Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2013 to be a 2 year program

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonto86 wrote: »
    So the 2013 program is to have 7500 places, rising to 10, 000 in 2014

Also from 2013 it''ll be a 2 year program. This will probably mean anyone here already on their 1 year visa will be granted a 2 year one as their second..... works out awesome for me!

Link http://www.workpermit.com/news/2012-10-10/canadian-minister-announces-more-working-holiday-visas-for-irish

I am not sure about that. They state that with the new 2yr visas you'll only be allowed to apply once - as in 1 two year visa (rather than 2 one year visas as it is now) so you are not getting any more time, it is just more streamlined in that there is no need to re-apply and go through the rigmarole again. However I wonder then will they only grant a 1 year visa to those who apply to the IEC for their second visa this January? As otherwise you'd be getting 3 years in Canada which is more than anyone else would get. I'd watch that if I were you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

hdowney wrote: »

I am not sure about that. They state that with the new 2yr visas you'll only be allowed to apply once - as in 1 two year visa (rather than 2 one year visas as it is now) so you are not getting any more time, it is just more streamlined in that there is no need to re-apply and go through the rigmarole again. However I wonder then will they only grant a 1 year visa to those who apply to the IEC for their second visa this January? As otherwise you'd be getting 3 years in Canada which is more than anyone else would get. I'd watch that if I were you

I did think about this, something similar happened before and the people that year we're allowed the 3. They may just grant me a 1 year visa but I find it unlikely that they'll run a different program for just a few people.

For anyone applying fresh this year it'll mean you won't have to go through the hassle of applying a second time from Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea that will be the brilliant thing. You can apply, get your visa, go over and do your two years, possibly deciding to settle there and get the ball rolling on that without having to re-apply for the IEC after a year. I think that makes sense :)

Well I hope they let you have the two years (even though I'd be mega jealous!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 noodle24

Hi, I am going in January having received LOI this year. Does anyone know if this means my visa will be for two years automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭seamus1980

noodle24 wrote: »
    Hi, I am going in January having received LOI this year. Does anyone know if this means my visa will be for two years automatically?
    Yea i would like to know this also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Yea i would like to know this also

No. Ye both have a 1 year visa.

The good news is you are eligable to apply for the new 2 year visa to use after your 1 year one, totaling 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kev33

Whats the situation for someone who is currently on a 1 year IEC visa from 2012( which is up in may 2013) and who also participated in the 2010 Working holiday visa. Does that mean the 2013 program is not available to them or what cause im not sure if they count the old visa system that was in place before the IEC was out at all. Some of there statements are a bit like riddles in relation to eligibility etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

kev33 wrote: »
    Whats the situation for someone who is currently on a 1 year IEC visa from 2012( which is up in may 2013) and who also participated in the 2010 Working holiday visa. Does that mean the 2013 program is not available to them or what cause im not sure if they count the old visa system that was in place before the IEC was out at all. Some of there statements are a bit like riddles in relation to eligibility etc.

They count the Usit visa as one so not available to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

kev33 wrote: »

Let me try simplify it.

Done 24 months total on old system including usit - Not eligible
    Done 12 months on old system - Eligible for further 24 months.
    Never applied for an IEC Visa - eligible for one 24 month term.

Advertisement