Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying mum needs €20,000 to get home

• 19-10-2012 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dying-mum-needs-20000-to-spend-last-weeks-in-poland-3264743.html?start=3
    THE last wish of a young mother who has been diagnosed with leukaemia is that she can fly home so she can die peacefully surrounded by her family.

A major fundraising appeal is under way in Limerick where friends of Marta Salacka (27) are hoping to raise €20,000 to allow her travel home to Poland on a special medical flight.

Mrs Salacka was told earlier this year that she was suffering from leukaemia -- and despite a bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy, she found out in recent days that an aggressive form of cancer has spread.

A fundraiser will be held tonight at Ahane GAA clubhouse in Limerick at 8pm. There is also an online page for donations, at: <snip>

Calling Michael O'Leary... would be a nice puplicity stunt for him for a change instead of the getting peoples backs up.

Anyways gonna make a small donation, very sad story for a young family...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I've asked in the Limerick forum, someone said she is working in Burger King. Surely if she is ok to go and work there for 8-10 hours a day then she could fly on a regular plane.

Would it not be easier for the family to fly to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Melion wrote: »
    I've asked in the Limerick forum, someone said she is working in Burger King. Surely if she is ok to go and work there for 8-10 hours a day then she could fly on a regular plane.

i'm sure she is not currently still working there considering her condition
    bluewolf wrote: »

they did but her dying wish is to go back to the family home

I'm waiting a reply in the Limerick forum as someone said there is a charity box on the counter where she works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Perhaps she plans to be buried there if it comes to this. I don't think she's working anymore either. I donated yesterday after I heard from a friend. May she be at peace and her wish granted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

20k? Is she flying via the moon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

keith16 wrote: »
    20k? Is she flying via the moon?

I'm assuming she needs an air ambulance.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'm assuming she needs an air ambulance.....

I feel like a tit. Note to self, read all details.

Off to donate an amount in proportion to how much of a tit I am. Should cover the flight and have change to get to the moon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i wonder if we would get the same treatment over their :L god im a dickhead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I remember a similar appeal in when I lived Paris some years ago to raise funds for an Irish man living there who wanted to die in Ireland surrounded by family.

It was well supported by Irish, French and people from many other nationalities and the man in question got his dying wish.

I'll make a donation to this appeal as I don't think a few quid is much when compared to knowing what it must be like to face your final days in the lonlieness of a foreign country.

I hope she makes it home.

This is one of those threads where smartarse comments really aren't funny.

• Advertisement

I wasn't being a smartarse in case that was aimed at me - I just thought if she had more chance of seeing her family without having to wait and hope to raise as much as 20k it might be a better option
    But now it's been explained

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Donated this morning, close to 17K now. It's a heartbreaking story tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I wasn't being a smartarse in case that was aimed at me -

Twasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

In the indo this morning, jesus what a sad,sad story. A young boy 4yr old will be left without his mother......

Really makes you think we have no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A very sad story, but surely the Polish Gov should pay the €20k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

NIMAN wrote: »

Would the Irish government pay if it was a Irish person in Poland ? I think not!

Poor family,what a sad story, that poor baby

See if the Irish government would pay for what is technically an elective medical flight for an Irish person... Not likely. Someone mentioned similar pleas abroad where donations were needed & luckily provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

michellie wrote: »
    Would the Irish government pay if it was a Irish person in Poland ? I think not!

Poor family,what a sad story, that poor baby

Nah, they even charge a service fee of 35 euros.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=277#repat
    If You Need To Be Repatriated To Ireland

In very exceptional circumstances, where the health or security of an Irish citizen abroad is at risk and there is no way of dealing with the situation satisfactorily locally, the Department of Foreign Affairs may agree to repatriate the person to Ireland. This will be done at the sole discretion of the Department and subject to strict conditions which will be set out clearly in each case. The conditions include a written undertaking to repay all the expenses incurred as well as a statutory fee of €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

why does she need an special flight?

surely booking the front row of a a ryanair flight would allow her to get the medical equipment on board.

surely booking the front row of a a ryanair flight would allow her to get the medical equipment on board.

No airline would let you fly in that state without a medical cert and no doctor would issue one.

• Advertisement

No airline would let you fly in that state without a medical cert and no doctor would issue one.
    In what state?
    Someone on another forum has said she is still working in Burger King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

excuse the cynic in me, but when the donations go above €20k, what will be done with the rest of the money?

excuse the cynic in me, but when the donations go above €20k, what will be done with the rest of the money?

I'm very cynical of the whole thing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In what state?

Yes she is still employed by Burger King, but it has been quite a while since she has worked a shift.
    Generally when someone has a terminal illness they would be placed on sick leave rather than be expected to sling burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ahlad

saiint wrote: »
    i wonder if we would get the same treatment over their :L god im a dickhead

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

She obviously needs an actual air ambulance if there's a fundraiser to raise 20k being organised.

You can't just remove some seats from a 737 and load her on with the relevant equipment.

Air ambulances are purpose-built for a proper set-up for people who are gravely ill or injured.

In what state?

alot of stuff gets said on the internet... :rolleyes:
    "She only has a matter of weeks if she decided not to do chemo and she only has a matter of months if she does," Ms English said. "If she has the chemo here, she won't be able to fly. Her last wish is to go home to her parents' house in Poland. She won't have the chemo here. The big problem is getting her home -- she needs an air ambulance and it costs €20,000."

Now you could be cynical but i'm sure her family and friends wouldn't go to a national news paper to pull one over on us all for money seeing the circumstances that she is in or maybe i'm being naive?

i'd expect the money to be donated to a cancer charity or the hospital that was treating her but i really dont know

Patients in her condition need to be monitored and medically assisted as flights are very taxing on their weak system. Besides, no airline will accept them due to insurance reasons.

• Advertisement

In what state?

No one said that, they said a donation box is available in BK she (normally) works in. Clearly she is not working there now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Is it just because people are on the internet they feel they can say what they like in regards to this woman's situation? Where do people get off on being such twats.

What's wrong with humanity when we go to such lengths to question the integrity of a dying woman's wish to see her family?

Even if more money is raised than what's needed so what, who cares where it goes as long as end goal is achieved and she gets to die with her family? Besides, maybe it go towards her son who'll be left without a mother.

I hope nobody here (that's a lie) is in the same situation or ever needs to raise funds for something like this or for an operation abroad.

This just reinforces the opinion that AH is full of twats.

Not going to bother reading this forum anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

To clarify, Independent Article states that she needs a special medical flight/air ambulance; her parents have flown over from Poland to be with her; and she has worked in Burger King but doesnt appear to any longer.

Such a sad story, I hope she gets home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

You really should be ashamed of yourself. I'm quite sure the lady and her family didn't take the decision to ask for charity very lightly. The normal reaction of a proper functioning human being with a capacity for empathy is to read the story and feel sad for the lady and her family, not to start trying to generate cynicism and doubt regarding her situation. I hope you take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself why this is your reaction.

davet82 wrote: »

i'd expect the money to be donated to a cancer charity or the hospital that was treating her but i really dont know

People can simply stop donating above 20k if this is of concern. They are nearly there.

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Is it just because people are on the internet they feel they can say what they like in regards to this woman's situation? Where do people get off on being such twats.

What's wrong with humanity when we go to such lengths to question the integrity of a dying woman's wish to see her family?

Even if more money is raised than what's needed so what, who cares where it goes as long as end goal is achieved and she gets to die with her family? Besides, maybe it go towards her son who'll be left without a mother.

I hope nobody here (that's a lie) is in the same situation or ever needs to raise funds for something like this or for an operation abroad.

This just reinforces the opinion that AH is full of twats.

Not going to bother reading this forum anymore.

Easy answer there.

Because a fist won't come out of the screen and punch you in the face.

• Advertisement

Mod

I've snipped the charity link in the OP, this is standard practice. All details, for those who want them, are contained within the news article on independent.ie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can understand the cynicism but I donated anyways. The person in charge of the fund is friends with Marta on FaceBook so she would be known.

They have raised the goal to 25K now. I think they should cap it at 25K. That's not being mean, but it started at 10K, then 20K and now 25K.

Any excess should be donated to an Irish cancer charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Probably charity. And if not - I don't see the problem with some sort of trust fund for the child.

There is an exceptionally good cancer hospice in Limerick, I'd imagine if the rest went to charity it would go there.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I can understand the cynicism but I donated anyways. The person in charge of the fund is friends with Marta on FaceBook so she would be known.

They have raised the goal to 25K now. I think they should cap it at 25K. That's not being mean, but it started at 10K, then 20K and now 25K.

Any excess should be donated to an Irish cancer charity.

They shouldn't have raised it above the ambulance costs I think, but people can just stop donating once this is reached. The 10k goal was before they were given exact quote for the fare.

mhge wrote: »
    People can simply stop donating above 20k if this is of concern. They are nearly there.

i'm not concerned, they could raise a 100k once she gets home, as for the money left over if it went for a holiday for her son or a trust for him then so be it, there is also the question of when she passes too there will be cost involved too but i expect the person running the campaign will donate the left overs to a cancer charity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Now shouldn't we of all people in this country know, that governments do fúck all for their people.

Well done OP for raising this issue, I was totally oblivious. Hopefully those of us who can, will make our own little contribution to her fund.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very sad story :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Donated.

This was on the donate page:
    DEAR AMAZING PEOPLE, I was asked by so many people to increase the goal from 20k to 25k so they don't have to worry about the finances in Poland. So if you still wish to donate please do... This is the last increase!!!!!!! If anyone will be still interested in donating after that I will give Bank Account details. Thank you so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

The guy is going to lose his wife,who gives s **** if they get an extra 10k at least she can relax in Poland and know that he is not lumped with a debt for their child.
    I am sure she would pay 100 times this figure not to have this disease.
    End of the day if they spend it on some nice things for her give the lady a decent few mths and memories for her son this is what matters.
    It's half a TDs expenses after all,not a huge sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Jesus, the poor thing. Such a pretty girl too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I wonder would the 20k be better put towards trying to cure her? This guy was given 9 months by the doctors last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

We are very generous when it comes to this type of heartbreak story and it is sad, €20 donation is nothing really if it makes a difference to someone's life. I hope she gets home and wish her the best.

It's times like this I'm proud to be irish, I'm sure her own country is doing the same fundraising appeal for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

They seem to have raised 22K and are now looking for an extra 3K to pay for expenses in Poland.

At least they've raised enough for the air ambulance. This is from the gofundme dot com page. 1 hour ago:

DEAR AMAZING PEOPLE, I was asked by so many people to increase the goal from 20k to 25k so they don't have to worry about the finances in Poland. So if you still wish to donate please do... This is the last increase!!!!!!! If anyone will be still interested in donating after that I will give Bank Account details. Thank you so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dying-mum-needs-20000-to-spend-last-weeks-in-poland-3264743.html?start=3

Calling Michael O'Leary... would be a nice puplicity stunt for him for a change instead of the getting peoples backs up.

Anyways gonna make a small donation, very sad story for a young family...

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Abi wrote: »
    Jesus, the poor thing. Such a pretty girl too :(

What have her looks got to do with anything?? Would this be less sad if she was ugly?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement