Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Radio Fence

• 19-10-2012 11:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a 4 month old Golden Retriever and wish to purchase a radio fence shock collar so she can have the free run of the garden.
    Does anybody have any advice on what brands I should be looking at, Petsafe, Innotek etc?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Lovely, another person wanting to electrocute their dog, surely these threads should be banned (in my opinion), as they are advocating cruelty to your pet!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

andreac wrote: »
    Lovely, another person wanting to electrocute their dog, surely these threads should be banned (in my opinion), as they are advocating cruelty to your pet!! :mad:

Please keep on topic. I asked about Dog Fence vendors not about the moral aspects of using one. And you really don't understand the difference between shocking and electrocuting :rolleyes:. So if you cant answer my question please be on your merry little way andreac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Could you not just make sure your garden is secure? Using normal fencing and equipment that doesnt "shock" your dog?

Edit - It would also probably be more secure that way, as I've heard of dogs that get used to the shock and just bolt straight through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

almighty1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a 4 month old Golden Retriever and wish to purchase a radio fence shock collar so she can have the free run of the garden.
    Does anybody have any advice on what brands I should be looking at, Petsafe, Innotek etc?

Many thanks.

I'd suggest you do a search on previous threads regarding this subject. Shock collars are extremely unpopular with the regular posters on this forum.

Please keep on topic. I asked about Dog Fence vendors not about the moral aspects of using one. And you really don't understand the difference between shocking and electrocuting :rolleyes:. So if you cant answer my question please be on your merry little way andreac.

Theres no difference between an electric shock and electrocuting a dog, its still inflicting unnecessary pain to your pet, why would you want to do that?? Seriously, how anyone could do this to their pet is beyond me, it really is.

How would you feel with one of these around your neck and getting a shock everytime you moved somewhere.

Im really losing faith in people who deem themselves so called pet lovers/owners who purposely set out to hurt their pets!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It really is akin to going out and giving your dog a swift kick everytime it goes somewhere it shouldnt. No one in their right mind would do that, so why a shock collar?

Could you not just make sure your garden is secure? Using normal fencing and equipment that doesnt "shock" your dog?

Edit - It would also probably be more secure that way, as I've heard of dogs that get used to the shock and just bolt straight through.

I've tried. Spent lots on money on fencing and wire. I know there isn't any foolproof system but really I don't want her confined to dog run which IMO is crueler.

My next door neighbour has a King Charles and it only ever needed to be shocked twice. Its even got to a stage now that if it is turned off she wont go near the wire, she has full reign of the garden and is the most pleasant and unnervous (proper word) you could meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Shock collars are not a safe manner of keeping a dog contained. Dogs can and will go through the pain to get at something they really want. Do yourself a favour and invest in proper fencing.

Irrespective of their usefullness I really do hate them.

andreac wrote: »
    Theres no difference between an electric shock and electrocuting a dog, its still inflicting unnecessary pain to your pet, why would you want to do that?? Seriously, how anyone could do this to their pet is beyond me, it really is.

How would you feel with one of these around your neck and getting a shock everytime you moved somewhere.

Im really losing faith in people who deem themselves so called pet lovers/owners who purposely set out to hurt their pets!!

I was hoping this thread wouldn't transcend into this. Surely confining your dog to a run is crueler? Dogs instinctively like to roam and survey their area.

Generally a couple of shocks is all that is required to have the desired affect. Its not that is the dogs is going to get 100+ shocks daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭cena

We brought one of them years ago and I never used it. I would let the brothers use it on my man. I feel its mean to them. You wouldn't like one of them around your neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I bought one of these years ago and there's nothing I regret more. I wasn't effective for half of my dogs, they would regularily run through it even on the highest level. It regularily failed either from power failure or a break in the wire and the box would beep alerting the dogs that the fence was down so they'd all be gone when I got home from work.

So put your money into fencing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was hoping this thread wouldn't transcend into this. Surely confining your dog to a run is crueler? Dogs instinctively like to roam and survey their area.

Your dog will not be able to instinctively roam and survey their area. It will be a nervous wreck waiting to get a shock.
    Generally a couple of shocks is all that is required to have the desired affect. Its not that is the dogs is going to get 100+ shocks daily.

How do you know? Every dog is different. A king charles is a dog that has little or no hunting instincts whereas your golden retriever (clue is in the name;)) will chase small birds/animals/rodents. It could bolt through the boundary and then be too scared to return for fear of getting a shock.

Also your dog is only 4 months old. It's still learning. It WILL become a nervous wreck if you subject it to this at such a young and impressionable age. Dogs that are confused/nervous/anxious can turn aggressive if they cannot figure out what is hurting them. If you insist on getting a radio fence be prepared to see a happy confident puppy change into a dog with a lot of behavioural issues.

How on earth is keeping a dog safe in a run more cruel than shocking your dog and inflicting pain?? Runs dont hurt your dog, they are responsible and safe.
    If your dog is getting the correct exercise and care, then runs are not cruel.

Dogs will roam if they are allowed to, so its up to us owners to be responsible and do the best by our pets, and that doesnt involve physically hurting them.

One shock is one too many for me. I couldnt imagine doing that to my beloved pet :(

[/B]

Your dog will not be able to instinctively roam and survey their area. It will be a nervous wreck waiting to get a shock.

How do you know? Every dog is different. A king charles is a dog that has little or no hunting instincts whereas your golden retriever (clue is in the name;)) will chase small birds/animals/rodents. It could bolt through the boundary and then be too scared to return for fear of getting a shock.

Also your dog is only 4 months old. It's still learning. It WILL become a nervous wreck if you subject it to this at such a young and impressionable age. Dogs that are confused/nervous/anxious can turn aggressive if they cannot figure out what is hurting them. If you insist on getting a radio fence be prepared to see a happy confident puppy change into a dog with a lot of behavioural issues.

Oh sweet jesus where do I start. Firstly you mention that every dog is different and then say they will be a "nervous wreck waiting to get a shock. You mention everything above as its set in stone and in reality its scaremongering drivel.

So does anybody want to actually answer my original question?

Ok mods, please close this thread. I've read enough garbage. I'll buy the cheapest one on ebay.

Ok mods, please close this thread. I've read enough garbage. I'll buy the cheapest one on ebay.

Poor dog :mad:

What did you expect genuine dog lovers to say to you, that its ok to intentionally inflict pain on your dog?? I dont think so.

Some people shouldnt be allowed to own pets!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod note; bearing in mind that the site charter requires that posters are civil to one another, and to attack the post not the poster, several posters here are pushing their luck.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it.
    Do not descend to the petty sniping evident in some posts thus far. This is a first and final warning.
    Do not reply to this part of this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

With mod hat now off, OP, there are some topics which are, by their very nature, inflame posters in this forum. Using any form of shock on a dog is one of them, and so you're unlikely to get people racing forth to recommend any such gear, no matter the brand.
    I'd suggest you look for product reviews on independent review sites, as I don't believe you'll get the info you want here, rather you will, and have already, receive advice suggesting more ethical alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Oh sweet jesus where do I start. Firstly you mention that every dog is different and then say they will be a "nervous wreck waiting to get a shock. You mention everything above as its set in stone and in reality its scaremongering drivel.

So does anybody want to actually answer my original question?

I was answering your statement that started off with 'generally':rolleyes:

It's not scaremongering drivel. All dogs are different. Some will bolt through the fence and refuse to come back. Any breed with a prey drive will overcome the pain barrier to try and catch something.

Some will get a shock and go and run to the furthest part of the garden away from the fence. Afraid of what might happen to them. They're walking along and they hear a beep and suddenly they get a shock. And they've done nothing to deserve it.

I personally know two dogs that turned into nervous wrecks. One is a goldie who is about 18 months old. He now sits in one spot in the garden and is afraid of his life to move for fear of getting a shock. The family have a 6 year old and the dog has attempted to go for the father once so now they're considering getting rid of the dog now they've made a mess of it.

Another dog turned from being a dog from excellent hunting stock to one that was so terrified of the fence it dug a hole under the garden shed and stayed there rather than walking 'instinctively' round his garden.

I doubt you'll find anybody here that will recommend these fences. Any decent trainers, behaviourists will not recommend them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

My Akita has one on since he was 6 months and he is now 3.5yrs old, he has only over gotten 2 shocks and since then once he hears it beep he takes a step back.
    We live opposite sheep farmers and out dog has never escaped and is in no way nervous.

I feel this has kept him safe from harm - he has a full acre to roam on every day about the house and comes in and out of the house as he wants during the day.

Petsafe is the make we got him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

OP, I have to say I know two families who have this installed and it's worked perfectly. One smaller dog, ran through it once, got a low level shock and following that they increased the warning beep to a higher level so he became more aware of his limitations at a safe distance from where he would be shocked. Within about a year they hardly needed to have it on.

In another case they were larger dogs, again I think only two shocks - tbh from what I've heard from certain people who've used them, they're closer to a stinging feeling than a shock for many dogs, and once that happened, they happily marched their perimeters inside the beep warning i.e. totally away from any potential pain. Also, they said it was v important that before walkies, they knew their heavier collar was being taken off and they were being walked back in the gate and were always happy to do so.

In both cases, wearing the collar is enough now and the system is rarely switched on. Perfectly happy, loved and well looked after dogs with lots of space to run around - dogs are smart they know where the boundaries are. They are safe from traffic on the roads and safe from the threat of discovering livestock nearby to worry. And not stuck on a rope some where which I believe is even worse.

It's certainly a controversial topic - but I believe the sting is along the lines of being cruel to be kind. It's provides such safety and if it only happens twice, it's surely similar to say stepping on the dogs tail by mistake, I saw the small dog the day he ran through over it. He yelped once and then he was happy to run straight back through the gate into the house and go straight in for a cuddle. He wasn't cowering for hours or traumatised, he was fine again within a few minutes. Lesson learned. In the houses involved complete fencing wasn't practical and I don't believe one limited dog run is as good either.

Ourselves, we're lucky that our garden is completely fenced in but we've had to cement certain areas around the edges to avoid our fella digging out. Wouldn't be buying a radio system for my dog if I can avoid it, it's not ideal and if you had any other option, I'd certainly try that first. But I can understand why the people I knew did it. It was after a number of very dangerous breakouts - both for the dogs themselves and for motorists on roads and they had to try something and it worked. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

my sister has one on her 7 yr lab cross innotec system,live in the countryside.dont want them going after the sheep....only got out bout 3 times .power failure.hit by lightning.my neighbour behide has one on her lab and small dog. works well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've used the petsafe fence in the past. Both of my dogs could and would brace themselves and take the shock if there was something sufficiently motivating on the other side. I had several heart stopping afternoons of looking for my dogs.
    My system malfunctioned one day, such that no matter where my dogs were in the garden, they got shocked. I won't try to describe what effect that had on my dogs, it upsets me too much. That day ended my use of the system, following on from several escapes and painful incidents, none of this would have happened had I just built a fence. What really drove it home was that my friend, who'd installed the same system at about the same time, had exactly the same thing happen. Horrendous.
    My neighbour had their dog on the system too. Two other dogs waltzed into their garden one day and trapped the resident dog, who would not leave the garden due to the fence. That dog was ripped apart by the two visitors and died later of his injuries. Not a small dog himself, he was a black lab.
    Another ex-neighbour has a Great Dane who got such a fright from his first ever shock, the dog cannot go out in the garden, YEARS later, without almost having a nervous breakdown. Oh, and trying to bite anyone who tries to force him out. I know several owners whose dogs are the same, after just one shock.
    Two other dogs I know have learned to sit just on the periphery, wear down the battery, then head off for a stroll around the neighbourhood. They are two I know personally, I've heard of quite a few more. Indeed, a phone call to any pound in the country will reveal that dogs come in to the pound having been found straying, wearing their radio collars, on a regular basis.
    I have tried the collar on myself a few times, different brands. On my hand, not my neck. It hurt. At best, it was unpleasant. At worst, I thought my heart was going to stop, and I had pain in my hand and chest for hours after at the lowest setting. My ex-landlord had one of my dog's collars in his pocket one day, forgot it was there and walked across the boundary. I heard the roar from inside my house, and went out to find him quite distressed at the fright and strength of the shock.
    Just thought I'd stick these here as real-life events, all of which reflect some common, and I really do mean these are common problems. Not one-offs, isolated events or exceptions. From one who has used the system, but would not any more, for any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

