Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the taxpayer ultimately have to pay for the Tallaght Hospital overdraft?

• 18-10-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Last week it was reported that Tallaght Hospital was to be extended a 12 million overdraft by AIB because it had overspent its budget.This raises the question, what about next year – will they get another 12million from the state owned bank if they overspend again? If so who will payfor it? If the taxpayer has to pay it then the net effect is that Tallaght Hospital did not play its part in the austerity. This raises another question,if the Tallaght hospital was located in some other part of the country – would it have gotten special treatment or is that only for Dublin based hospitals.

Is Tallaght Hospital realistically likely to make a profitnext year (or ever) to pay AIB back? If not, why on earth would AIB extend such an enormous overdraft to that hospital? What possessed the management at that bank to do such a reckless thing, especially when they are trying so desperately to rebuild their balance sheets to the point where they will not even lend to legitimate businesses that operate in the real world. Are AIB expecting the great white elephant to suddenly sprout wings and fly? If Tallaght hospital can avail of overdrafts – who is to say that every other bit of the public sector will not attempt to do the same when funding is reduced?

Finally – shouldn`t someone tell the troika about this development? Im sure it would be of interest to them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Troika don't care, government just see votes. Everyone else, pays the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Overdrafts are not unique to this hospital.

AFIAK, Sligo Co. Co. have a 10m overdraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hawkeye123 wrote: »

Last week it was reported that Tallaght Hospital was to be extended a 12 million overdraft by AIB because it had overspent its budget.This raises the question, what about next year – will they get another 12million from the state owned bank if they overspend again? If so who will payfor it? If the taxpayer has to pay it then the net effect is that Tallaght Hospital did not play its part in the austerity. This raises another question,if the Tallaght hospital was located in some other part of the country – would it have gotten special treatment or is that only for Dublin based hospitals.

Is Tallaght Hospital realistically likely to make a profitnext year (or ever) to pay AIB back? If not, why on earth would AIB extend such an enormous overdraft to that hospital? What possessed the management at that bank to do such a reckless thing, especially when they are trying so desperately to rebuild their balance sheets to the point where they will not even lend to legitimate businesses that operate in the real world. Are AIB expecting the great white elephant to suddenly sprout wings and fly? If Tallaght hospital can avail of overdrafts – who is to say that every other bit of the public sector will not attempt to do the same when funding is reduced?

Finally – shouldn`t someone tell the troika about this development? Im sure it would be of interest to them.

You talk of the hospital making a profit next year, what do you mean..

And yes... id fully expect the tax payer to pay the bill, I presume the overdraft is to carry them over until their next funding, see it as a means of averaging out their access to funding..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They won't close hospitals just cos they overspend, so simple answer, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Donegal is 12.7 million but seemingly these are figures from 2010 only published recently. What are the current figures like?

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »

And yes... id fully expect the tax payer to pay the bill, I presume the overdraft is to carry them over until their next funding, see it as a means of averaging out their access to funding..

lol until the game is up and they can't pay the overdraft with next years funding...

Then what is the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whenever

NIMAN wrote: »
    They won't close hospitals just cos they overspend, so simple answer, yes.

I'm curious how a hospital with an unrestricted A&E unit can operate to say to within say 5% of a budget. Should hospitals be permitted to go 'off call' for a period to reduce their expenditure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

whenever wrote: »
    I'm curious how a hospital with an unrestricted A&E unit can operate to say to within say 5% of a budget. Should hospitals be permitted to go 'off call' for a period to reduce their expenditure?
    But, sure, if the level of ED attendances was utterly unpredictable they'd have no idea how many staff should be rostered.

And, for what its worth, the number of ED attendances has been falling since 2008. The number in 2011 was lower than the number in 2007; so the demand-led element of hospital service planning isn't growing.

(Table 11 on page 41 of this:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/corporate/annualreport2011.pdf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Why on earth wouldn't the taxpayer pay for the funding of this hospital? Who do you want to pay for it?

Fair enough there are a lot of inefficiencies in some of the hospitals but if we're talking about a state-funded bank providing an overdraft to a hospital then it's not really a situation where we should complain about where revenue is going.

We need a proper health minister who can make hospitals run properly without the need for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

people must pay for hospitals.....one way or the other....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tallaght is a voluntary hospital, not owned by the state (the state will have certain protections as it grant-aided the development of the hospital), so the state won't be paying directly. However, yes, the state will ultimately pay - just like the customers of any business ultimately pay for any overdraft the business has.
    whenever wrote: »
    Actually, it seems that A&E admissions are somewhat predictable, insofar as over a month, you know how much staff and materials you will need. Yes there will be variations, but those variations are tolerable.
    Kurz wrote: »
    We need a proper health minister who can make hospitals run properly without the need for this.
    The position of health minister is a poisoned chalice. There is no magic solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

people must pay for hospitals.....one way or the other....

Yes, that is true but people will wonder how these hospitals seem to be running over budget by so much every year. If they know they can't meet their budgets they need to stand up to the minister and tell him it's just not possible with the systems in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

the net effect is that Tallaght Hospital did not play its part in the austerity.
    Is Tallaght Hospital realistically likely to make a profitnext year (or ever) to pay AIB back?

