Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+/PVR Boxes & your TV watching habits

• 19-10-2012 1:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The days of watching ads, credits & previously on [insert series name here] seem to pass us by at x30 these days.
    I like to let a favorite TV Show get 15 minutes ahead these days before I hit the play button, I suspect I'm not the only one with this habit.
    Nothing nicer than recording a series in advance then watching it back without the cliffhanger endings meaning a weeks wait in between.

How have your viewing habits changed since the new tech arrived ?.
    What are marketing folk & programme makers doing to combat this ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

My life is infinitely better since my Sky+ box broke, leaving us with plain old Sky.

Now I no longer have to sit through endless playing of The Suite Life on Deck or Wizards of Wankerly Place that my daughter recorded over my programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Fuck Sky/UPC or any other ad filled crap like that anymore.

TV on demand through illegal streaming's where it's at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Vu+Duo Box - leaves Sky+ miles behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

summerskin wrote: »
    My life is infinitely better since my Sky+ box broke, leaving us with plain old Sky.

Now I no longer have to sit through endless playing of The Suite Life on Deck or Wizards of Wankerly Place that my daughter recorded over my programmes.
    You should just block those channels. That's what I did.

Disney = work of Satan.

Also, I rarely watch anything on Sky now, except maybe stuff on Discovery etc. Any series I'm interested in, I download and watch through my media player.

Streaming is shít for when you get home from work and just want to sit in front of 55inches of LED goodness and flick between Grand Designs and Premier League Darts, though.

You have to be organised to watch streams. You have to hunt them down, download them and then watch them on a shítty laptop or PC monitor (yes, i know some, but few, people use their TV out cable, blah blah).

TV all the way for me. Nowt like flicking through the channels. I'm not interested in what's on TV, I want to know what else is on, dammit.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »

Disney = work of Satan.

And be left with an angry, hormonal teenage daughter? Noooooooooooooo way. It's a small price to pay, letting her watch TV til 7pm, for my sanity.

Plus, Victoria Justice makes my boy places feel funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't watch the TV channels, pure muck. HTPC all the way, baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Streaming is shít for when you get home from work and just want to sit in front of 55inches of LED goodness and flick between Grand Designs and Premier League Darts, though.

You have to be organised to watch streams. You have to hunt them down, download them and then watch them on a shítty laptop or PC monitor (yes, i know some, but few, people use their TV out cable, blah blah).

TV all the way for me. Nowt like flicking through the channels. I'm not interested in what's on TV, I want to know what else is on, dammit.
    Nonsense. I have three sites, one for HD stuff, one for TV quality and one for speed.

When I get home from work I like to sit in front of 192" of DLP goodness and watch whatever the hell I want, when I want in whatever resolution I want.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Nonsense. I have three sites, one for HD stuff, one for TV quality and one for speed.

When I get home from work I like to sit in front of 192" of DLP goodness and watch whatever the hell I want, when I want in whatever resolution I want.

Well, when I get home from work, just before i left, i like to sit down in front of my IMAX screen, which i completely ignore because instead I have the actual cast members of each show i like come round and perform for me, and only me, my favourite shows and films. After this i go to bed where Engelbert Humperdinck gently serenades me to sleep as Jenna Jameson gives me fellatio.

The missus is stuck with RTE on the portable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well, when I get home from work, just before i left, i like to sit down in front of my IMAX screen, which i completely ignore because instead I have the actual cast members of each show i like come round and perform for me, and only me, my favourite shows and films. After this i go to bed where Engelbert Humperdinck gently serenades me to sleep as Jenna Jameson gives me fellatio.
    Imaginations where it's at these days, the set up on a full cast is a nightmare and you still have to spend ages cleaning actor poo off all your walls. Imagination is completely portable, it features "always on" and brings much more discussion about shows because everyone saw a completely different version of the same episode.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Imaginations where it's at these days, the set up on a full cast is a nightmare and you still have to spend ages cleaning actor poo off all your walls. Imagination is completely portable, it features "always on" and brings much more discussion about shows because everyone saw a completely different version of the same episode.

That's why I watch Kim and Aggie last. problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I don't have a television.
    My children grow up enjoying morning arts & crafts sessions followed by afternoon hill walking & finally drama classes just before bed.
    The sun shines out of all our arses & my superiority grease is constantly dripping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    What are marketing folk & programme makers doing to combat this ?.

Product placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

but torrents don't have ads...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

El Weirdo wrote: »

Disney = work of Satan.

Also, I rarely watch anything on Sky now, except maybe stuff on Discovery etc. Any series I'm interested in, I download and watch through my media player.

Unfortunately 2 of my media players are not familiar with the new x264 standard.
    Real first world problem there.

Advertisement