DBB wrote: »
    I've used the petsafe fence in the past. Both of my dogs could and would brace themselves and take the shock if there was something sufficiently motivating on the other side. I had several heart stopping afternoons of looking for my dogs.
    My system malfunctioned one day, such that no matter where my dogs were in the garden, they got shocked. I won't try to describe what effect that had on my dogs, it upsets me too much. That day ended my use of the system, following on from several escapes and painful incidents, none of this would have happened had I just built a fence. What really drove it home was that my friend, who'd installed the same system at about the same time, had exactly the same thing happen. Horrendous.
    My neighbour had their dog on the system too. Two other dogs waltzed into their garden one day and trapped the resident dog, who would not leave the garden due to the fence. That dog was ripped apart by the two visitors and died later of his injuries. Not a small dog himself, he was a black lab.
    Another ex-neighbour has a Great Dane who got such a fright from his first ever shock, the dog cannot go out in the garden, YEARS later, without almost having a nervous breakdown. Oh, and trying to bite anyone who tries to force him out. I know several owners whose dogs are the same, after just one shock.
    Two other dogs I know have learned to sit just on the periphery, wear down the battery, then head off for a stroll around the neighbourhood. They are two I know personally, I've heard of quite a few more. Indeed, a phone call to any pound in the country will reveal that dogs come in to the pound having been found straying, wearing their radio collars, on a regular basis.
    I have tried the collar on myself a few times, different brands. On my hand, not my neck. It hurt. At best, it was unpleasant. At worst, I thought my heart was going to stop, and I had pain in my hand and chest for hours after at the lowest setting. My ex-landlord had one of my dog's collars in his pocket one day, forgot it was there and walked across the boundary. I heard the roar from inside my house, and went out to find him quite distressed at the fright and strength of the shock.
    Just thought I'd stick these here as real-life events, all of which reflect some common, and I really do mean these are common problems. Not one-offs, isolated events or exceptions. From one who has used the system, but would not any more, for any money.

Geez I can't say ive ever heard of cases like that before - but then in the two cases I'm familiar with, they didn't need to leave te system on for too long so the threat of shock was reduced without the dog realising it. Am really telling you of truthful experiences here - a v happy dalmation who despite their bad rep is extremely smart and also a terrier mix. Also, when the dad of the small dog household got it, he tried it on his own risk at a medium level and said it was a sting but that he defo wouldn't be putting it up any higher for a dog of that size (terrier mix). Thanks for the info on the potential malfunctions , ill defo pass it on for them to beware of. Would certainly turn me off the idea for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Geez I can't say ive ever heard of cases like that before

I've had a number of those senarios happen to me when I had mine. 3 braced themselves for the shock to leave the garden, 2 wouldn't come back because they didn't have the same motivation but at least I knew they were getting out, the third one would come back in so I didn't know she was missing (some people will recognise her antics from my various serial-escape-artist-smartar$e dog threads). I ended up putting a 25-40kg collar on her, a 10kg dog in an attempt to keep her in cos the highest setting on her recommended collar didn't keep her in. My husband tried the collar on his arm and let me tell you, he roared and shouted.

My elderly dog at the time got 1 shock and would simply freeze and shut down in the shocking zone getting repeatidly shocked, and let me tell you the screams will be in my memory forever. Any attempt to put a collar on her afterwards would result in her shutting down. A different dog of mine refused to leave the house at all as soon as you put the collar on her.

