:41 pace, hr 147, cadence checks every 20 minutes all 168. I struggled to keep my heart rate under the base ceiling and it was futile into the wind or on hills. Consistent but yet to see progress.

I have found that the plans have sufficient speed-work for marathon goals (i.e. the tempo runs at tempo pace, and the 600-1,600m intervals at 5k pace). Where I really found the plans lacking was in marathon pace mileage (which you wouldn't really describe as speed-work, but more simulation type training). I find the 5k intervals give you enough speed (when compared to your marathon pace) while the tempo runs give you a solid speed-endurance boost. So much so, that I've been all but guaranteed a 5k/10k/10 mile PB, every time I have followed these plans. So I would increase the frequency/ mileage of the marathon pace sessions, which I reckon would be a better investment towards your sub-3 goal, than adding more speed-work sessions. When you refer to speed-work, are you talking about faster than 5k pace?

Well done on the XC by the way. Sounded like a blast!

Thanks really enjoyed the off road :) When I said speed work I had VO2 work in mind so yes 5-10k pace. After going over it in detail I tend to agree with you though, it was the lack of VO2 in the first half of the plan that puzzled me...

The intensity over the 18 weeks of the 55-70 schedule. All are embedded within steady or easy runs

1. LT 6km
    2. 10*100m speed strides
    3. LT 6km
    4. 10*100m strides
    5. LT 8km, PMP 16km
    6. 10*100m strides
    7. LT 8km, 10*100 strides
    8. LT 10km
    9. 6*100m strides, PMP 10km
    10. VO2 5*800m, 10*100m strides
    11. LT 11km
    12. VO2 6*600m, 6*100m strides, race
    13. VO2 6*1000m, PMP 23km
    14. VO2 5*600m, 6*100m strides, race
    15. VO2 5*1200m, 8*100m strides
    16. 8*100m strides, 6*100m strides, race
    17. 8*100m strides, 8*100m strides
    18. PMP 3km, 6*100m strides, marathon

Summary
    Weeks 1-9 - 3 PMP runs, 5 LT runs, 1 VO2 session
    Weeks 10-15 - 1 PMP run, 1 LT run, 4 VO2 sessions, 2 races
    Weeks 16-18, race, taper, marathon

When you look at it like that I guess it is plenty of intensity and speedy stuff. I get the logic of this pattern (layer the speed on top of speed endurance) but I will probably opt for some changes.
    1. Do the VO2 in the first 8 week block for speed to hit a 10k race in good shape. Progressive LRs every 2 weeks ending with shorter PMP section
    2. Do more LT stuff in the second 8 week block for speed endurance, embed longer PMP sections in the LRs
    3. Sharper 2 week taper

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Just throwing in my 2 cents on P & D.

I did the up to 55 miles plan.

My view would be similar to Krusty's in that I found there was a real lack of PMP miles. You might not physically need them in the plan but sweet jesus, I think you need to do them for your mental well being.

As Krusty says, there is a good bit of speed work, more than it looks, particularly in the second half of the plan. Tough sessions that really requires you to dig deep to get them done.

But for me, the lack of PMP miles was head wrecking. If I was to do the plan again, which I found great to be fair, I would do more miles at PMP, run them more frequently as Krusty suggest. Even handy sessions like 3 miles at pmp during a long run, just to get the feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

P&D plans are structured according to their own periodisation plan (can't remember the names/order of the phases), but if you want to get the most of the plan, you may be better off following the general strategy. As an alternative approach, would you not consider following a 10k program for 8 weeks (to build speed) and then progress on to a 12 week P&D plan? You may not have enough time available to do this though.

Short run with strides
    Another wet and windy evening. Bring on a drop in temps and some snow and ice! 12.8km easy with 10*approx 100m strides thrown into the middle. P&D says it should be 70m accelerating to full speed and float the rest. I took about a minute between them and was floating for virtually the whole 100m for the last 4 reps. I just felt unfit, heavy (NEED to lay off the crap) and inflexible. All of these can and will be improved before the end of the year. I'm going to plug these strides into the watch for next time too to make sure I'm doing 100m and to see what kind of pace I am hitting. For a finish I was sick of peeling off more drenched gear...

I'm wondering just what and how much intensity I will put into base training. Sure enough 95% of the miles will be no more than base effort but the week needs some spice to keep it interesting. Given the effort 4:45 pace is taking out of me now, I can't fathom how I'll be in shape to do 4:10 pace or so for 42.2km! Still a million miles to go...
    P&D plans are structured according to their own periodisation plan (can't remember the names/order of the phases), but if you want to get the most of the plan, you may be better off following the general strategy. As an alternative approach, would you not consider following a 10k program for 8 weeks (to build speed) and then progress on to a 12 week P&D plan? You may not have enough time available to do this though.
    Cheers KC and Nerraw. The 10k is not a goal race, just a benchmark of progress. The more I consider it the more I guess there is a case for just doing the plan as is since I have never done a marathon plan before. I'm just sceptical about using a plan straight from a book as one size does not fit all. I'll try the LT block followed by the speed block and inject more PMP work and see how that goes. It will be a lot more run focus than I've ever done regardless of the approach. It will be interesting to see if any of the mid range PBs fall as yours did :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Dude a few things.

As you were coached before did you consider been coached for the Marathon?

4.45 pace is fast enough and maybe to fast for Easy runs.

If your Monday run is a recovery run I would think that 19/20k is to long. The 1hr is enough

Do your longs runs at that pace. Weekend runs

Don't get to hung up on each run, have your key workouts everything else just makes up the numbers.

Turn of gadgets on some runs and just enjoy them.

I would start doing some sessions maybe 4, 5 x 1k @ in or around 4.10 pace, this would probably be a Tuesday session and I would continue to some degree.

3 hr will not be a problem to you, and you have plenty of miles in the tank, just me more specific.

Foot note. Not all will be in agreement with me,

Happy to give you some advice if you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I'm wondering just what and how much intensity I will put into base training. Sure enough 95% of the miles will be no more than base effort but the week needs some spice to keep it interesting. Given the effort 4:45 pace is taking out of me now, I can't fathom how I'll be in shape to do 4:10 pace or so for 42.2km! Still a million miles to go...

http://birdhillturkeyrun.com/ ;)

• Advertisement

@Ceepo - I don't think it requires a coach to run sub3. I'll eat my words if I fail :) That doesn't mean I don't agree a coach is ideal.
    Some good tips thanks. Monday run will be mid length and no more. I'll certainly keep the pace low and aim to improve aerobic capacity. 4:45-4:55 pace range and aim to run it at lower effort. Interesting point to keep 1k reps at 4:10 (PMP) kinda pace. It was wrecking my head what to do during the next 6 weeks of base as I build the mileage to hit the marathon plan running. It will give me a bit of a feel for PMP too. I'll limit speedy stuff to 100m-200m strides and keep the rest easy, unless I make it to a club session where I'll just do whatever is on the menu. Ideally I will do RPE runs and off road runs too to keep myself from being a slave to the road and watch.

@RedB - Thanks I'll keep it in mind.

Missed Session
    Planned a medium long base run but didn't get myself out of bed for it. Not bothered about missed sessions at this stage but that will change on Jan 01. I have a whiteboard on the fridge that I use to create a menu for the week. Today was a scrummy spinach and goats cheese risotto. I've also pencilled in "days off crap - 0". Ideally I will write "1" tomorrow and "2" the next day and so on until I can MODERATE!! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement