Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 Muffin Man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Agree with Kurt re build not suiting long distance running and no I don't mean muffin build :). You have a typical rower build with most of your weight up top from years of that training, ye are a big unit:) not really conducive to staying injury free when run volume lifts.
    Saying all that and with a hopeful clear up of injury and smart training I still think a 2:55 is there. Good call today btw, us type A personalities can find it hard to pull the safety cord!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Great to meet you today Mike. We hung on to the bitter end after you left and boy were the last two laps tough. I even ended up spending 20 minutes in the ambulance after a 3:56 finish. Hope your achilles responds to treatment and fair dues to you for driving up and giving it a go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hence the log name :)

Jesus you wouldn't want to be sensitive around here!

@RC . nice to meet you too, after my piss taking you lasted longer than I :o
    @Dory - yes got a t shirt but won't wear it as I didn't finish
    @Krusty - cheers man, you had some run out there today, really well done!
    @Kurt - stickin' up for us cavemen eh ;)

Kurt has a point, I'm naturally built for throwing things more than running long distance:rolleyes: I want the sub 3 marathon but that will be enough for me. I've much more interesting things on my bucket list than that :) Yoga and I will become best friends for the next few weeks that's one thing I'm sure about.

Despite his build, rumour has it, he wussed out of throwing that egg at me. ;)

When we were talking about you behind your back last night :) I mentioned you're not built for the distance running as well. So not surprised to see it pop up here. Doesn't mean it's not possible though.

You missed all the cakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

hard luck Mike, fair play on stopping when you did, it is too easy to keep pushing and doing more damage.

for what is worth I don't think your too big for long distance running, your training was good until that epic run a few weeks back, this was possible just a bit too much too soon.

enjoy the recovery and knock the sub 3 from the bucket list, well within you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hard luck Mike on the run, hope the injury heals up soon and hope to see you at the keeper challenge in 3 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@Kentuckypete - Great run mate. You were grimacing a little (concentrating) when you passed to embark on lap 6. You must have really dug deep. Fair play since you missed a couple of weeks too. If I wasn't injured I'd have stayed with you for as long as I could. It was good to run with you for a few laps.
    @RC - Should have handed you the egg to hurl at me, shame :o Glad I missed the cakes ;)
    @Bennymul, thanks for the vote of confidence man, certainly will not let marathons lie until I crack that sub3 nut
    @Trig1 - That's my immediate short term goal. Its a brute of a hill run though so I won't risk prolonging this injury if I'm not right.

Situation today vindicates the decision. I couldn't run a step if I wanted to. Returning to the swim group in the morning if I get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Smart call Mike. Speedy recovery on the Achilles. How is it today? I hope you hauled ass out of bed for the swim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

Good call Mike, further damage would have been caused for sure. Well done for giving it a go though. No one can ever say you don't always give it your best and try, try, try. It is an admirable quality.

I used to have achilles problems for years and just thought it was something that I'd have to live with. However a bit of rehab from Ciaran McDonagh and rolling it almost every day (only takes 5min) seems to have it sorted. However, I never forget that it is one of main my weakness.

Like you I am not built for distance running. We are roughly the same weight, I used to be very barrel chested but through diet (as layed out in the "racing Weight" book) and ceasing all upper body weights I lost the bulk. I am afraid of long distance running because I know I am not robust enough...yet. I hope to be in the Spring of 2015 for my first marathon. This means I will have about 8 years of running behind me with the last 4 years of 1,000miles+ per year. I hope this natural progression will see me through without serious injury. Anyway I am sure you will work this out and you have plenty to keep you going and you are talented enough to throw your hat at whatever you want-NC OW Champs, NC TT leagues etc.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hard luck on Saturday and well done for making the right decision to pull out when you did. It was great to meet you and maybe our paths will cross at the next shot-put/rowing event;)

PS I thought you looked like a super runner, don't pay any attention to what everyone is saying. Mr Stew is also quite big and beefy on top and he manages just fine;)

