Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation recommendation

• 19-10-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I am currently looking at insulating our attic- it just has the bare rafter beams and felt and so has no existing insulation for the roof.

I was looking at Xtratherm Rafterloc, however here is my difficulty:
    - rafterloc is 100mm thick and comes in 565 or 360 wide.
    - my rafters are 95mm deep (5mm less than the Rafterloc) and each rafter is somewhere between 240 and 280 apart.

So If I try to fit Rafterloc, they will stick out from the rafters as they are too thick (plus I know I should have a gap between the rafterloc and the felt, so they will stick out more than the extra 5mm!). Also if Rafterloc comes in pieces of 565 and my gaps are 240-280, can i cut it??

Or do people have a better suggestion here? Is spray foam insulation any good- I was cautious as heard condensation can be a big issue!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Do you use the attic as a room? If not then it will be cheaper, and irrespective of cost more effective to insulate at ceiling level.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

no it is not used as a room. This is the attic of a bungalow, and so the attic is big. It is about 9ft high at the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

if you are not using the space the best option is to insulate it at ceiling level with 300mm of rock wool or glass fiber this will keep the heat in the inhabited part of the house and you wont be trying to heat the attic as well . remember to not block the eaves with the insulation as the attic needs ventilation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

B&Q are doing 100mm rolls at €9.30 and 200mm at €11.60, cheapest i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

I do have the attic insulated at ceiling (attic floor) level. However I am concerned that now with the winter, the pipes in the attic may freeze. This is why I also wanted to insulate the roof and rafters. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone every tried the spray foam insulation? is it any good- is its insulation level as good as say the Rafterloc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

waste of time if you already have the insulation at ceiling level there will be no heat for the rafterloc to keep in the attic you would be better of spending your money insulating the water tank and pipes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

macuser56 wrote: »
    I do have the attic insulated at ceiling (attic floor) level. However I am concerned that now with the winter, the pipes in the attic may freeze. This is why I also wanted to insulate the roof and rafters. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone every tried the spray foam insulation? is it any good- is its insulation level as good as say the Rafterloc?

Did some one mention "spray foam"???

Bio-Foam 800 Open Cell sprayed into both attic spaces.:)

DSCF9833.jpg
    DSCF8148.jpg
    DSCF8156.jpg
    DSCF8166.jpg
    DSCF8173.jpg

The house is also fully insulated with 50mm and 80mm insulated slab through out.

BILD0315.jpg
    BILD0195.jpg
    DSCF9199.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »

Did some one mention "spray foam"???

Bio-Foam 800 Open Cell sprayed into both attic spaces.:)

DSCF9833.jpg
    DSCF8148.jpg
    DSCF8156.jpg
    DSCF8166.jpg
    DSCF8173.jpg

The house is also fully insulated with 50mm and 80mm insulated slab through out.

BILD0315.jpg
    BILD0195.jpg
    DSCF9199.jpg
    any problems with with damp or condensation with the house sealed up paddy?

Maudi wrote: »
    any problems with with damp or condensation with the house sealed up paddy?

Nope,none at all.

Have to open some windows sometimes though,as the heat can be a bit too much.:D

DSCF9671.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Do people still use rockwool and fiberglass?? Haven't used it in years.. Its all wool now!

• Advertisement

Johny 8 wrote: »
    Do people still use rockwool and fiberglass?? Haven't used it in years.. Its all wool now!

yes.:)

DSCF9198.jpg
    DSCF9204.jpg
    DSCF9199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

paddy147 wrote: »

yes.:)

ah but knuaff is wool

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Hi Paddy,

Did you ever find a solution to air vents? Did you get Stadium vents?

Thanks in advance.

Dmca

dmca77 wrote: »
    Hi Paddy,

Did you ever find a solution to air vents? Did you get Stadium vents?

Thanks in advance.

Dmca

I got them,thanks to a loal builders providers.:)

Advertisement