Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with bullying in school.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Talking to the school only does so much.
    Sending letters which have to be entered into the official documentation of the school and leaves a paper trail is far better.

Your parents need to daft up a letter, addressed to the principal with all the time and dates the school has been so far contacted about this issue. Time date type of contact and all the meetings. Put them all in.

Out line in the letter what has been happening to your sister and the effects on her.
    List incidents, what, where, when, who was involved, if your sister is up to it get her to write it up and sign it.

State in the letter that your parent are unhappy with how this has been dealt with and that your sister is not to be taken into meetings with the bullies.

Formally request a copy of the schools anti bullying policy.

State that you are sending a copy of the letter to the board of management.
    Hand a copy of the letter to the school principal in person.

See if you can get your sister to keep a diary, that every day she comes home she writes down what happened and how she felt or she tells you or or parent and you keep a record of it.

Don't let them fob you off, letters to the school make it official in a way they can't ignore and it's a paper trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

At this stage, I would seek legal advice.

And at the risk of a stereotypical Irish response, I would call Joe Duffy also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

move schools, yet another young person was buried this week thanks to bullies and again the school did nothing, my sister would be worth more to me than having some fight that your never going to win with the principle. In an ideal world yes they should acknowledge what is happening and yes they should have proper rules set in place to deal with it but they dont seem to, so continue being the martyr with your sister living a nightmare or do the simple thing and move schools then at least she can maybe have some nice memories of her childhood in later life rather than secondary school being horrific (thats if she gets to adulthood)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sharrow wrote: »
    Formally request a copy of the schools anti bullying policy.
    This is a very important step, given the Principal's strange comments about the school's approach of getting them all together. Look for the policy, and see if they have been sticking to their own policy. I guess they haven't.
    Sharrow wrote: »
    State that you are sending a copy of the letter to the board of management.
    Hand a copy of the letter to the school principal in person.
    Also, speak to the two parents nominees on the Board of Management. Make sure they know what is going on, so that they be prepared when the issue comes up, or they can be prepared to make sure that the issue comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thank you very much, everyone.

My parents have written a letter (registered post, of course) formally requesting a copy of the school's anti-bullying policy, as the principal wouldn't give the parents one when asked verbally.

They're waiting to get a copy of that, then writing to the Board of Management, AFAIK.

If anything else transpires, or if this has a happy ending (hopefully!), I'll report back. Again, thank you all so much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Usually the anti bullying policy is on the school website or in the students homework journal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Usually the anti bullying policy is on the school website or in the students homework journal.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but we can't find it in either, which I found a little odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I am so saddened reading your last post LyndaMcL, I havent checked this thread in a while. Im truly apalled that your poor sister is going through what sounds like hell. Do seek a report from the GP/Hospital that states her her asthma attack was brought on by AVOIDABLE stress. What child deserves such treatment. Id follow it up, but get her out of that school and to somewhere who listens to her and doesnt tolerate bullying.

Advertisement