I volunteer in a rescue center and like DBB said we often get in dogs with collars on them, I live in a fairly rural area and the local shops often have Lost Dog posters in them featuring dogs with shock collars on them. When you have a break in the line you have to follow the entire line and we only had half an acre to do and that is a pain in the rear and takes a nice bit of time. Line failures and power failures made my power box beep and the dogs very quickly got to know that meant the fence wasn't working and they'd all head up (bar the one who would permenantly shut down with the collar on)

I spent over €500 on my system by the time I bought the extra wire and collars, and that money would have gone a long way towards the physical fencing I had to buy in the end.

If you do decide to buy a system just make sure you understand that this is not a fool proof method that will guaranteed to work on all dogs if you follow the training plan. Also ask a neighbour who has the system if you can try out their collar, and actually put it on your neck at a high setting because there is the chance you'll need it, and walk to the boundary and see if you're prepared to put your dog through that even only once or twice.

I had a Petsafe Radio fence and I would not recommend one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My mother often has the neighbours dogs in the garden with their collars on. I dropped them back one day and had removed the collar but as I walked them over the treshhold one of them tried to bite me, the other two squirmed until they got away from me, terrified to go back in.

That woman smirked at me and said "Oh I know people like you don't agree with them but I need something to keep them in" she says as the dogs run down the road. :rolleyes:

And the sickening thing? It had been recommended by a "trainer" in the south east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Whispered wrote: »
    My mother often has the neighbours dogs in the garden with their collars on. I dropped them back one day and had removed the collar but as I walked them over the treshhold one of them tried to bite me, the other two squirmed until they got away from me, terrified to go back in.

That woman smirked at me and said "Oh I know people like you don't agree with them but I need something to keep them in" she says as the dogs run down the road. :rolleyes:

And the sickening thing? It had been recommended by a "trainer" in the south east.

You should take heart that 'people like you' = people with a little empathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<snip>
    Dahamsta, you have just ignored a mod warning only 10 posts up from this, asking that posters remain civil to one another, and to desist from sniping comments.
    As you are a very infrequent user of this forum, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one occasion, and leave this as an on-thread warning.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

I was looking for info similar to the op when I came across this thread. Seems like a lot of arguing going on here that could be taking place in an "animal cruelty" or "ethics of radio fence thread". I will say that any of the dogs I've seen using this system are very happy, much happier than dogs enclosed by fences as the radio fence system generally allows a much greater range of movement than would be econmoically viable for many people if they were using fencing which can be quite expensive. Also dogs don't feel pain the same way as humans, they have a much greater tolerance and forget about it much quicker than we do so the arguement "you wouldn't want a collar round you neck" doesnt really apply. You wouldn't like to have a leash or a muzzle put on you when you go for a walk or eat food off the floor, but obviously we can't apply the same values to humans and dogs. When I first got my dog he used to scratch the patio door constantly trying to get inside so I have him a clout on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Is that cruel? Well it only had to be done once, the dog never did scratched the glass again and he is happy as larry sitting outside the door and understands that if he sits quietly he'll be allowed in eventually. A small jolt from a collar is no more cruel than a clout with a newspaper and I think most dog owners have done this at some stage or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You can buy a Petsafe system (usual system, different collar) that bleeps rather than shocks, then train your dog that once they hear a bleep, they have to turn and walk away. I trained my second dog with this system, it took 2 months of constant training and really took up a lot of my time. During these 2 months the dog could make a mistake and go passed the bleeps but nothing would happen, no shock.

The system worked perfect, I left the dogs out for a few hours everyday for 6 months when the system wasn't even turned on, never once went near the boundaries because they knew were they were so just stayed away.

The problem with these fences is people buy cheap ones and people don't train their dogs on how to use them. Its takes one month for even the smartest dog to learn. This means one month of training them either on a lead or with the system bleeping and no shock setting. A dog should not get a shock while training.

I have a petsafe system, but I wouldn't recommend people buy one, most people don't understand that it takes a lot of training and they just put the collar on and leave the dog to learn by him/herself. I would be more than happy if they were banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement