Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop up

Options
  • 19-10-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting the "install this web app" pop up every time I go to a new page when viewing boards on the iPhone - only started about an hour ago!

I have all pop ups disabled on safari, to no avail! I had a quick look online and a reply on one of the apple forums was that it was to do with the website itself!

I have also installed the app (boards) on to the phone but it's still coming up!

Is this a new thing now?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There is no app. That's just a shortcut to the site.

I'm not seeing any popups. However, I'm not browsing through an iPhone.

Are you able to screenshot it? Or is there a name for it you get prompted with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

There is no app. That's just a shortcut to the site.

I'm not seeing any popups. However, I'm not browsing through an iPhone.

Are you able to screenshot it? Or is there a name for it you get prompted with?
    Sorry your right it says "install app" but is really just a shortcut!

I can't screenshot because the sleep button on the phone isn't working!
    I think it's just the standard iPhone shortcut popup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

We added a notice to the touch site for iOS devices (iPhones/iPads/iPod Touch) that encourages users to add the site to their home screen via a shortcut. It's the same thing we do with IE9 users using the IE9 Website Pinning feature.

It is not a popup, it is a page element on our site that appears/disappears. This is why disabling popups has no effect. The notice should appear only once every 10 minutes.

There is no way for the script behind the notice to detect if you have just visited the page regularly via Safari browsing or via the home screen shortcut.

If you do not want it to display any more simply dismiss the notice by clicking on the X in the top right hand corner.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

It seems to have stopped happening now (maybe going to every 10mins), where as before it was appearing every time I clicked into a new page! Also the x to close pop up wasn't working!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

We added a notice to the touch site for iOS devices (iPhones/iPads/iPod Touch) that encourages users to add the site to their home screen via a shortcut. It's the same thing we do with IE9 users using the IE9 Website Pinning feature.

It is not a popup, it is a page element on our site that appears/disappears. This is why disabling popups has no effect. The notice should appear only once every 10 minutes.

There is no way for the script behind the notice to detect if you have just visited the page regularly via Safari browsing or via the home screen shortcut.

If you do not want it to display any more simply dismiss the notice by clicking on the X in the top right hand corner.

Danny

Unfortunately the X doesn't work. Still popping up on my screen every page I navigate to.

First world problem I know, but extremely irritating to the point where I'll skip logging on till it's disabled!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Can I get your device type and iOS version please? We've had no issue with it during testing

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Can I get your device type and iOS version please? We've had no issue with it during testing

Danny

iPhone 4s iOS 5

Last 5 mins it seems to be appearing randomly every 2 to 3 pages.
    That's a change in pattern from every page.
    Not as annoying now!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was getting that earlier on every page load (after clicking x) but it's stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Every 10 minutes seems a bit short, would every 30 or 60 not be a bit better, rather than having this pop up randomly if a user is on for an extended browse of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I was getting it yesterday on Safari on iphone ios6 but its gone today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

My Nokia 8850 has no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

It's popping up every 5-10 minutes on Atomic Webbrowser on my iPad.

Edit: Atomic Webrowser doesn't have an Add To Home Screen opTion anyway.

Advertisement