Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing armour in a motorcycle jacket.

• 19-10-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Some years ago I bought a Lookwell leather jacket from a friend who had had it only 8 months before changing his mind about bikes due to an accident. The jacket has served me well. I have had several accidents inc incidents in which I received a broken ankle and a broken hand while wearing my lucky jacket :rolleyes:
    However after years of use and abuse the armour in the sleeves and shoulders has pretty much broken up. There are no buttons or zips in the jacket to replace the armour. Thge jacket could also use new zips fitted to the cuffs and the two side pockets. The main front zip was replaced not long after I got the jacket with a heavy duty zipper. Is there any place in the Dublin City area that can carry out the repairs needed? The place I had the front zip done is now gone. The jacket is old but I reckon it has a few more good years in it and it's comfortable. I am also a tight fisted bastard. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

You can get separate armor direct from Knox (for example) - http://store.planet-knox.com/knox-armour/limb-inserts/

but I'd avoid getting anything until you get someone lined up to do the actual replacement job. I wouldnt have thought it would be too difficult, but they would typically need to use a machine, as cordura etc is pretty bloody thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Lookwell is a pretty budget brand also, you can get a jacket new from about €80 so any repairs may not be financially viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

By the time you buy replacement armour and have it fitted along with new cuff and pocket zips you would really be better off buying a new jacket.
    Decent armour will be at least 30-40 euro and probably more.
    Zips and labour probably 50-60 if not more.
    A new jacket is probably only twice the maximum figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have to agree with the others, it'll cost more to repair than replace. Also after 8 years and a few crashes how secure is the stitching on the the seams?

You'd pick up a decent new one for the repair costs or a quality 2nd hand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Kungfu wrote: »
    Some years ago I bought a Lookwell leather jacket from a friend who had had it only 8 months before changing his mind about bikes due to an accident. The jacket has served me well. I have had several accidents inc incidents in which I received a broken ankle and a broken hand while wearing my lucky jacket :rolleyes:
    However after years of use and abuse the armour in the sleeves and shoulders has pretty much broken up. There are no buttons or zips in the jacket to replace the armour. Thge jacket could also use new zips fitted to the cuffs and the two side pockets. The main front zip was replaced not long after I got the jacket with a heavy duty zipper. Is there any place in the Dublin City area that can carry out the repairs needed? The place I had the front zip done is now gone. The jacket is old but I reckon it has a few more good years in it and it's comfortable. I am also a tight fisted bastard. Any advice?

Lol Ill be the same as you when my jacket starts to shít the bag. I hates brand new leather jackets, cant bate the broken in ones that are all dirty and crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Lol Ill be the same as you when my jacket starts to shít the bag. I hates brand new leather jackets, cant bate the broken in ones that are all dirty and crap.
    We wouldn't be dirty, greaser bikers in nice bright, new, shiny, gimp mask-look leathers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Kungfu wrote: »
    We wouldn't be dirty, greaser bikers in nice bright, new, shiny, gimp mask-look leathers!

598641_10151067205111669_296441022_n.jpg

got some funny looks going around like this after been on the field bike :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

This yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

+1 to what has been said already. Unless you are sentimental about this one, you can get decent jackets without spending too much. Or excellent jackets for similar figures, but used. RPM Drogheda has a sale on now - Buffallo jackets for 80 quid or so, Richa top and bottoms set for 200 etc. You will find decent deals if you shop around - german shops online usually have great deals for premium brand stuff.

Advertisement