:rolleyes: Ridiculous post. Since when did public hospitals 'make a profit'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

juan.kerr wrote: »
    In one way, I know what you mean. On the other hand, doesn't the system operate on the basis that 25% of patients will be private.

And, at present, half of those private patients don't pay for the bed, because it may be formally designated as public. Legislation was promised last year to deal with this, but nothing has been done since. If we want to avoid overdrafts for public hospitals, this is a potential source of income which is not being pursued.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/12/14/00230.asp

Written Answers - Hospital Charges

Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Minister for Health (Deputy James Reilly):<...> It is intended to introduce new legislation next year to allow public hospitals to raise charges in respect of all private patients in public hospitals. <...> It is estimated that an additional €200m per annum would arise, for which €75m has been anticipated next year as given the need for legislation, a full year effect will not apply until 2013.

'Profit' may not be the correct word, but they should normally make some sort of surplus, so as to contribute to reserves.

Nobody is asking them to make a profit, breaking even would be nice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

bbam wrote: »

Hello bbam - let me explain. The troika have given guidelines to the government and the government are supposed to apply the necessary austerity. To that end, Tallaght hospital has a budget that it is supposed to adhere to. It hasn`t done so but by some miracle it was given a 12 million euro overdraft by an insolvent bank (which is now owned by the state). That is the context of this thread bbam.

Hello juan.kerr. Assuming the hospital avails of the overdraft which AIB is making available to it - then one would resonably expect the hospital to pay this money back. If the hospital does not make a profit - how will it pay the money back? From the tone of your post I deduce you have issues with the concept of making a profit and while that is a separate matter I would point out that jealousy is a very unhealthy emotion to harbour. Food for thought since the preservation of health is of vital importance in a country in which hospitals squander taxpayers money in such an unsustainable way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭creedp

Hello juan.kerr. Assuming the hospital avails of the overdraft which AIB is making available to it - then one would resonably expect the hospital to pay this money back. If the hospital does not make a profit - how will it pay the money back? From the tone of your post I deduce you have issues with the concept of making a profit and while that is a separate matter I would point out that jealousy is a very unhealthy emotion to harbour. Food for thought since the preservation of health is of vital importance in a country in which hospitals squander taxpayers money in such an unsustainable way.

Simple answer it will pay it back from 2013 and then try and make cuts/savings in 2013 to stay with a reduced 2013 funding base. I'm not sure what jealousy has got to do with anything here! Why does everything have to dissolve into into the public -v- private argument even where it has absolutely no applicability to the discussion!

Public hospital don't make profits - they are not required to build up reserves. They operate within the confines of an annual allocation from the State unless they have a side show providing some private service for which they can generate an income stream and earn a profit from that. Bottom line Tallaght Hospital overspent in 2012 to the tune of €12m. Without the overdraft, the hospital would effectively shut down for the remainder of the year. Bit silly that option given that staff would contine to be paid!

creedp wrote: »
    Simple answer it will pay it back from 2013 and then try and make cuts/savings in 2013 to stay with a reduced 2013 funding base.
    Thank you for answering the initial question asked in this thread. If you are right - Tallaght Hospital will not only have to spend 12 million less next year, it will also have to pay interest on the 12 million it borrowed this year and presumably make a least some nominal contribution toward paying down the 12 million. That will require efficiency! What a culture shock Tallaght Hospital is in for! I`m not saying you are wrong creep - in fact I hope you are right. That said, I still think it is very suspicious that they got this 12 million overdraft from an insolvent state owned bank - a bank that will not even lend to viable profit making businesses which opperate in the real world. Anyone would think someone guaranteed they would get the 12 million back - I wonder who that could be minister O`Reilly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Thread Title: "Will the taxpayer ultimately have to pay for the Tallaght Hospital overdraft?"

Unless business really picks up in the gift shop, of course they will. Who else would?

Public hospital don't make profits
    Note that Tallaght Hospital is a private charity - it isn't owned by the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Probably gets massive funding from it though. I doubt a charity could raise enough money to pay for all of the equitment, let alone all the staff, who are more than likely HSE employees and probably where the majority of overspends are incurred...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭creedp

Victor wrote: »
    Note that Tallaght Hospital is a private charity - it isn't owned by the HSE.

You are correct but it is my understanding that it is almost exclusively funded by the HSE so other than in terms of legal ownership it is by default a publicly funded hospital which is required to remain within its annual allocation from the HSE. As for guaranteeing the overdraft, AIB knows that come January the 2013 funding stream will commence and the O/D will be paid down. I'm sure that's a precondition!

As for guaranteeing the overdraft, AIB knows that come January the 2013 funding stream will commence and the O/D will be paid down. I'm sure that's a precondition!
    I wonder what Tallaght Hospital used as collateral - the hospital perhaps. That sounds like public private partnership in reverse. Still, it is very strange that AIB would give such an enormous overdraft to Tallaght Hospital. A more likely senario is that AIB were guaranteed repayment from the government.

A more likely senario is that AIB were guaranteed repayment from the government.
    This was stated in the news reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

just like the customers of any business ultimately pay for any overdraft the business has.
    obviously not true for private businesses

This was stated in the news reports.

Well then, sinse the state guaranteed the overdraft - it is probable the state will end up paying for it. This is a continuation of past policies - live today pay tomorrow.

Advertisement