Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boathouse Restaurant, Oranmore

Options
  • 19-10-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to the new Boathouse restaurant in Oranmore yet? It's in the premises of the old Moorings restaurant. Would be interested in hearing about the menu/food quality/etc from anyone who's been.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

Was wondering the same thing myself!

Judging by the recent advertiser article, it seems like the owners and head chef have a wealth of culinary expertise.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/55895/the-boathouse-seafood-and-grill-opens-on-main-street-oranmore

Can't find a website for the restaurant unfortunately. Would love to see the menu (and prices :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Rudi and Anthony are really good chefs...the food will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

225398.JPG
    Happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

Cheers Amphi :)

Going to give it a go sometime this week... Seafood platter sounds amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

After you've been in there, pop into me for runners to help run the feast off again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Was in last Friday night, fantastic food and great service!
    Pretty much a full house from what i could see also..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Clahae

finlma wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the new Boathouse restaurant in Oranmore yet? It's in the premises of the old Moorings restaurant. Would be interested in hearing about the menu/food quality/etc from anyone who's been.
    Had a lovely meal last Tuesday night and was very impressed. Atmopshere was comfy and warm, about 25 in the restaurant and a good buzz. Food portions were generous and food was delicious. Value was very good and Rudi the owner was very receptive. Only downside was no spirits as yet, so my father couldn't have a brandy with the coffee. Have booked our Christmas dinner / party there and don't think we will be disappointed looking at the corporate menu ;-)
    Nice to see someone giving the place a new lease of life. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tweaky acorn

nice to see the place opened again..
    must give it a try.. it was never the same after anne and michael lynch left.
    its great to see the new owners recreating the nautical theme also

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Ate here a couple of weeks back.
    Steak was beautiful - best I've had in a while.
    Also tasted the duck which was really nice.

Not cheap though ...starters range from about €5 to €13 for the crab.
    Most mains are around €18. Steak was €25.
    A nice treat ...just wouldn't be doing it every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

We ate there last night - absolutely amazing. It was the best meal I've had in Galway for a long, long time.
    Will definitely become a regular haunt for me from now on.
    Given the quality of the food, service and surroundings, I think it was excellent value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

We had a staff Christmas meal there on Friday night and it was absolutely amazing. One the best meals I've ever had. Food was michelin star quality in my view and the service and restaurant itself were top class. I had the Goats Cheese starter and the Pork Belly and Scallops main course. Just fantastic all round. Galway has found itself an absolute little gem with this one. Will definitely be back... that is if I can get a table once the word gets out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kerrywoman1

My friend and i ate here a few nights ago and i agree with the other posters it is a tad expensive but well worth it . I cant wait to go back again.

Was back in there again yesterday for Sunday lunch with my daughter, Place was buzzing at about 2.00 and nice to see children happily accepted, as there was quite a few (all well behaved which was also nice to see.... Including mine..). Also after talking to the waitress I found out that they do lunch up to about 4.30 which is handy... Rudi was as ever attentive and even let my daughter have a sturdy wine glass (with water I might add) to make her feel grown up...
    Had the 3 course menu at €25.90 which I think was great, the goats cheese starter was gorgeous and the fish pie as a main was superb. With all side orders included, (winter vegetable and potates and more if I had wanted) the main course would have been enough as a main meal, seriously good with lovely fish and a lovely fennel cream. Then I succumbed to the creme brulee for desert, which was is good as I have ever had...
    The childrens menu at €7.50 was excellent and their home made tomato sauce is seriously good.
    All in all I think the team there have hit the nail on the head and are providing an excellent package, Its not cheap but its also not providing supermacs or burger king food. Even in todays recessionary times you still pay for what you get and I think theres excellent value here and Im slowly woking my way through to find my favourite table..

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Thanks people for posting reviews. Nearly went in a couple of weeks back but was a bit hesitant due to the pricing, but seems like it is quality stuff so will give it a go over the weekend. There are a few good restaurants in Oranmore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Been there a few times...very overpriced for average food, wouldn't rush back.

detoxkid wrote: »
    Been there a few times...very overpriced for average food, wouldn't rush back.
    Just read ure review and don't quite understand ure comment?? If it's "overpriced for average food" why have you been there a few times??? Prices havnt changed and I believe they are offering an excellent product (which is a breath of fresh air in the village) for reasonable / good value... Have you tried the oxtail cannelloni with lentils at 14 euro... Seriously yummie..... I was amazed at this dish and highly recommend, especially if the pocket is tight....

