Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car licence change in Victoria

Options
  • 19-10-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I was wondering if you can change over Irish car licence to aussie licence? Is there much of a charge? Do you have to have been driving a certain period of time on your Irish licence to be able to do this?
    Looking into it at the mo so any help would be appreciated,please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Yes you can. It's a relatively easy thing to do. I think when I done it it was $47 for a three year licence, you just call them up and make an appointment. I believe you have to have had your Irish FULL licence for a minimum period but I am not sure what this is. Check Vic Roads website.

Unless you really need to I would avoid changing over though as you will then attract de merit points (penalty points) which you wouldn't attract on an Irish licence but presumably you would have to pay the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Yes you can. It's a relatively easy thing to do. I think when I done it it was $47 for a three year licence, you just call them up and make an appointment. I believe you have to have had your Irish FULL licence for a minimum period but I am not sure what this is. Check Vic Roads website.

Unless you really need to I would avoid changing over though as you will then attract de merit points (penalty points) which you wouldn't attract on an Irish licence but presumably you would have to pay the fine.
    You still get points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

As Zambia said you still get points on an Irish licence (it's added to the person who is registered to the car) if they switch over to an Australian licence those points are added to the new licence.

A friend of mine found this out the hard way, he switched over and had accumulated 10points.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zambia wrote: »
    You still get points.

myth-busted.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Zambia wrote: »
    You still get points.

Seriously I had no idea, how do they even administer that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Points goes to the registered driver of the car. You can be disqualified (or your right to drive revoked) too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Seriously I had no idea, how do they even administer that?

Basically the pionts are against you your name and DOB. They create a licence for you when you receive your pionts
    When would my authority to drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence be suspended?

Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence will be suspended if you have:
    • not paid any fines imposed on you by a court
    • accumulated an excess number of demerit points on your traffic history
    • been convicted of driving at more than 40 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭bigroad

They do the very same here in Ireland .Its called a ghost licence .

Advertisement