Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of studying autocad

Options
  • 19-10-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys don't know if there has been many threads on this, but i have a metal fabrication trade and as in this day cant find work anywhere so i done a autocad intro with fas because i touched on it during my tech days and found it interesting , Anyway im just wondering can someone give me any advice on the next steps to take, to follow on studying cad, and what area of work would it open doors to would it be worth going the distance? and what colleges would be recommended

edit: also is autocad worth starting or would i be better off doing rivit?

feedback is much appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

try to learn solid works or something with a bit of 3d, not much work in cad here at the min, fas does a good cad course and if your not working you should get a course for free, worked with people who did it tru fas and others that learned it private and the quality of the work seems to be similiar but depends on what you put into it, see a lot of metal fab. companies looking for solid works experience

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say to go on Irishjobs.ie and jobs.ie now and look to see how many jobs posted are looking for people with AutoCAD, Inventor, and Revit. That should give you an idea of what employers are looking for now, also be aware that due to agencies some of the jobs posted are actually duplicates. You could also look on Totaljobs.com which is an English site and see what they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

metalfab wrote: »
    Hi Guys don't know if there has been many threads on this, but i have a metal fabrication trade and as in this day cant find work anywhere so i done a autocad intro with fas because i touched on it during my tech days and found it interesting , Anyway im just wondering can someone give me any advice on the next steps to take, to follow on studying cad, and what area of work would it open doors to would it be worth going the distance? and what colleges would be recommended

edit: also is autocad worth starting or would i be better off doing rivit?

feedback is much appreciated thanks

Undoubtly REVIT it has many modules including a mech which might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 metalfab

would game development have cad engine or is that completely different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Rather than taking it through fas,i'd recommend getting a FETAC engineering or computer course that includes CAD as a module,you'll get a better award at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 metalfab

could you recommend such a course i can't seem to find any im living in kildare, thanks

Advertisement