Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does Dublin mean to you?

• 19-10-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking for ideas for a photography project. I want to take pictures around the city of subjects/themes both good and bad that encapsulate our capital.

If you could only have one word to describe what Dublin means to you what would it be?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Tlou wrote: »
    I want to take pictures around the city of subjects/themes both good and bad that encapsulate our capital.

Skangers. Junkies. Pushers. Muggers. Roma beggars. Drunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

dublin city or county? the city is gank. i just think of negative words to associate the city.. but there's parts of south and north county which are nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tlou

Yep there's a lot of that alright...
    Specifically I'm referring to the city center, between the two canals. Hopefully it's not all bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

The Blessington Basin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I'm looking for ideas for a photography project. I want to take pictures around the city of subjects/themes both good and bad that encapsulate our capital.

If you could only have one word to describe what Dublin means to you what would it be?

Poets. Fistfights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i walk through the city centre every day, and somehow it does not seem to resemble a post-apocalyptic nightmare that a lot of other people assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

i walk through the city centre every day, and somehow it does not seem to resemble a post-apocalyptic nightmare that a lot of other people assume.

Mind you it certainly had the sky back in the eighties, remember a bright red sky over the GPO, very Night of the Comet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

...................between the two canals.

First image that springs to mind -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJijvzDTP3T9M2F4vOOrRA1kEsUaahRrekFqs_WcPbTEBhwhw8jw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dublin is just an airport to me.

I think Dublin is a very nice looking city now, many English cities are much bigger tips than Dublin. I remember walking through Manchester and seeing rats playing in derelict sites. Birmingham is a drab boring looking place even London looks horrible outside of the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Ahhhh here leave it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Skangers. Junkies. Pushers. Muggers. Roma beggars. Drunks.

Nothing positive at all Denis ??? Strange

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Nothing positive at all Denis ??? Strange

Of the city centre? No, that just about sums it up for me. There are nice parts of Dublin but town is definitely not one of them.

Walking on the pier at Dún Laoghaire, pint and stew for a couple of quid in the stag, walking to the three rock, Botanical Gardens for free

Q at Newlands cross to thumb home to Cork, and how it was respected

wandering through Smithfields after that match kicking a can with me mate, getting roared at by a Guard to stop waking the natives up

Getting ****e off a Guard and tell him to **** off and ring me cousin in store street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

"who da fug" ^^^ are you sure you should be in the photography forum? :p

if i had to think of something positive of dublin, that i liked.. would probably be the likes of merrion square.. the coloured doors...and some of the urban artwork peppered in the city. that's about the height of it!

"who da fug" ^^^ are you sure you should be in the photography forum? :p

if i had to think of something positive of dublin, that i liked.. would probably be the likes of merrion square.. the coloured doors...and some of the urban artwork peppered in the city. that's about the height of it!

we are talking about visual images, all the above I wished I had a camera for:cool:

Even the kid sniffing glue, just as a record of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Good: Stevens Green, grafton street, trinity college, some of the old pubs (Long Hall etc.), the new additions to the Liffey - James Joyce bridge etc, the cobbled streets of temple bar, ha'penny bridge. There's loads of great things in Dublin city centre, even if some people choose not to look beyond the filth and grime that hides it. Maybe it's my years spent away from it but I really love Dublin city as I did when living in it.

Depending on the project you choose you could highlight the complete contrast that you find sometimes standing in the one spot and looking in a different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tlou

sprinkles wrote: »
    Depending on the project you choose you could highlight the complete contrast that you find sometimes standing in the one spot and looking in a different direction.

Good thinking Sprinkles - now can you suggest the perfect spot from which to capture the essence of Dublin the good, the bad and the ugly?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Georgian.

Thinking off the top of my head, standing on the south side of the Ha'penny bridge would be one. There's always homeless people sitting in the arch way (BAD) and the beauty of the bridge the other (Good). I'm sure there's more. If you walk around the city centre and just keep an eye out. Maybe somewhere down near the James Joyce bridge? Or the new Convention Centre...

Or you could take a picture of the same scene during the day/morning when it's looking nice and the same scene at night with drunk people etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thomas St/Meath St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

The Boardwalk at lunchtime will show you every walk of life. Suited gents eating their sushi out of little plastic boxes, junkies comatose on the benches, ruddy faced homeless alcos drinking Dutch Gold and Bavaria, and tourists reading maps upside down.

That's actually a very good one, stand at the top of Thomas St - look Christ Church one way, junkie central/crime scene the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Good thinking Sprinkles - now can you suggest the perfect spot from which to capture the essence of Dublin the good, the bad and the ugly?

Have you considered going out and figuring out what Dublin means to you? Your project won't be much good if there's no real sentiment or emotion invested in it.

Why not take a weekend to wander around? You don't even have to bring your camera (but do anyway). Stroll into some of the older areas like The Liberties. Hop on the DART and spend half an hour wandering around each stop.

If you're looking for inspiration, head over to Flickr and search for Dublin. Not that I'd recommend stealing people's photo ideas, but it might give you a kickstart and tip you off to some interesting locations.

PS I'd be wary of taking photos of homeless people. Unless you're a very good photographer, and you have a strong idea of what you want to achieve thematically, shots like that can look clichéd and exploitative.

Advertisement