Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy 'the sound of silence' CD?

• 19-10-2012 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/st-peter-s-church-records-cd-of--the-sound-of-silence-.html
    A church desperate to raise funds has recorded 'the sound of silence' on to a CD which has become a surprise hit with its congregation.

Members of St Peter's Church in East Blatchington, Sussex, recorded 'a little bit of the silence' of the building's atmosphere.

The unusual audio has been a surprise hit with churchgoers, with St Peter's selling their first copies at an open day and taking more orders since.

The recording of St Peter's atmosphere features the ambient sound of footsteps, voices, background traffic noise - but mostly nothing at all.

Some people will buy anything :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ssshhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Is this Sound of Silence a cover of Simon and Garfunkel or is it supposed to be a new song with the same name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You probably would if it helped to raise funds for the church, but listen to it? Nah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

i would buy it. i like to relax in silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I can hear footsteps and traffic now. I must already have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have heard of people buying stupid things but this takes the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

The Sound of Silence-

I'd be happy to buy it if was recorded in a car boot, by a recently bludgeoned Jedward, just before they were pushed over a cliff to a watery grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hello darkness my old friend,
    Where the fúck did I put my pen.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

The Church is plagiarising John Cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4'33"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm waiting for the one featuring the whimpering of children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i keep imagining turning this on while driving, i might buy it just to freak out anybody i give a lift to...

shush! i love this part :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Was just about to look that up myself.

I hope the publishing company finds out and it and gets their big fat royalty cheque. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I was expecting Simon & Garfunkel. I am disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I wonder do the people bow and pray to it.

give me waves and whales any day over this :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

24 hours of ambient noise from Star trek.

Cure for insomnia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ah, but there's a method to their madness. What they're selling is not strictly silence, it's Ambience.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    What they're selling is not strictly silence, it's "room tone" a.k.a. Presence.

i want my money back :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bnt wrote: »
    Ah, but there's a method to their madness. What they're selling is not strictly silence, it's Ambience.

Merely a local recital. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Meh. More a fan of rain myself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwB2ddPUVA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I much prefer the sounds of science

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

What next..............perhaps a water to wine home kit containing a bottle of water and a bible :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

omega man wrote: »
    What next..............perhaps a water to wine home kit containing a bottle of water and a bible :rolleyes:
    well
    You could start by making holy water. You just boil the hell out of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

davet82 wrote: »
    i keep imagining turning this on while driving, i might buy it just to freak out anybody i give a lift to...

shush! i love this part :D

I'd a friend who did that to me, only it was a recording of a round of the rosary - I did not know what was happening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's not a proper representation of mass if there's no coughing. It should be dead silent for ages until one person coughs, followed by about fifteen other people who have wanted to cough for ages but have been too embarrassed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Let's hope no one farted during the recording...

Advertisement