Clahae wrote: »
    Just read ure review and don't quite understand ure comment?? If it's "overpriced for average food" why have you been there a few times??? Prices havnt changed and I believe they are offering an excellent product (which is a breath of fresh air in the village) for reasonable / good value... Have you tried the oxtail cannelloni with lentils at 14 euro... Seriously yummie..... I was amazed at this dish and highly recommend, especially if the pocket is tight....

I was just thinking the same thing. Not sure why you would keep going back to a place you feel is overpriced and not very good. I've been 3 times and each time I found the food to be of amazing quality, so much better than anything else I've had in Galway in years. The staff were fantastic, the setting and lighting really nice. I thought it was genuinely excellent and very fairly priced.

For example we had staff dinner there for 8 people, everyone had starter, main course, desert, tea/coffee and wine. It was 317e total. Thats less than 40e per person. Absolute bargain if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

the first night we went was the night it opened so we gave it the benefit of the doubt and went again. both times I found the food very average and IMO overpriced for what you get. there were five of us the second time and everyone had the same impression ...a pity as there is clearly a market in oranmore for a really nice place

Thats fair enough. They seem to be getting rave reviews already though from various places:
    http://www.irelands-hidden-gems.com/the-boathouse.html

Rated number 1 in Oranmore already on TripAdvisor after just a few months open. Possibly you were just really unlucky. Opening night is always going to be tough I guess and maybe the other night something just wasn't working??
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212512-d3666507-Reviews-The_Boathouse-Oranmore_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

Just out of interest, what would you consider fair priced? Personally for me, €4.90 for soup, €17.90 for main course Salmon, €23.90 for 10oz Sirloin Steak and €6.50 for Creme Brulee is really good value.

What kind of prices do you normally pay for those kind of dishes on an a la carte evening menu? And where?

Genuinely just interested as I haven't found prices lower than that anywhere around Ireland really in a nice restaurant for evening dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Printer wrote: »
    Thats fair enough. They seem to be getting rave reviews already though from various places:
    http://www.irelands-hidden-gems.com/the-boathouse.html

Rated number 1 in Oranmore already on TripAdvisor after just a few months open. Possibly you were just really unlucky. Opening night is always going to be tough I guess and maybe the other night something just wasn't working??
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212512-d3666507-Reviews-The_Boathouse-Oranmore_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

Just out of interest, what would you consider fair priced? Personally for me, €4.90 for soup, €17.90 for main course Salmon, €23.90 for 10oz Sirloin Steak and €6.50 for Creme Brulee is really good value.

What kind of prices do you normally pay for those kind of dishes on an a la carte evening menu? And where?

Genuinely just interested as I haven't found prices lower than that anywhere around Ireland really in a nice restaurant for evening dining.
    Wow did you study the menu and the prices too?
    sounds more like an advertisement than a post..mods can we get a ban please???

Lol...:-)

on a serious note I was there with a party just before Xmas and parts of the meal were very nice but the main course portion amount and dessert were below par if they are aiming for a restaurant that is competing with the best in the city or at least value for money. I mean who wants Brussels sprouts that were sitting under a grill for 5 mins.

• Advertisement

Yeh fair point, they are new so i guess still ironing out some creases. I got the prices from here:
    http://www.theboathouse.ie/openmenu/a-la-carte-2/

I just found it such a breath of fresh air having somewhere nice to eat in Oranmore. I think its harsh calling it "very overpriced"

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

Had a brandy there last night - €6.95. Won't be back. Rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

U2sir wrote: »
    Had a brandy there last night - €6.95. Won't be back. Rip off.

You obviously dont eat out much or at least have an after dinner drink.

That would be in and around the norm for a Brandy, you also dont say what Brandy or its age. What would you be expecting to pay for a Brandy which is probably ?

Advertisement