Wishing you a speedy recovery, yoga is fantastic for rehab and it's also good for the soul:)

ah the shiney happy people
    @pgibbo - still sore dude, iced it and stretched again tonight. Its going to take some time
    @El D - ever the positive man, thanks man. I've no doubt you have a nice marathon time in you. I figure I just need to be fresh, no cramps and it will be my day
    @marthastew - a celeb on my log, shucks :) Thanks gal, although I'd favour Javelin. Fair play to Mr Stew, he ran a great race himself. Yes I agree Yoga is for the soul...

Busy Day...

Swim
    10*100 off 1:45 in on 87/95/94/92/95/93/93/94/96/93
    1 minute rest
    10*100 off 1:45 in on 91/95/95/94/93/95/94/96/96/95
    1 minute rest
    5*100 off 1:45 in on 94/96/98/98/97
    1 minute rest
    5*100 off 1:45 in on 99/96/96/99/99
    Total 3,000m
    I found this tough. Evident from the times dropping off on the last 2 sets.

Yoga
    30 minutes at lunchtime practising a basic routine I'm going to be instructing. Really enjoyed the peace within a bonkers day at work. Invigorating :)

Row
    20 minutes on the concept 2 erg at 20spm and 1:55.6/500m. Powerhouse of a rowing girl beside me and we synced up nicely for a rock steady effort :D Good piece but tiring. I haven't been on the machine in ages.

Weights
    40 minutes upper body stuff
    Bench press 60kg - 10, 10, 70kg - 6, 6
    DB row with 25kg db - 10, 10, 10, 10
    Wide grip lat pull down 55kg - 10, 10, 10, 10
    Tricep extension 25kg - 10, 10, 10, 10
    Leg raises 20, 20
    Ab crunches 20, 20
    I haven't done weights in years so this worked the body nicely without killing myself with too heavy weights too soon. The gym was packed with all sorts. Still gets my goat when I see such poor technique in gyms... :rolleyes:

Swim
    3*400 with jelly arms! Had zero power after the gym. Managed 7:20, 7:07, 6:51. Shoulders hannnnging off me!

Bike
    27km on the mountain bike commuting at steady state effort.

Frickin' starvin' when I arrived home...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^^^ How???????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Busy Day...

Swim
    10*100 off 1:45 in on 87/95/94/92/95/93/93/94/96/93
    1 minute rest
    10*100 off 1:45 in on 91/95/95/94/93/95/94/96/96/95
    1 minute rest
    5*100 off 1:45 in on 94/96/98/98/97
    1 minute rest
    5*100 off 1:45 in on 99/96/96/99/99
    Total 3,000m
    I found this tough. Evident from the times dropping off on the last 2 sets.

Yoga
    30 minutes at lunchtime practising a basic routine I'm going to be instructing. Really enjoyed the peace within a bonkers day at work. Invigorating :)

Row
    20 minutes on the concept 2 erg at 20spm and 1:55.6/500m. Powerhouse of a rowing girl beside me and we synced up nicely for a rock steady effort :D Good piece but tiring. I haven't been on the machine in ages.

Weights
    40 minutes upper body stuff
    Bench press 60kg - 10, 10, 70kg - 6, 6
    DB row with 25kg db - 10, 10, 10, 10
    Wide grip lat pull down 55kg - 10, 10, 10, 10
    Tricep extension 25kg - 10, 10, 10, 10
    Leg raises 20, 20
    Ab crunches 20, 20
    I haven't done weights in years so this worked the body nicely without killing myself with too heavy weights too soon. The gym was packed with all sorts. Still gets my goat when I see such poor technique in gyms... :rolleyes:

Swim
    3*400 with jelly arms! Had zero power after the gym. Managed 7:20, 7:07, 6:51. Shoulders hannnnging off me!

Bike
    27km on the mountain bike commuting at steady state effort.

