Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Radio Fence

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

whippet wrote: »
    you are having a go at people who are expressing their opinions and yet you seem to have no problem with telling others that what they do is cruel.

I have a 3/4 acre garden in a rural setting and went out and got proper fencing installed to keep my Lab from roaming, best investment ever, he also will prefer to spend more time in doors with human company .. my wife works from home and he will spend more time lying on the floor beside her in the office than out and about in the garden he had free access to .. why? because company is what most dogs love. I don't know if I read you incorrectly but you are saying that you have a shock collar and the dog is restricted to an hour of contact daily with either humans or any other dog he comes across on a daily walk? ... well that sounds like a lonely existence for any sort of natural pack animal.

Why would anyone want a pet dog when all they want is an hours contact a day?

This is what I will never understand, I see so many dogs on my twice daily walks, just wandering around a huge garden with those collars on, cars outside the house so clearly people are in, what's the point of having a dog? I have 2 medium/large dogs who get walked twice a day and when the weather is remotely warm/sunny I have the patio doors open and they can be inside or outside as they wish, but if the doors are closed they are inside the house, if/when we go out they're inside the house, they're perfectly happy, there's no way either of them would stay outside on their own. There seems to be a real attitude in this country that people are entitled, almost obliged, to have a dog, yet they use such cruel outdated methods of welfare it just saddens and confuses me and the amount of people who still think dogs belong outside, I feel sorry for them, they're missing out on all the benefits you get from sharing a home with your pet.

almighty1 wrote: »
    Well I said 1 walk and 1 hour of contact. You should be able to deduce the rest yourself.

Do you time the 1 hour of human contact? 'That's it, times up, I'm going back inside' type thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

DBB wrote: »
    The ethical alternative is quite simply an appropriate fence or wall. No aversion, no pain, just good old fashioned physical barriers.

Do you think the dog want to get past the wall/fence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I would also like to add that radio fences do not stop people from entering your property and simply taking your dog.

Worth a mention and a think about for the people who do use it and fully value and love their pets.

The fence isn't supposed to keep people outside, just your dog inside the boundary

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Do you time the 1 hour of human contact? 'That's it, times up, I'm going back inside' type thing?

I never said that I said I give my dog 1 hour of contact. You should reread (or even read) my post.

• Advertisement

I would also like to add that radio fences do not stop people from entering your property and simply taking your dog.

Worth a mention and a think about for the people who do use it and fully value and love their pets.

Is that an oxymoron?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The fence isn't supposed to keep people outside, just your dog inside the boundary

I know, I am just clarifying that with all the dogs being stolen from people's gardens these days, that building a solid wall or fence around your garden is becoming a more practical way of protecting your dog.

This is what I will never understand, I see so many dogs on my twice daily walks, just wandering around a huge garden with those collars on, cars outside the house so clearly people are in, what's the point of having a dog? I have 2 medium/large dogs who get walked twice a day and when the weather is remotely warm/sunny I have the patio doors open and they can be inside or outside as they wish, but if the doors are closed they are inside the house, if/when we go out they're inside the house, they're perfectly happy, there's no way either of them would stay outside on their own. There seems to be a real attitude in this country that people are entitled, almost obliged, to have a dog, yet they use such cruel outdated methods of welfare it just saddens and confuses me and the amount of people who still think dogs belong outside, I feel sorry for them, they're missing out on all the benefits you get from sharing a home with your pet.

Sure there would be fecking hair everywhere. You'd be hoovering the whole day. No chance.

Is that an oxymoron?!

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have them and think they are doing the right thing.

Since my dog spends his nights with his head on the pillow under our duvet ensuring that myself and my partner get up to no funny business, I can't in good conscience agree with a radio fence. But then I wouldn't be looking for a cop-out way to be able to leave my dog outside unattended for hours. :rolleyes:

Is that an oxymoron?!

Nope

• Advertisement

I know, I am just clarifying that with all the dogs being stolen from people's gardens these days, that building a solid wall or fence around your garden is becoming a more practical way of protecting your dog.

but for someone who's on the likes of an acre....with cranky neighbours, the building of a wall becomes problematic and expensive. At least with a radio fence you can restrict the dogs to areas like the back garden and not the front without the need for walls everywhere.

I never said that I said I give my dog 1 hour of contact. You should reread (or even read) my post.

Now lets assume dogs were intelligent enough to chose, what would they chose in order of preference (lets assume 1 daily walk, 1 daily hour of human contact)

Sorry, maybe I read it wrong, to me the above implies you give your dog 1 hour of human contact, if that's not what you meant then my apologies.

Since my dog spends his nights with his head on the pillow under our duvet ensuring that myself and my partner get up to no funny business

Ah here. That just taking the animal love-in too much. Disgusting.

I'm outta here, its been entertaining. :D

Ciao!!!

Ciao!!!

I agree, and I thought we were bad allowing ours on the couches in the sitting room :rolleyes:

Nope

Well, it was, but never mind....
    An oxymoron is a figure of speech in which incongruous or seemingly
    contradictory terms appear side by side.

but for someone who's on the likes of an acre....with cranky neighbours, the building of a wall becomes problematic and expensive. At least with a radio fence you can restrict the dogs to areas like the back garden and not the front without the need for walls everywhere.

It does, but as I said with the increasing number of dogs being stolen from gardens these days, a lot of us are taking extra precautions to keep our dogs safe. I was simply stating that the fence will not indefinitely keep a dog in, and is not a valid excuse for just leaving your dog outside unattended.

Well, it was, but never mind....
    An oxymoron is a figure of speech in which incongruous or seemingly
    contradictory terms appear side by side.
    Did you copy/paste from here http://grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/oxymoronterm.htm
    Because its a remarkably similar.......wait ..... identical definition. That truly is coincidental.

I already know what an oxymoron is. However it wasn't applicable in your example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Ah here, get up the garden. A dog stuck in a house for any length of time is cruel. Their instinct is to get up and have to good old sniff around their territory to see whats being going on there overnight. I would not confine a dog to a house under no circumstances.

my dogs stay in the house and have access to the outside via a dog flap They can come and go as they please. Guess where they choose to spend 95% of their time? In the house - regardless of the weather.

my dogs stay in the house and have access to the outside via a dog flap They can come and go as they please. Guess where they choose to spend 95% of their time? In the house - regardless of the weather.

Well I agree that is the best of both worlds but you must admit that not many people can do that with their house. House alarms, security etc

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Can I just ask, what is it that you find so "disgusting" about having a dog in around the house? What prompted you to get one if not to have it as part of your family?

Genuine question, not having a go,

• Advertisement

Did you copy/paste from here http://grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/oxymoronterm.htm
    Because its a remarkably similar.......wait ..... identical definition. That truly is coincidental.

I already know what an oxymoron is. However it wasn't applicable in your example.

Yes I did, what's your point?
    And in my opinion, it was applicable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I thought you said you were out of here almighty1? No?
    Ok, in that case, I'll address the question you asked me, whether I think dogs want to get beyond a wall or fence.
    Firstly, it's a moot point. We are legally obliged, as farmers are, all of us as animal owners, to keep our animals safely contained on our own property, or under effectual control when off our own property.
    But to say what I think, well yes, I have met some dogs who try to escape, some from fenced gardens, and some from radio-fenced gardens. Pretty much all of these dogs have one thing in common: they have not built up a sufficient bond with their home or owner to stay put, and have learned that there are all sorts of divilment they can entertain themselves with out in the world beyond the fence... Not enough for them to do at home I suppose.
    But these dogs are in the minority, as most happy dogs are quite happy to stay at home, never challenging the fence. Why would they if they've enough to be getting on with at home? Plenty of walks, exercise, attention, training, all keep a dog nice and quiet, and bonded to their home and all that's in it.
    When I open my front door, for instance, my dogs might trot outside, but they go no further than a few yards away, because they're more interested in what I'm doing than what's going on outside. My front garden is not fenced at all, they could go wherever they liked. The window cleaner left the side gate open one day, unknownst to me. My dogs went out the gate, looked around, then came straight back to the front door waiting for me to let them in.
    Most dogs in happy homes that I know are like this. They're not interested in escaping at all. So no, I wouldn't think that dogs yearn to escape beyond the boundary as long as they're happy at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cocolola wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what is it that you find so "disgusting" about having a dog in around the house? What prompted you to get one if not to have it as part of your family?

Genuine question, not having a go,

Looks like you are. Poster has said he wouldn't confine a dog to a house - not your paraphrase. Can't people leave others to have differing views on this forum without the repeated nagging from some posters we have seen on this thread. ( not you coka). & telling people to go ask elsewhere because they think everyone has the same opinion? Un*f*ing believable. Bullying .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hi all, just said i'd give my own views on radio fences.
    I've two setters (hardly a sedentary breed!) and I've had a radio fence for the past 6 months.
    I agree that electric shocks are unpleasant and after watching my ape try urinate up against a cattle fence I think he'd be of the same opinion.

I agree 100% with the concept of radio fences from a peace of mind point of view. Since we have had ours set up we can actually let our dogs outside unsupervised (say with a bone or something) and not be in constant fear of something happening (we've had two dogs poisoned already and the radio fence allows us keep the dogs within a safe, cctv monitored boundary).

Sorry but I completely disagree that there's peace of mind. There's always the chance that:

A dog could get a mild shock, bolt through and not come back
    A dog could risk the pain to get at prey on the other side of the fence. And in fairness you have two setters, I know exactly how they react to birds/small furries.
    The batteries could wear down
    There may be a power cut

There's far, far too much risk involved compared to proper fencing/bounderies.

I agree with some of what is posted here already. It is slightly unpleasant for the dog but then again the dog is the equivalent of a child. Are we going to let the dog/child walk all over us and go I WANT A WALK/BICCIE or are we actually going to have a few ground rules. We set the fence up for their benefit as much as ours and I haven't looked back since.

I have ground rules with my two setters, I open the gate, they wait and know they don't go out it. No pain, no shocks, just training.
    From a peace of mind point of view, since installing the fence life has been so much more pleasant for both the dogs and ourselves. They have quite a large boundary to play in where they come to no harm, and we have peace of mind.

Sorry, I really can't agree. Plus setters can be such a nervous breed, it's their fear that is giving you peace of mind. I couldn't reconcile myself to that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Looks like you are. Poster has said he wouldn't confine a dog to a house - not your paraphrase. Can't people leave others to have differing views on this forum without the repeated nagging from some posters we have seen on this thread. ( not you coka). & telling people to go ask elsewhere because they think everyone has the same opinion? Un*f*ing believable. Bullying .

JustAThought, could you please either desist from these continuous on-thread allegations of bullying, or report any posts that you consider to be bullying? Or, bring it to the feedback forum. Either of the latter two processes will allow the mods or the cmods to determine whether there is any justification for your allegations.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Actually he used the term "disgusting" at me, if you read back. So in fact, it is him who will not let people have their own opinion.

Ciao!!!

JustAThought, this is where I got the word disgusting from.

And I'm really not having a go, just trying to understand someone else's thought processes. I'm at home all summer with my dog and despite leaving the door open during the day, he prefers to stay inside with me. I also let him up on the couch and the bed on occasions for a bit of a play so that's why I was asking what Almighty felt was wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cocolola wrote: »
    JustAThought, this is where I got the word disgusting from.

And I'm really not having a go, just trying to understand someone else's thought processes. I'm at home all summer with my dog and despite leaving the door open during the day, he prefers to stay inside with me. I also let him up on the couch and the bed on occasions for a bit of a play so that's why I was asking what Almighty felt was wrong with that.

You are deliberately mixing his comment with something you are inferring he said, which he in fact didn't .

Btw I would be concerned about someone having a dog in bed under the duvet with them & the dogs head under their pillow -from a basic hygiene pov let alone anything else.

O and making a threat/comment & instructing someone not to reply to it - that's bullying too.

You are deliberately mixing his comment with something you are inferring he said, which he in fact didn't .

Btw I would be concerned about someone having a dog in bed under the duvet with them & the dogs head under their pillow -from a basic hygiene pov let alone anything else.

O and making a threat/comment & instructing someone not to reply to it - that's bullying too.

He was inferring that someone giving their dog too much "love-in" was disgusting. As it is each person's own opinion how much love is too much, we are entitled to it. My dog is perfectly clean, probably cleaner than me at some points, and as neither myself or my partner are allergic to dogs or dander, it isn't affecting us in the slightest, and has not for the 8 years I have had my dog.

• Advertisement

You are deliberately mixing his comment with something you are inferring he said, which he in fact didn't.

Ok maybe I'm just not with it today but I'm really confused as to what's going on here?

ShaSha said:
    ...Since my dog spends his nights with his head on the pillow under our duvet...

And then Almighty responded with the quote I posted above? I'm not mixing his comments, they're directly linked to what ShaSha said :confused:

This is why I'm asking, I don't get this assumption that dogs are unhygienic? I've literally lived with dogs (and cats) for the last 26 years of my life, with some animal or another on my bed nearly every night. I'm fine. Great actually, never been to the doctor's for anything other than a UTI or birth control. Same for the rest of my family.

Is this directed at me? I don't get it, what are you referring to here?

**EDIT** never mind sorry, I now see you were referring to DBB's post, not mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement