Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTC Chimera Arriving soon!

• 19-10-2012 5:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Just finished ordering and paying for 2 of these new mosfet units:)

Should be on my doorstep in about 10 days.

As soon as they arrive I will get one fitted into one of my projects and let you know how it performs:D

FLTAirsoft has a review of the unit here (shows what is in the box and he discusses some of the functions)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxHAMJQdx54

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

A quick update.

The units have been in Ireland for 2 days now.
    Unfortunately customs have them:rolleyes:

Hopefully they will be with me in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭darren ff

Rooky1 wrote: »
    A quick update.

The units have been in Ireland for 2 days now.
    Unfortunately customs have them:rolleyes:

Hopefully they will be with me in the next couple of days.
    Ah the auld customs chestnut!!, hope they make it to your door soon. Cheers for the work on the Masada , it's a blinding bit of kit ( sorry it took so long to thank you),no time like the present- thanks Carl!!

No bother at all:-)

Just checked the tracking again and they have been released and are in Mullingar:-)
    So they should be at my house tomorrow.
    Unfortunately I'm not home until Saturday:-(

Quick edit: They have arrived with a bill of €30 for duty and charges:-(

And here they are:D
    3B7FDD00-3BBE-4EB3-9D43-81EADB289CE4-2097-000002337F215959.jpg

And the contents;
    D9B9622E-B79B-4431-91B6-EB2F6BEBFDFA-2097-0000023387D40173.jpg

The main unit;
    596BB76E-032B-413E-8059-0E0CF6931B7D-2097-000002339122B407.jpg

Size comparison;
    3CA28B47-F867-4185-8B6B-16B76EDD6840-2097-000002339E51DDC4.jpg
    C564587F-0793-43E8-B250-BF7BB2C70F14-2097-00000233A853C3B4.jpg

This unit is being fitted to a King Arms SR16 E3. I like the ambi controls.
    This pic shows the switch unit fitted into the KA shell;
    F6C974B1-96DE-4ADD-B1DD-2388AC35169D-3274-0000030938764DC7.jpg

Thats all for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Is there any soldering required?

Look forward to seeing how long these hold up, just need one for a version 3....

• Advertisement

Not really any soldering needed.
    Just trim the wires too the desired length and connections screw into the units terminals.
    Personally I don't like just screwing plain cable in, so I will be tinning them and then screwing them in.
    The two wire sets that plug into the trigger board are very thin, so I will be using a glue gel too keep them in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

would you know if it would fit in the top receiver of an ak ?

damagegt wrote: »
    would you know if it would fit in the top receiver of an ak ?

The unit itself would fit, but the trigger switch is only for a version 2 gearbox at the minute. There is a version 3 trigger switch on the way apparently:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Have you had a chance to test the unit yet Rooky? If so, how does it fare as compared to the Raptor? Also, did customs take their slice or where you lucky this time? I've mine on pre-order with a UK seller for nearly 3 weeks now and no word of arrival yet. Probably end up purchasing from the States myself.

Customs took there slice alright, €30!

The Raptor is easier too fit, but I think the Chimera will be more reliable.
    It should be able to dissipate the heat better due to the main unit being outside the GB.
    There are a lot more functions with the Chimera over the Raptor.
    For me I would have preferred too remove the ARL and the Trigger Stop as per the ASCU. I might try it after I have run a few thousand rounds through this unit.
    The only thing I don't like is the elongated selector plate spring. It would of been better if they could of done away with that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

That stupid extended spring has had me scouring the floor with a magnet more times than I care to admit.

Too true. Those springs shoot off with some pace! Luckily the unit comes with 2 of them:-)
    Many a time I have been crawling around trying to find where they land!!

I fit the Chimera into a King Arms SR16 E3. (I like the ambi controls)

5B7CAE1D-6BA1-4116-813B-3AFAB5811D74-5273-00000484DE51BB7E.jpg

The main unit fits into the stock tube. I will say that the supplied cables are very stiff and I found them slightly too thick to fit easily into the screw terminals. I soldered onto the main cables a single hard strand of copper cable (1.5mm) and these fit perfectly.
    It comes with two battery cables (mini tamiya and deans) that you trim too your desired length. I didn't use these but made my own up with silicone cable and a deans connector.

BC8A2F60-3059-49B7-B629-43D96F2773A3-5273-00000484D5C9255F.jpg

The KA gearbox is running a set of Classic Army hi speed helical gears and a Lonex hi torque motor.
    The unit was straight forward too fit, but due too the two information cables being so delicate I chose too gel glue them in place.

I have tried a couple of different functions and it works perfectly. I have only put a couple of thousand rounds through it so far, so need a bit more testing.
    I will say though there are a lot of trigger pulls too programme what you want it to do, so I find it handier too write down a trigger pull list.

DB9CB3E5-2A64-4991-ACE8-3F5DFE12DC03-5273-00000484E9114F8B.jpg
    (scrawling the pulls and responses down helps me)

Just have to sort the hop now as it isn't quite getting the range I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭darren ff

Looks like your tea is gone cold Carl , but worth it to get the chimera fitted:D

Lol!!
    Always the way.

A small update.

I haven't had too much time to go back to this project due to other Airsoft distractions.
    I was having an issue with battery choice for the Chimera.
    Basically it kept failing on 7.4 lipos. It kept giving a low battery warning. It works perfectly with 11.1's.
    I tried factory resetting the unit but no joy.

After talking to Frank at BTC it turns out that the first batch of Chimeras were programmed with a low battery warning shut off at 6v. He says that with 7.4s being so close they are not an ideal power source. He goes on to say that the later batches were programmed with a 4v cut off instead.

Now you can send the units back to have the programming changed or you can just use an 11.1 and use the ROF reduction function.
    (I actually run one if my Trigger Master III set ups this way with no issues).

I received a Chimera for V3 gearbox last week.
    I will be building a G36 gearbox with this in it.
    As the V2 it is very well packaged and put together extremely well.
    (They are physically the nicest looking mosfet unit out there)

Will up date this thread as soon as it is up and running.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

I am waiting for Spectre :)

There is a software upgrade and a new trigger board out for the Chimera:-)
    Even better news it gets rid of the cut off lever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Can I ask where you ordered the v3 from Rooky ?

• Advertisement

damagegt wrote: »
    Can I ask where you ordered the v3 from Rooky ?

I ordered from one of the guys on one if the American forums (AirsoftMechanics). I was emailing him last night and he hasn't any left. They don't seem to be available at the minute probably due to the upgraded trigger board just coming out.

Finally got round to fitting the upgraded Chimera and trigger board today:-)

I didn't take pics of the fitting unfortunately.

The main unit went back into the stock tube as it was a software upgrade so all connections were the same as before.

I took the GB apart and removed the trigger lock, ARL, cut off lever and selector spring.
    These parts are no longer needed.
    Please note only remove the ARL if you are using a good quality hi torque motor with neo magnets. You must also have AB turned on and pre cocking turned off.

I removed my original trigger board and fitted the new one. The new one has a small switch that sits under the sector gear. This replaces the cut off lever. Care must be taken when shimming the sector gear.
    Put the GB back together (CA 16:1 helical gears, system a piston, modify cylinder head, ka Teflon cylinder, bearing spring guide and unknown piston head, Lonex motor).
    Now the selector plate is a metal one and needed two layers of insulating tape to allow it to engage the selector switches.
    3C2A864C-C0D5-46BE-AF79-27C37562A1CF-2919-000001765F2E70C7_zps17ee6bde.jpg

I have this set up with no Pre-cocking, AB on, Semi fires semi and Auto fires a 5 shot burst. There are a lot of programming options, but this is what I'm going to run for now.

3B347486-21AE-4C10-9BA0-BCE29B7777D6-2919-000001762F0FAF2B_zpsedf9c0fd.jpg

A short vid of it firing (sounds a bit screechy in the video, but it doesn't in the flesh)
    Click the picture for the video!
    th_2B43CA58-405D-4B4D-90FD-E852C072EE95-2919-00000176E51248BD_zps2cd55489.jpg

Advertisement