Frickin' starvin' when I arrived home...

was all that in one day????????? how have you so much time? :eek:
    all that training must have at least taken 4-5hrs- did you shower after each session?? :D you'll be stiff in the morn after the weights!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Rome wasn't built in one day!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Be careful....the intensity is reminiscent of something....it's on the tip of my tongue...hmmm.....oh, that's right - burnout and injury. Pace. Your. Self. And have some pie...or cake...or ice cream....;)

I hear he hasn't been around today because the only part of his body that isn't suffering from intense DOMS is the tip of his nose, so typing is difficult.

Or maybe he's eating cake.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Or maybe he's eating cake.
    You wish.

(It would likely need to be pureed)

LOL yes I have upper body DOMs :D Chest, shoulders and lower back all nicely hit! Not unexpected mind. In fairness it was a morning swim, lunchtime yoga and gym in the evening with some pedalling in between. No cake. Just swallowed a homemade tasty burger in a toasted bun with the works, delicious.

Swim
    2,000 fartlek as 100 easy/100 hard *10 no rest
    Completed in 32:36 with hard 100s in on 84/88/82/85/84/87/88/88/89/88
    Upper body pretty stiff to start so this was very hard work. I tend to go out too hard so the back 50 is swimming uphill. I was gasping on the last few easy lengths. Torpedo was in doing her thing before hitting the deck to put her little superstars through their paces. She barely acknowledged me this time, partly as she was on the clock doing fly and perhaps because I'm not worthy 'cause I don't tumble turn :o Mucked about with shotgun junior afterwards mostly underwater. He wanted me to throw him as usual but I had no strength left. Some yoga in a while to stretch out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

because I'm not worthy 'cause I don't tumble turn

We touch-turners are the like the lads who appear at running races in GAA gear... not worthy at all! Are you going to do something about your tumbles? I've been practising a bit- still crap at it (and slower than touch's), but the odd time something goes right and you feel the fluidity of the whole thing...

(PS Awesome work the past couple of days!)

Haha I remember Dory doing a swim in her backyard summer pool in a t shirt. I might just rock up to the Arena some morning in a tattered rowing suit and lash into one :D

Yes tomorrow's swim will be a day off the clock, no intensity and tumble turn practice!

Edit: that wasn't a comparison to Dory in any respect, our resident swim queen. Swimming in a tee is just something proper swimmers do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

He wanted me to throw him as usual but I had no strength left

The ravages of time and old age in addition to the swim session I guess ;)

• Advertisement

Ah now, I might have a hefty birthday set to do in a couple of weeks to embrace a new AG but I'm not over the hill yet...

Easier day today.
    Short tech swim with plenty of drills
    Yoga at work at lunch with company
    Pressure cooker at work lead to a need for a short sprint home on the mountain bike fat tyres. I've done this all out effort a few times. Best max efforts for the 2.2km with all green lights, 4:11, then 4:10. The latter was a fair bit of pain for just a 4 minute sprint. Had a slight chilly easterly tail wind for the first half and got up a head of steam. The hill hurt but the turn into the wind for the last 800m was pure teeth clenching lactic city. Skidded to a halt at the front door in 3:59 :D Caz was not too impressed to arrive a minute later to find me sucking on the inhaler. Pointless of course but served its purpose to shake off the stress.

I'm missing running and gaining weight by the day

Heaviest weigh in since I started running - 81.7kg
    Achilles still sore. Not all the time but enough gentle reminders to dissuade me from ignoring it and joining the rest of the fair weather runners. Still very annoying.

General plan for the week.
    Swim, gym, hopefully get a cycle in and stop comfort eating!

Keeper Challenge is in 2 weeks, the one where I crashed last year. Would love to do it even at a leisurely pace...

Limerick is probably out. Well as an A goal anyway. Assuming this does heal eventually Dublin may be a more realistic target.

Sub3 swim still very much an A goal. Got to keep the faith...

Awww....I hate this for you! Chin up....and I'll send you all the positive mojo I have to help you through. :)

Sub3 swim still very much an A goal. Got to keep the faith...

And a much more suitable, interesting, delicious goal too. Think of the races you'll have leading up to it. Think of the stroke gains you'll make. Think of the OW training this summer. And you can begin training for it immediately, achilles or not. Go for it! You can always knock out Dublin in Oct, when the OW season is over.

Swim squad
    Reacquainted myself with the early group again and straight in behind DaveR1 for the main set. The pace was the same as last time I was down. 2.4k of CSS intensity work done and I was goosed. I was dropped on the last couple of 200s. It seemed a 33 minute 10k yesterday took nothing out of his kick :cool:

Short bike and swim
    Last week when I sat on the bike my Achilles hurt. It felt ok tonight. I was just biding time until a rower became free but I also had a headache and the gym was doing my head in. Instead I hit the pool doing just enough to cross the bronze SBR mark ahead of Fazz (probably recovering from his duathlon podium!) :). Mad to try a short run but I'll give it a couple of more days.

Short swim including 400m TT
    There were a few in the lane to negotiate but all reasonable swimmers. I did an easy km to warm up with the pull buoy for some. The lane was clockwise today so that meant clumsy turns at the wall for me as I prefer to grab the deck with my left hand. Just a habit as all morning swims are usually anticlockwise. The last TT (5:41) was a real honest Max effort so I set my sights on squeezing another second out.

I usually belt off and take 10 or more strokes on the first breath. This time it was a slower more controlled start breathing every 3 straight away. The plan was to not lose the head for 200 then push. An 84 followed by an 85 gave me 2:49 at half way. It was the only time I glanced at the clock before the end. I was breathing heavily and starting to burn up but on target. I really attacked the next 50 with a higher turnover and the oxygen debt began. It really started to hurt on the return 50. An 81 was a real surge but I was on the limit. I didn't know it was that quick at the time but given how much I wanted to finish up at 300 was a sure sign I had given it welly. The last 100 was all about pain..

I wasn't sure but felt I was up on the PB ghost. It was just about hanging on now. I felt like I was giving everything to 350 and the stroke was falling apart. I was breathing every 2 and my lungs felt like they were going to explode. My throat felt closed up and the pain coursed through my body. The last 50 was a dark place. A place I haven't seen since 2k indoor rowing tests. It was simply a battle. I felt my body fill with lead on every stroke dragging me down to the pool floor. I tried to recall some technical point but would forget to breathe. It hurt. It really hurt. I'm not sure exactly how I pushed through it but touched the wall with a final 83 and overall 5:33 for an 8 second PB!

I was wasted. All I could do was drape myself over the lane rope for several minutes until some oxygen found its way back to my lungs and muscles. I was delighted but too jaded to think about it. I did a very easy 200 with the pull buoy before attempting a set of 10*100 off 1:45. I managed 4 before I failed to hit the deck in time...

Very pleased with the PB but I feel that really was the limit with the technique I have.

Well done doll!!! You are one tough stud muffin man. :) So...what's going on with your injury, and what's the outlook on the marathon??

Brilliant swim, well done- your pacing seems perfect, a nice controlled first 100m setting you up nicely. Onwards and upwards Mike, there's a whole chunk of stroke correction time waiting to be taken off. Really looking forward to seeing how you get on in the water this year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Awesome. Absolutely brill well done.
    We may be swimming the same volume but I'm not at that speed that's for sure, and in a 50m with no tumbles!!
    There's a sub 5:30 if you practise them surely next step??

Took me a while but I'm slowly getting tumbles.. Still the odd comical flip and push off thin air losing a couple secs in the process but that's par for the course :)

Fair play Mike. Top class TT effort it sounds... Inspiring for my next one.
    I always go out too hard so need to try the neg split pacing like you nailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've no idea what any of that means but it was a gripping tale nonetheless - well done!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement