Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC build ~€950

Options
  • 19-10-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? - €950

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? - Software development, some video editing, some games (Minecraft and such, Skyrim).

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? - Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? - No

5. Do you need a monitor? - No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Can't remember the res, I'll get it later :o. I plan to upgrade in a few months, there's no rush on that.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? - No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? - No, not for now anyway. It could be nice to have the option to do so later, but it's not important to me at all.

8. How can you pay? - N/A, someone else ordering it.

9. When are you purchasing? - This weekend/Monday.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? - Dublin city, but I think I'll be ok to put it together myself.

Hi all,
    I'm in need of a new PC and have a budget of around 950-1000e at most. I have bit of experience upgrading PCs, but hardware is not my forte and I have never built my own PC before. So I am mostly here to ask for thoughts on the build I had in mind. I'm planning to get the parts through Scan and Overclockers instead of HWVS because I know someone in NI who deals with these sites a lot and is going to order everything for me and get it shipped.

IntelCore i5 3570K Box
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    BitFenix Merc Beta
    Samsung 830 Series SSD - 128GB
    Seagate Barracuda SATA III 2TB
    Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB (2x4) DDR3
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC Windforce 2X
    Corsair Builder Series CX 500W
    Lite On DVD Writer IHAS124
    Windows 7 Home Premium

It all adds up to 765 GBP, or ~940 EUR.

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome. I'm not too fussed about getting the cheapest parts I can find; I'm more concerned with reliability and making sure all the various bits fit together nicely. One thing I'm a bit iffy about is the PSU. I know almost nothing about PSUs and I'm not sure if the one I have listed is ok/under/overpowered for the build.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Since you're leaving yourself the option of overclocking, I'd add an after-market heatsink to that if i were you. But be aware that the high profile of that memory may become an issue when installing a large heatsink.

Also, here's a good place to start before you pick a psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

don't buy a cx series corsair psu there not fairly good and there are better options at that price range, try to look for something that's 80+ efficency aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The RAM is pretty pricey, you could pick up a much cheaper kit and never notice the performance difference.

This MSI 7870 on Scan is £20 less as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Great, I'll swap that RAM out for the Kingston. I would also be happy enough to exchange a Gigabyte 7870 for the MSI if there is no noticeable difference between the two - I mainly went for the Gigabyte because I know a bit more about the brand and it was on sale. But the MSI is only available for pre-order with no sign of the date they'll have it in stock. I think I'll have to pass on that option as I do want to order it this weekend if possible.

I'll definitely have a better look at PSUs and heatsinks. If I was to decide not to overclock at all, would I still need a heatsink? I'm thinking I might just leave the overclocking option out for this build.

IntelCore i5 3570K Box
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    BitFenix Merc Beta
    Samsung 830 Series SSD - 128GB
    Seagate Barracuda SATA III 2TB
    Kingston Memory HyperX Genesis Grey Dual Channel Kit 8GB (2x4)
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC Windforce 2X
    Corsair Builder Series CX 500W
    Lite On DVD Writer IHAS124
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Adjusting for the different RAM and a mistake I made in my calculations the price now stands at 798 GBP, or 980 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Ok, I've thoroughly confused myself with PSU stuff this afternoon. :p

I think I'll go with a Seasonic S12II or Corsair Enthusiast since I found some good reviews of those products that are in and around my price range and desired wattage. I'll get my expert NI friend to advise on which specific one to buy.

Anyway, thanks very much for the comments guys and/or gals, it's much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement