Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rental property trashed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The consent of the DPP is needed to try criminal damage in the District Court.

Can you provide further details? Although it is the case in the UK that the DPP can take over and cease any private prosecutions, I had understood that in Irleand, for summary offences, either the relevant statute (eg RT)"A) reserved prosecutorial powers or else it was open to common informer etc unde Petty Sessions Ireland Act 1851.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Marcusm wrote: »
    Can you provide further details? Although it is the case in the UK that the DPP can take over and cease any private prosecutions, I had understood that in Irleand, for summary offences, either the relevant statute (eg RT)"A) reserved prosecutorial powers or else it was open to common informer etc unde Petty Sessions Ireland Act 1851.

Criminal damage is not a summary only offence. It can be tried either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

just to say ive nothing against people on RA but it just so happens this person was..... my friend was pretty naive and i told him so.... he didnt check up on the property enough....

so there is no point in reportin it to the guards....i thought so.... but he will be reporting it to who gives out the RA and hopefully they wont get it again...

what makes me sick is that my tax money goes towards this waster to sit around all day on his arse and smoke and drink...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

RULES FOR HAPPY LETTING

Never accept SW tenants.
    Never accept tenants who hand you cash.I always pay cash and get a receipt then we both know that I have paid
    Never accept tenants who are anxious to move in straight away..I have never moved in more than a week after finding a house
    Never accept tenants who are overly conscious of their rights.Those conscious of their rights know their responsibilities and wond have a "its only a week late; be grand" attitude.
    Always insist on at least 2 months deposit.That's a deal breaker for me, people rent because they don't have cash sitting about.
    Always interview all prospective tenants.I was told that I would have to be interviewed once and decided to go for my 2nd favourite house because it was less hassle.
    Google their names, especially using search words such as "charged", "convicted", "court", "gardai"
    Check out their FB page. Look for pics of house-parties.
    Always call to their place of work.Its unprofessional to give a company number for this purpose in many jobs.
    Always insist on references.But make exceptions for first time renters? What about references that can't be verified?
    Call unexpectedly to see how your property is being treated.
    Observe your property, or have a neighbour do so.Don't like the word observe...

All in all these things would turn off a good tenant and you will be left with someone with no better offer and will put up with you because no one else wants them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

RULES FOR HAPPY LETTING

Never accept SW tenants.
    Never accept tenants who hand you cash.
    Never accept tenants who are anxious to move in straight away..
    Never accept tenants who are overly conscious of their rights.
    Always insist on at least 2 months deposit.
    Always interview all prospective tenants.
    Google their names, especially using search words such as "charged", "convicted", "court", "gardai"
    Always call to their place of work.
    Always insist on references.
    Ascertain their previous 3 tenancies and check with previous landlords.
    Check all references.
    Observe your property, or have a neighbour do so.

The landlord who follows this list should be put on one of those warning blacklist websites! A stalker and a law-breaker who wants tenants who don't know their rights! At first I thought they may be taking the piss. Hilarious post really if I didn't think it was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

all of goodytwoshoes are not to be followed,
    two are bordering on lunacy,
    1 calling unexpectedly on tenant is against the rules of renting,
    a tenant is to have adaquate notice of ll calling and there has to be a date and time of visit agreed between ll and tenant, tenant deserves privacy,

having a neighbour observe the property is dangerous.
    i think it sounds like having tenants stalked.

as for sw tenants, i dont look at them any different to non sw tenants, people in these hard times cannot help it if they lost their jobs, why should they suffer not having a roof over their heads just because they lost their jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

goat2 wrote: »
    as for sw tenants, i dont look at them any different to non sw tenants, people in these hard times cannot help it if they lost their jobs, why should they suffer not having a roof over their heads just because they lost their jobs

I admire the sentiment but LLs are there to make rental income from their properties. While I don't wish to get embroiled in the "To SW or not to SW" debate, the ability of a tenant to pay is, and rightly so, of paramount importance when selecting a tenant. Ironically enough as alluded to by a previous poster that might be why certain LLs choose to go with SW tenants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think you got me wrong, it does not matter to me whether a person is on sw or not,
    there are a couple elements i am looking out for,
    1 no all night parties every week. which would mean cars coming going all hours and loud music going, i dont mind small get togethers now and then without huge blaring noise.
    this would annoy neighbours who have babies, and work to attend in morning
    2 i dont mind if a person has a pet such as, cat, small breed of dog, hamster, once they take good care of their pet,
    3 in other words, they have to fit in with living in a small village in the country.
    4 make home of the place while they are there,
    5 it may take meeting about 10 people who wish to rent to find the person.
    6 and the reason for meeting the right person and they renting, then i dont have to call to that place and leave them in peace, and make home of the place, without thinking that i could call round anytime, i dont see the person who stay in the place very often and that is the way they and i like it,
    as the person said, it is the first place that he has rented where he feels at ease, that is all i want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

tenants who wish to move in straight away are, from my experience disorganized and problematic. often they are being evicted or "asked to leave" their existing accommodation and therefore need somewhere quick.

i always get 2, and on occasions 3 months rent from tenants. 1 month's rent wont go very far, if as in this case someone trash's a place.

there's nothing illegal about calling to a property unexpectedly, if a neighbour has reported a leak which needs immediate attention. in fact it would be negligent not to do so.

i have many excellent tenants thankyou.

You would hardly be needing the 3 months deposit then, seeing as you are imune to bad tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

RULES FOR HAPPY LETTING

Never accept SW tenants.
    Never accept tenants who hand you cash.
    Never accept tenants who are anxious to move in straight away..
    Never accept tenants who are overly conscious of their rights.
    Always insist on at least 2 months deposit.
    Always interview all prospective tenants.
    Always call to their place of work.
    Always insist on references.
    Ascertain their previous 3 tenancies and check with previous landlords.
    Check all references.
    Observe your property, or have a neighbour do so.

There are plenty of respectable, professional people unemployed at the moment. Do you honestly think they should all be homeless?

I would never and have never given a 2 month deposit.

Everyone has been to a house party at some point. It doesn't mean the have parties themselves.

I would be very annoyed if a landlord call to my place of work. It is very inappropriate and a bad reflection on the tenant as an employee.

It is illegal for landlords to enter a property he/she has rented out without prior notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

tenants who wish to move in straight away are, from my experience disorganized and problematic. often they are being evicted or "asked to leave" their existing accommodation and therefore need somewhere quick.

i always get 2, and on occasions 3 months rent from tenants. 1 month's rent wont go very far, if as in this case someone trash's a place.

there's nothing illegal about calling to a property unexpectedly, if a neighbour has reported a leak which needs immediate attention. in fact it would be negligent not to do so.

i have many excellent tenants thankyou.

In most cases neighbours are never in the tenants houses so how could they tell a landlord there is a leak in the interior of the house/apt?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- we're really raking over the embers here.
    OP I'm closing the thread- if you'd like to post more on this topic- please PM me and I'll reopen it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement