Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you arrive in to work later on Friday's?

• 19-10-2012 8:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

I've noticed in the office a lot of people seem to be a few minutes later than usual on a Friday. I despise their tardiness. Are you one of these people who are extra relaxed on a Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I was actually an hour early today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nope, I try get in earlier to leave earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just another working day for me.

I'm on time (or early) and I'm there 'til I get going home. Work weekends too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

nope, im in a great mood of a friday so today i got the 7 oclock train and it had me in work for a quarter past 8. Might get back a small bit of flexi for once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I leave early on a Friday, as does everyone else where I work. So everyone is generally on time.

I think though that the weekend 'mentally starts on Thursday for a lot of people - heavy heads on those walking in late?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

No actually Im up and out the door early first thing..
    to collect my dole :)

In early, leave early
    Am in since 730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

bluewolf wrote: »
    In early, leave early
    Am in since 730

Yep same here, although I usually do this on most days. An early bird of sorts.

Yeah I used to also until I started the ol' evening courses, so I've become used to not coming in til 830-9

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

On the road at 6.40 each day, at my desk for 7.50, out the door at 5.15 except for today which is 3.15 :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

in early leave late some ****ty policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Gauss wrote: »
    I've noticed in the office a lot of people seem to be a few minutes later than usual on a Friday. I despise their tardiness. Are you one of these people who are extra relaxed on a Friday?

Yes, much more relaxed. At the moment, I'm a good 15min away from work & first thing I'll do when I get in is go to the coffeeshop.

Though I work in a place that, for the most part, is more concerned with productivity than clocking hours. & they definitely do better than I do out of me not working to a strict 9-6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm the boss, so its early to arrive (7am) and late to leave (7pm) for me.

Tardiness is never excusable, shows a certain unpleasant character.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

CruelCoin wrote: »

bet you leave early
    abuse your power
    bad man.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm in the same time every day and leave the same time every day. The days eventually blur together so sometimes I forget if I have left and come back or if I was here all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

We have our weekly team meeting on Friday mornings normally, so have to be in for 8ish to prepare.
    Today it was cancelled so decided to try to get in or 9 (normally in for half 8) but still ended up 40mins early. Stupid over-efficient bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Friday is the one day I am NOT late! :D

We have our weekly team meeting on Friday mornings normally, so have to be in for 8ish to prepare.
    Today it was cancelled so decided to try to get in or 9 (normally in for half 8) but still ended up 40mins early. Stupid over-efficient bus.

What kind of a sadist organises a team meeting for first thing on a Friday morning???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Gauss wrote: »

Nope, I come in earlier so I can finish earlier.
    What's the point in coming in late on a Friday? You're only delaying the start of your own weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I notice for some reason the bus takes longer to come in on a Friday morning so I'll be 5-10 minutes later, but am never really late. If the traffic is crap and I'm not in til 9.15 I'll take a shorter lunch, it's all good.

If anything though, I particularly want to be in on good time on Friday so I can get all my work done and make the following Monday that much easier for myself!

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    What kind of a sadist organises a team meeting for first thing on a Friday morning???

Normally there's a lot of client meetings on during the week, so Friday just happened to suit most people. I did hear through the grapevine that we might be moving it to Mondays though (which is worse IMO).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The only reason I came in was to shit out my hangover. I have no TP at home and they don't sell it in the offy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Same time as normal, variances of transport schedules notwithstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Always on time, every day

Normally there's a lot of client meetings on during the week, so Friday just happened to suit most people. I did hear through the grapevine that we might be moving it to Mondays though (which is worse IMO).

No meetings should be scheduled for Friday or Monday morning. People just don't pay attention in them imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm often in 2 or 3 minutes later on a Friday. If I'm going somewhere for the weekend I have to throw things in a bags that morning - too lazy to do it the night before.

If work ever have a problem with me being less than 5 minutes late once every couple of weeks they can go fuk themselves and I'll start making sure to be equally as timely about leaving at 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm a little confused....

To all of the 'I'm always on time/early on Fridays' - what are you doing posting on Boards.ie?

Are you surfing the web during work? Or are you in another timezone? Home sick?

I'd show up on time/early to a job where I just screwed around on the internet :)

UCDVet wrote: »

To all of the 'I'm always on time/early on Fridays' - what are you doing posting on Boards.ie?

I'd show up on time/early to a job where I just screwed around on the internet :)

Code is compiling

omahaid wrote: »

Meh - unless your submitting it to a mainframe; that's really not an excuse. If it takes more than a minute or two there is something wrong with your codebase or compiler.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you have to do a make clean first.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

Doesn't help when the train delayed this morning, but generally yeah , I'm 5 mins late for friday mornings:D

kfallon wrote: »
    No meetings should be scheduled for Friday or Monday morning. People just don't pay attention in them imo

No real alternative when half the team are out and about at different times during the week- leaves us with a relatively small window of opportunity to do it. I'd much rather have it Fri morning than Fri afternoon, when we've all totally tuned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was 9 hours early for my work this morning, pity they didnt tell me they had changed my shift , ... Not amused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

was half an hour late today, dont think anyone noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

No. I always try my best to be on time. I have hours to work and work to do in the hours!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

And if your at work, what has you posting on boards.ie if it confuses you that others are also on here?

Anyway the question was asked, we didn't ask for the "work" police to follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

CruelCoin wrote: »

Working long hours (in an office) is a sign of inefficiency.

yop wrote: »
    And if your at work, what has you posting on boards.ie if it confuses you that others are also on here?

Anyway the question was asked, we didn't ask for the "work" police to follow up.

I'm not at work.

I was specifically asking people who had indicated that they were always at work 'on time' on Fridays what that meant, since they were posting on Boards.ie at a time that would traditionally be during work hours.

I never made any claims about having a job, working on Fridays, or showing up on time or late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I remember something on TV about 'smart buildings'. Apparently Monday is the day most people are late because they programmed the lifts to cater for that.

I don't recall being any later on a Friday than any other day of the week but I have to go back to 1997 as the last time I actually had to work every Friday. Hard to believe it was that long ago when I last worked a five day week.

This thread does almost make me nostalgic about having to be in work five days a week. It's been years since I had a proper job or even a job frankly. Even then I didn't work Fridays. Now when I do occasionally work on that day I have to be there on time otherwise no one goes anywhere.

I think I would die if I had to get a proper job again. I'm unemployable.:D

I'm not at work.

I was specifically asking people who had indicated that they were always at work 'on time' on Fridays what that meant, since they were posting on Boards.ie at a time that would traditionally be during work hours.

I never made any claims about having a job, working on Fridays, or showing up on time or late.

Its hardly illegal to post on boards.ie during work now is it? Regardless, its irrelevant to the thread. We are in on or before time on Friday. Its wonderful, well done us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I'd usually be on time on a Friday although someimtes I may be a few minutes late as I'm a bit more relaxed on a Friday so I tend to enjoy the walk in at a leisurely pace!

I don't mind being that extra few minutes late on a Friday as I know I've put in a lot of work during the week and often stay a bit later.

In the end it all balances out!

yop wrote: »
    Its hardly illegal to post on boards.ie during work now is it? Regardless, its irrelevant to the thread. We are in on or before time on Friday. Its wonderful, well done us.

I never claimed it's illegal to post on boards.ie during work either. It's also not illegal to read the newspaper.

I will make the claim that being 'at' work and doing 'work' are two very different things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I work from Home on Fridays.

1hr 20 min drive to work each way so its fantastic tbh.

People arrive at different times anyway in my place as working times are completely flexible, but Fridays are always quieter around. Usually a few people not in and people are more relaxed with more tea drinking and chatting going on around the place.

I was in at 10 myself which is probably a bit later than normal for me as I usually aim to be in for 9:30 but I was still the first in of the 5 people in my row of desks :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Stuck to the bed this morning... was gonna miss the bus so called a cab.

Was told 5 mins to get to mine (they're around the corner)... they took 25 when i met the driver up the road!!
    To Timmy the radio man at Wilton Cabs, just so you know, you are some muppet (and i'll be calling by later to remind you of that).

Usually the lads at Wilton Cabs are job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Skyflyer1234

In nice and early since 5am here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Confab wrote: »
    Working long hours (in an office) is a sign of inefficiency.

Depends on the Company.

I wouldn't necessarily say that its always an efficency issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I usually arrive into work a bit earlier on a Friday. Today was an exception though, didn't get out of bed until 20 minutes before I was meant to be here cos I didn't sleep well last night!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Come in later, leave later everyday. I can't fathom this being in early business or putting up with coming in earlier to leave earlier.

The workplace isn't going to collapse for the sake of a couple of hours

dfx- wrote: »
    The workplace isn't going to collapse for the sake of a couple of hours

:confused:

We come in earlier so we have a nice longer evening ahead
    If I'm going to get up early anyway, I might as well get up a tad earlier and get it all over with. Plus the traffic is lighter

• Advertisement
Advertisement