Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths

• 19-10-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I may sound a bit bitchy to you, but ah, screw it. I'm going to give you all my opinion/mini rant.

Back in first year for my summer exams, I got a NG in Maths. I got below five percent. Worst in the class, by far. Then around halfway through second year I really started to click with the subject and after a ton of hard work, got an A in the Junior Certificate, OL Maths.

Going into fifth year I felt confident about Maths, seeing as I had scored good results in my Junior. Boy, was I wrong about this BS.

Project Maths is one of the most asinine things that I've come across in my young life. Do I see its worth, or its aim? Absolutely, however, I've been schooled in this subject for a certain way since I was a little kid in Junior Infants, and now, in the final hurdle of school where everything matters the most, they decide to change the rules. :mad:

If they had brought it in for First Years and allowed it work its way up the system to the point where every year was studying it, that would be much more beneficial in my opinion. Rather than just fixating us on Maths for the JC cycle and then twisting it around.

What say you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

I totally agree. I think that project maths is has really ruined the course. All of our Maths teachers in my school whether teaching Higher or Ordinary Level maths are complaining about not getting the course finished in time. We are only on chapter 3 in Book 2 which we started this year. The whole course is ruined and has become much much more complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

We are all in the same boat. I'm in sixth year now. Its hard at the beginning but you slowly get used to it, just keep trying at it, ask loads of questions. Its all more logical now. If you need to start getting grinds, I got them since the start of 5th and they really helped me

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionagotbored

fontdor wrote: »
    We are only on chapter 3 in Book 2 which we started this year.

We're still on the first Chapter and still have to do another Chapter from our old book. There's so much to cover!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

We're still on the first Chapter and still have to do another Chapter from our old book. There's so much to cover!

You are not serious are you? OMG That's way too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I have probably the best Maths teacher in North-East but seriously, Project Maths is a waste of time! Too much effort is needed and more grinds are required as well. Think better Ruari...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

fontdor wrote: »
    All of our Maths teachers in my school whether teaching Higher or Ordinary Level maths are complaining about not getting the course finished in time. We are only on chapter 3 in Book 2 which we started this year.

Same with me. I feel like my teacher's in such a hurry to get through the course, she can't spend much time helping out individual students, making us get lower marks in our tests :/ She also has to speed through the chapters meaning she will only do about one example for each type of sum, if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

At least you weren't a pilot school. Going through it with less materials, erroneous books and an unclarified syllabus is not fun.

But regardless, keep to it. You haven't experienced regular maths, it's just as bad. My sister spent twice as long studying maths as any other subject, to get a B2.

You can hardly complain about what you've never experienced, so just keep working through it. No point ranting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Really?! We've only about 5/6 chapters left to do and were done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Glee_GG wrote: »

Seriously? We have all but 1 chapter from book 2 (doing trig now) and 2 chapters from book 1 to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Glee_GG wrote: »

Ah lawd, please tell me one of those chapters is Probability and Statistics or something crazily long like that. :p

I'm kinda annoyed at the fact that they didn't just start at 1st year instead of letting us do maths one way and then changing it completely for Leaving Cert but sure, we're all in the same boat. Be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Slow Show wrote: »
    Ah lawd, please tell me one of those chapters is Probability and Statistics or something crazily long like that. :p

I'm kinda annoyed at the fact that they didn't just start at 1st year instead of letting us do maths one way and then changing it completely for Leaving Cert but sure, we're all in the same boat. Be grand.

nope :L there only short chapters left like co ordinate geometry of the circle, and all the financial maths, starting integration and then we're finished :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Project maths is one of the greatest failures of the irish state.
    It is stupid and has simple ruined maths!
    They say people dont understand the old maths
    tuff shít. It has f**ked the people up that do understand it

The results last year was fixed.
    Also it was a record low for A1

It should be made illegal !

People are only trying to pull through the course

I love real Mathematics - I live mathematics.
    Project maths is not mathematics

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I could only pick up a revise wise OL Maths paper 1, can you get a no.2 anywhere? or does anybody know where you can get good grinds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I actually like Project Maths..

I think most of the people complaining about it just find higher level maths hard. It's not actually that much more difficult, it just requires a bit more thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

0mega wrote: »

I think most of the people complaining about it just find higher level maths hard. It's not actually that much more difficult, it just requires a bit more thinking.

+1

A lot of people I know attributed the jump in difficulty after JC to Project Maths even though we were doing stuff off the old course (Complex Numbers, though it's on PM we did it in TY out of the old books to start with because there were no books...). I was like...are you kidding??

My biggest beef with it is the books, tbh. Publishers (Gill and Macmillan especially) did very little to notify schools about their rollout plan. Because we started the 2013 course in Sept 2010, we got the two old New Concise Maths, the supplement, and the two new NCPMs. Unsurprisingly the school switched to Text and Tests for the younger years. Much better books and a much better plan for rollout (especially for Higher Level. I love the three smaller books,better way to bridge the few years of an incomplete Project Maths course)

0mega wrote: »

I Love when maths is hard!
    Its challenging . Working out the problems . Thinking of the method is great.
    Projects maths is words. I dont like that
    From a recent test we did ( i think taken from sample paper)

"A football team called "random variable "played twenty matches in good weather and won 16. In bad weather they play 16 and won eight"
    ( for the bad weather , figures are not what were on the above test , just how it was written)

WDF - either picker words or numbers , not both in a question!
    how is the team name important?
    they were asking the question , what was the probability of "random variables" winning ...

like this is why it is stupid.

Dont get me wrong folks , i do know some people just dont understand maths. But is dragging the people who do have a good understanding of maths down.- This is reflected with an all time record low of grade A's for 2012, the first strand of project maths( don't believe me ? the figures are on the SEC website)
    Nobody fail they say , this was ridged! and the bellcurve too! - fact"

One of the questions in the book was , jimmy goes to the carnival , He sees the ( that big wheel )
    when he goes home he decides to plot the graph as seen here--->( a picture was included ( with loads of colour. of course))
    find the equation of the circle

I dont like colour . I love my black and white maths ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Quick question which is unashamedly basic, but I can't find the answer anywhere with the Project Maths website being a disaster zome of uselessness.

Will Project Maths Paper 1 and 2 be examined nationwide in 2013, or is still just going to be in a select number of schools?

Edit: found something that is relatively clear (http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma). Still a bit confused, but seems like others are too so I don't feel too bad. :D

number10a wrote: »
    Quick question which is unashamedly basic, but I can't find the answer anywhere with the Project Maths website being a disaster zome of uselessness.

Will Project Maths Paper 1 and 2 be examined nationwide in 2013, or is still just going to be in a select number of schools?

Edit: found something that is relatively clear (http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma). Still a bit confused, but seems like others are too so I don't feel too bad. :D
    first thing , don't be ashamed in asking NOBODY KNOW , thats what making the change a disgrace.

Right there 6 strands of project maths
    2 were examined last year(june 2012)
    2 more (June 2013)
    2 more (june 2014)

in 2013 , differentiation , integration and complex number will be from the old course
    (sure about differentiation and integration , 90% sure about complex no.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mazahacka

I agree that it would have been much wiser to start introducing project maths in first year rather than when you're in the LC cycle.

Yet Project maths itself is not as bad as one would think on first encounter. I HATED it at first. But now, I kind of begin to appreciate the main idea of it all: to bring in more logic and common sense into the maths exam, more thinking.

But of course some questions are a disgrace alright :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Thanks for your help. :) Would someone be able to recommend a textbook that's being used this year to cover it in one of the normal schools? Or are you just using the regular texbooks and the teaching methods are different? My boyfriend is studying as an external candidate for the LC and he's fine with everything except this Project Maths mess.

• Advertisement

number10a wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. :) Would someone be able to recommend a textbook that's being used this year to cover it in one of the normal schools? Or are you just using the regular texbooks and the teaching methods are different? My boyfriend is studying as an external candidate for the LC and he's fine with everything except this Project Maths mess.

Well i done differentiation out of text and test 4
    the line ,circle and trig out of book 4 strand 1
    prob and stats out of book 5 strand 1
    and integration and complex numbers out of book 6

yea , fúcked up right

Advertisement